Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Holiday in NZ for 3 weeks - help please

Holiday in NZ for 3 weeks - help please

Old Nov 1st 2008, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holiday in NZ for 3 weeks - help please

Thinking of heading across (from Melbourne) to NZ for 2-3 weeks sometime in March or April, with Mrs Haggis and the kids (aged 8 and 6).

I'd greatly appreciate any advice, suggestions, hints etc on places to go, where to stay, things to do etc with the family.

I'm currently back in Glasgow (land of the long yellow vomit) so need something to get me excited.

Thanks awfully.
Col
Old Nov 1st 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday in NZ for 3 weeks - help please

We did 3 weeks holiday in a 6 berth campervan, we thought it was a fantastic way to travel, we too have a 6 & 8 year old (and Hubby also from Scotland) we loved it, we landed in Auckland and travelled down, the kids loved Routorua. We stayed in the top 10 campsites (www.top10.co.nz) which had everything for the kids and we met some great people on the way, we ended our journey at Christchurch (which is where we are moving too), I think my favorite place was www.AbelTasman.co.nz, top of the South Island, we also went Whale watching and also loved Hamner springs.

Hope this helps
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teebrown
We did 3 weeks holiday in a 6 berth campervan, we thought it was a fantastic way to travel, we too have a 6 & 8 year old (and Hubby also from Scotland) we loved it, we landed in Auckland and travelled down, the kids loved Routorua. We stayed in the top 10 campsites (www.top10.co.nz) which had everything for the kids and we met some great people on the way, we ended our journey at Christchurch (which is where we are moving too), I think my favorite place was www.AbelTasman.co.nz, top of the South Island, we also went Whale watching and also loved Hamner springs.

Hope this helps
we're living in chch and did a 5 day campervan trip with 2 children 6&4including Dunedin (chocolate factory), Queenstown (gondola, luge, minus 5 (ice bar), Wanaka (puzzling world) and Tekapo (hot springs, ice skating rink) and it was great fun.

Hubby and I also had a long weekend in Q'town without kids and did the Shotover Jet, helicopter flight onto The Remarkables and private hot pool at Onsens - very nice. So lots to do if you head south on the south island.

we've also done a trip to nelson and did world of wearable art and the animal land (can't remember what it's called) then drove down via Lake Rotoiti and onto Hanmer Springs
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Thinking of heading across (from Melbourne) to NZ for 2-3 weeks sometime in March or April, with Mrs Haggis and the kids (aged 8 and 6).

I'd greatly appreciate any advice, suggestions, hints etc on places to go, where to stay, things to do etc with the family.

I'm currently back in Glasgow (land of the long yellow vomit) so need something to get me excited.

Thanks awfully.
Col
IMHO you need a good 3 weeks and make sure you see the Bay of Islands.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teebrown

Hope this helps
Blimey, just what I was going to say. (almost)
The Glaciers are well worth a visit as well
We found fitting it all into 3 weeks was a bit hectic, 4 would have been better
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend the volcanic stuff on North Island (including Rotorua) and the glow worm caves at Waitomo and Tongariro National Park and if you have time Lake Taupo:

Rotorua:
http://www.skylineskyrides.co.nz/rotorua/ - also in Queenstown.
http://www.geyserland.co.nz/

Waitomo:
http://www.waitomo.com/ruakuri-cave.aspx - Ruakuri is better than the main one but you can get a combo ticket

Taupo:
http://www.cratersofthemoon.co.nz/
http://www.hukafalls.com/

Oh and don't forget Wellington as you will probably catch the ferry over to South Island from there...oh I mean from here.
The SkyTower in Auckland is also worth a visit.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

There's so much to see & do in NZ it's hard to think of howto fit it all into a mere 3 weeks. If you want to fit in both N&S islands it'll be a great trip, but of necessity you'll have to miss some things out. Or do you want to visit everything in just one island and plan to come back at some time to fit in the other?
If you want any info about Rotorua (sort of central N. Island...and definitely worth a visit ) give me a shout,and good luck with planning the trip, I'm sure you'll have a great time
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of

We went for three weeks in March / April this year. Weather was ace and it was quiet enough to book accommodation on the hoof. It was terrific but we only did the North island so we weren't rushing around too much (I'd done both South and North islands in 3 weeks when I was a student and felt like I was on a bus rushing around so I wasn't keen to to do it with a 3yr old).

As well as all the suggestions so far, we loved our time north of Auckland - Tutukaka and the Bay of Islands. We stayed at Pacific Rendezvous next to Tutukaka. Fantastic holiday park with private beaches, swimming pool, playground and lots of space to run around. We spent 4 nights there staying in a little chalet and were so relaxed by the time we left. We'd also perfected our sand sculpting!! Although it was a good couple of hours drive from Rendezvous, we did get up to the Bay of Islands for the obligatory dolphin spotting trip on one day. And my husband went diving on Poor Knights from Tutukaka too.

Pacific Rendezvous is at www.oceanresort.co.nz
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice

Hi

We also visited for 4 weeks last year. Hired a lovely big Toyota Previa from Apex car hire at Auckland (great service and price) We stayed at a lot of the Top 10 sites in chalets. They were great. The website is very helpful. Only thing was travelling time between sites took longer than estimated on their website and that was driving max speed allowed with short stops!

We only visited North Island and had a whole week in the Bay of Islands staying at Swiss Chalet Lodge Motel in Paihia, which was fantastic, gave us time to do the dolphin watch, and sailing on a catamaran, etc in the Bay of Islands. Apart from that great places were Cathedral Bay on the Coromandel, Rotorua, Taupo. We then headed down to Wellington and left the car there, flying back to Auckland (1 hour flight instead of 10 hours driving) got the flight included with our holiday booking.

You will have a fab time. We only went to the North island cos we are hoping to be out there next year and then can take time to visit the south island.

Best wishes, Lindsay
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper

Thanks awfully.
Col
Ok so your in Sunny Glesgsa and you need to get excited ..... first easy one .......... its warm here !!! hahaha

You really need to do Queenstown and do the bungee's superb fun