Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hottoddy's chat about work & settle in New Zealand

Hottoddy's chat about work & settle in New Zealand

Old Nov 23rd 2016, 7:08 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hottoddy's chat about work & settle in New Zealand

Well this is going well
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:15 pm
Banned

hottoddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi - newbie

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Out of interest, how many times have you migrated to somewhere? Most people on here are of the mid that it takes 18 months - 2 years to settle properly. Many people haven't even moved into a permanent home in three months, and many more have not managed to get work. Of course if you are young single and travelling life is a different ball game as you are not actually settling anywhere.
I have lived in several different countries.Not so sure why a person needs two years to settle (1)The Honeymoon,(2)The Rejection,(3)The Recovery, Its all to do with a persons mind.However i suppose a few psychiatrist must be making a few dollars from recovery persons
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Mere legalities

Doing things properly is so last century; like anyone can just rock up in NZ eh, no visa and grab any old job for three months, don't worry 'bout paying any taxes and bugger the consequences if you get sick or kids need to go to school, she'll be right eh? and hope that God will provide.
Hey stop twisting my words i have been around too many large internet forums for that.However when climate disruption takes hold for sure the legalities on entering any countries will not count for jack.I am not joking one billion on the move by 2025 and that could be a conservative number lots of fresh water in N.Z P.S god has nothing to do with it
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the legalities are there to be complied with, and are the law as far as immigration is concerned, ignore them at your own peril. At the moment you are, in fact, suggesting that people break the laws of the country they are moving to, which is both illegal, and making the suggestion is actually against forum rules.
If you so wish to twist my words so be it.Your comment really is not worth a lengthy reply its just nonsense
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Any person coming to NZ to work for a mere 3 months wouldn't learnt diddly squat. It is nowhere near enough time to decide whether or not NZ is for you. You'd still be in holiday mode for sure.
We spent 2.5 years in Wellington and although I quite liked the experience it wasn't a place that I would have remained and settled and for the Mrs she wasnt that happy to stay there. We wanted more so set about making changes to move elsewhere. We've now been in NZ nearly 5 years and still not settled 100%. We have found the area we want to live in but as yet we dont live in our own home as its still being constructed. We've been renting all that time. Hopefully when we do move in and we start living in the place we love and living a different lifestyle.....the one we came over for in 2012 then we can truly settle and integrate properly etc.

Unless you are here on a WHV an employer cannot offer work for less than 12 months. It would be illegal to do so and that offer wouldnt secure you a visa. The mandatory minimum period for a skilled job offer when considering a Temporary Work Visa or when claiming points in a Resident Visa application is 12 months.
Well to be fair we are all different we don`t all need years to know if we can settle in a different country.However getting back to the thread topic i am rather puzzled why someone that is unsure about moving to N.Z would risk so much in this kinda way.? The way i read the O.P original post was that she was also selling her U.K house.I mean come on there are alternatives and yes i mentioned temporary or short term employment.By what i read i don`t think the person in question has ever been to N.Z
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Well this is going well
Well normally the more a person says.The better it goes.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hottoddy
I have lived in several different countries.Not so sure why a person needs two years to settle (1)The Honeymoon,(2)The Rejection,(3)The Recovery, Its all to do with a persons mind.However i suppose a few psychiatrist must be making a few dollars from recovery persons
Yeah, but life doesn't just revolve around yours truly does it. Assuming you are not single and only have yourself to worry about, there are usually partners and children to consider in the move and they all have a say. The 2 year settling rule is just an average guideline when taking all things in to account.
In our case, we knew we'd be staying in NZ pretty quickly so in that respect we knew we'd be settling here, just not in Wellington.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 12:02 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

some people have to sell their house in the UK to afford to come over. I really do think your comments are misplaced and that you actually do not understand the process for a visa to enter NZ and work.
It doesn't matter what you or anyone else thinks should happen there are laws and regulations to adhere to and no one can bypass them without doing it illegally.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 1:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Yeah, but life doesn't just revolve around yours truly does it. Assuming you are not single and only have yourself to worry about, there are usually partners and children to consider in the move and they all have a say. The 2 year settling rule is just an average guideline when taking all things in to account.
In our case, we knew we'd be staying in NZ pretty quickly so in that respect we knew we'd be settling here, just not in Wellington.
Who said life revolves around me.? Although i have often been told i am the life and soul of most parties.And don`t assume anything about me for all you know i could have a whole tribe of children just like me that don`t need years to feel settled in a new country. As i said its down to a persons attitude which is not the same as saying LIFE REVOLVES AROUND ME.I haven't a problem if some people take two years from birth to walk.Or two years to settle into a country but both for me are excessive.Now let that be the end of it
Old Nov 24th 2016, 1:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You have misunderstood the use of language.

The phrase 'yours truly' means oneself.

In this case it is being used to mean that life & decision making doesn't revolve around the one person unless one is single and even then perhaps not if one loves parents and siblings. It also involves a partner and children so consideration for them as individuals.

It was not pointed at you personally.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 1:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
some people have to sell their house in the UK to afford to come over. I really do think your comments are misplaced and that you actually do not understand the process for a visa to enter NZ and work.
It doesn't matter what you or anyone else thinks should happen there are laws and regulations to adhere to and no one can bypass them without doing it illegally.
If there is equity in a property then in most cases a loan can be arranged property value in the U.K is worth much more that N.Z the last time i look so it makes sense to rent your property in the U.K especially if you are unsure you will settle in N.Z I think a blind man could make sense of what i have just typed.And yes i understand the process for a visa to enter N.Z and many other countries.And lastly i have not suggested in any of my comments that anyone should do anything illegally.ARE WE CLEAR ON THIS MATTER.? GOOD
Old Nov 24th 2016, 1:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by BEVS
You have misunderstood the use of language.

The phrase 'yours truly' means oneself.

In this case it is being used to mean that life & decision making doesn't revolve around the one person unless one is single and even then perhaps not if one loves parents and siblings. It also involves a partner and children so consideration for them as individuals.

It was not pointed at you personally.
Well i am glad to hear that because when that comment came to me it did sound as if it was directed at me.Probable me just being paranoid.?
Old Nov 24th 2016, 2:43 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

so you expect someone to get a loan out, and pay with NZ wage to cover it and a lender to agree to that? you also haven't mentioned the cost of renting out the property and the tax implications that changed last year.

This thread is really not going anywhere and I do not believe it is of any use to anyone..
Old Nov 24th 2016, 3:07 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is really not going anywhere and I do not believe it is of any use to anyone..
Entertainment value is there, just not real value!
Old Nov 24th 2016, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It is actually quite amusing; I feel almost certain it will receive some mention in the BE New Years Honours list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.