Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Holiday money - Money Passport

Holiday money - Money Passport

Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Holiday money - Money Passport

Instead of travellers cheques has anybody used a money passport
(Thomas Cook - Visa) in New Zealand?

Dont wont to use a credit card.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:02 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday money - Money Passport

Originally Posted by Kags1694

I'm sorry I have zero idea what a money passport is.

We brought over cold hard cash. And then used a card when we needed to secure stuff (hotel rooms etc) with a credit card that had airmiles attached.

If you can get a debit card, that should work... hopefully. Sorry a bit daft on those too. Spent the last 12 years in the US. People do *not* use them there!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz

We brought over cold hard cash. And then used a card when we needed to secure stuff (hotel rooms etc) with a credit card that had airmiles attached.

If you can get a debit card, that should work... hopefully. Sorry a bit daft on those too. Spent the last 12 years in the US. People do *not* use them there!
Thanks for advice
Old Feb 15th 2008, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

Also don't know what you mean by a Money passport.

You can use a UK debit card to withdraw cash from Bank machines but seriously unless you've got a very good reason not to have one...no international traveller should set out without at least one credit card in tow...they can get you out of all sorts of scrapes (and I am not saying you should get into debt on one)...they are commonly used here to pay for car parks at the barrier or machine, where for some reason debit cards are not accepted.

Once you have an NZ debit card you'll find you can use that for most things, even small transactions.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Also don't know what you mean by a Money passport.

You can use a UK debit card to withdraw cash from Bank machines but seriously unless you've got a very good reason not to have one...no international traveller should set out without at least one credit card in tow...they can get you out of all sorts of scrapes (and I am not saying you should get into debt on one)...they are commonly used here to pay for car parks at the barrier or machine, where for some reason debit cards are not accepted.

Once you have an NZ debit card you'll find you can use that for most things, even small transactions.
Hi
Money Passport is a card that you can get from a post office or a travel agents (Thomas Cook) you use it instead of travellers cheques you put money on it before you go and you can use it in cash machines and to purchase items
Regard
Karen
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:33 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Money Passport is a card that you can get from a post office or a travel agents (Thomas Cook) you use it instead of travellers cheques you put money on it before you go and you can use it in cash machines and to purchase items
Regard
Karen
I have still never heard of money passports. You might want to check that they take them in NZ. Asked US-born and raised hubby and he's never heard of them either.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 11:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I've also never heard of them but then I am an older type bird.

If you are actually arriving here to stay, then just open an ASB bank account via London or similar with any other NZ bank. Transfer some money into it. Its quick
and easy. Once you arrive here, nip into a branch and sort out a debit card.

Husband arrived with no money and we just did the above. No worries

Otherwise just use your cash point card for a while.

The exchange rate is rubbish right now, so it may be better that you transfer a set sum of ££ to $$ and use just that.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I've also never heard of them but then I am an older type bird.

If you are actually arriving here to stay, then just open an ASB bank account via London or similar with any other NZ bank. Transfer some money into it. Its quick
and easy. Once you arrive here, nip into a branch and sort out a debit card.

Husband arrived with no money and we just did the above. No worries

Otherwise just use your cash point card for a while.

The exchange rate is rubbish right now, so it may be better that you transfer a set sum of ££ to $$ and use just that.
Hi Bev,
We are over on a recci for 3 weeks.

I a not to sure if you remember helping me, with probems we had with my oh City and Guilds quals in joinery
we thought he was only going to get a level 3 because he did not do his advanced.
Once again thanks for your help and advice.

Kind Regards
Karen
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:47 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Google is your friend!

http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-...reignCurrency/

It's like a pre-paid VISA card.

I suppose it limits the risk if it gets copied or stolen but surely you're better just using a credit card. Then you get the backup and insurance they offer. This might not offer that (not that I read the details!!)
Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Google is your friend!

http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-...reignCurrency/

It's like a pre-paid VISA card.

I suppose it limits the risk if it gets copied or stolen but surely you're better just using a credit card. Then you get the backup and insurance they offer. This might not offer that (not that I read the details!!)
You can do pre-paid on any credit card by simply crediting it up front before you leave - avoids problems of going over a limit if very high spending is involved.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

I ask about one of those when we were going to Spain some time ago. The only thing is not everyone accepts them.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:35 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
I ask about one of those when we were going to Spain some time ago. The only thing is not everyone accepts them.
there is such a thing called a cash passport. you put an amount of money into your account to open it, can pay what you want into it and when you want. you can keep topping it up, and can access it online, and so can transfer money into it. you are issued 2 credit card type cards, and you get your own pin number. you can use it at all ATM's, and it dispenses local currency cash (providing the funds are there of course). it has superceded the old travellers cheque thing, and is a lot more secure. you can carry on paying into the account after you get back off your hols, or close the account. there is a small fee to close the account, and the remainder of the monies gets paid into your bank account, if there are any . so it is like an international debit card. google/have a look at 'travelex cash passport'. you get charged a small amount every time you draw out your funds, so better off withdrawing larger amounts.

i hope this is what you mean?
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

It sounds like a lot of hassle to me?
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:42 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
It sounds like a lot of hassle to me?
not really, i probably just explained it badly. basically you open your account up, and put the funds in it before you travel. then you dan draw out local currency via ATM's wherever (as long as the funds are there).
Old Feb 16th 2008, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Bodger1694 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
not really, i probably just explained it badly. basically you open your account up, and put the funds in it before you travel. then you dan draw out local currency via ATM's wherever (as long as the funds are there).

Has anybody used one while on holiday in New Zealand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.