Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hope to be in NZ in 2 years........

Hope to be in NZ in 2 years........

Old Sep 15th 2007, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Lou-Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hope to be in NZ in 2 years........

Hi there

We hope to be in NZ in about 2 years, that is me Lou (33) husband Darren (38), 3 kids (13, 11 and 8).

I have contacted a few places re jobs and had some positive contacts already. Not sure how the proccess works though!!

When we apply for the EOI should i have a job offer in place or does that come after?

I work in education in administration, also NVQ qualified assessor and post 16 teacher. My husband works as a transport planner and hopes to do the same when we get there. What should we do first apply for jobs or submit the EOI?

I will be the main applicant due to quals that i have. We are planning to put the house on the market in Nov 2008.

Thanks for any advice you can offer
Lou
Old Sep 15th 2007, 2:10 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Hope to be in NZ in 2 years........

Hi Lou,

I feel it's advantageous to have a job first simply because you get more points on your EOI and you tend to get processed a bit faster.

Seeing as how you are a couple of years out it probably doesn't hurt to put feelers out, but I dunno, will an employer wait two years for you to come out? Maybe, could be you are that good.

Good luck.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply Happynz.

I don't think i'm that good though!!

I'll probably just keep contacting people and put a list of contacts together for later on.

Thanks again
Lou
Old Sep 15th 2007, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lou-Darren
Hi there

We hope to be in NZ in about 2 years, that is me Lou (33) husband Darren (38), 3 kids (13, 11 and 8).

I have contacted a few places re jobs and had some positive contacts already. Not sure how the proccess works though!!

When we apply for the EOI should i have a job offer in place or does that come after?

I work in education in administration, also NVQ qualified assessor and post 16 teacher. My husband works as a transport planner and hopes to do the same when we get there. What should we do first apply for jobs or submit the EOI?

I will be the main applicant due to quals that i have. We are planning to put the house on the market in Nov 2008.

Thanks for any advice you can offer
Lou

hi jacky g here

not critising when asking this question,just curious,why are you waiting 2 years to come out......
Old Sep 15th 2007, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future

we didn't come out via EOI, but I think that once you get picked from the EOI pool you have a set time to get your applications in and then I think its 12 months to make the month. Please correct me if I am wrong....

Also having just taken 5 months to sell our house - lucky for us it was a cash buyer and the first sensible offer, but it still took 12 weeks from offer to completion. Give yourself plenty of time to sell. we ended up moving out before the sale as we had a job to come to with a start date and needed to leave a lot of money in the UK to cover mortgage repayments, council tax, house insurance, visa bills etc.

Start now having clear outs and being ruthless selling on ebay and free-ads etc to raise money and declutter. Bring all the basics you can afford to, we were in a very lucky position to bring most of out stuff but still found it expensive starting up in a rental and buying basics like new freezer, microwave, toaster, bonds for rental, electric supply, phone/internet connection, getting a car etc etc and the cost of re-stocking your kitchen cupboards from fresh.
We did bring TV etc and that all works fine with the freeview system they have here. Couple of electrical's stopped working due to damp (our container leaked slightly!) but after a couple of weeks in the warm one of them is working again - wish I had put gel packs in the boxes with them though!!

But after 3 months we are loving it. The financial side has settled down and we are budgeting well with 3 very hungry children! Our eldest has settled well in school, has enjoyed his birthday here and we have made some great friends already. We are finding our quality of life is better and less stressful.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by garryhg
hi jacky g here

not critising when asking this question,just curious,why are you waiting 2 years to come out......
Hi Jacky g

Main reason is tied into mortgage until next November, would cost too much to pull out early!!

Also my eldest son will have just left school.

Lou
Old Sep 15th 2007, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi only reason i asked, my sister is going to australia,and has been planning this for about 2 years now,she was is same situation as you tied into mortgage....

2 years ago everyone was happy to gothey can now sell up,they are lucky they no longer have a morgage,but 2 years down the line,2 of her eldest children don't want to go,16 and 17 year old....

both have started college and are really happy......looks like she will either have to change her plans or go without them....

i know your kids are slightly younger, but a lot can happen in 2 years.....
on the plus side it does give you more time to plan things.....

gl with all your decisions.....jacky g