Holden and Ford

Old May 13th 2005, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all
Default Holden and Ford

There is something I think ALL prospective immigrants need to learn befor they get to NZ - because heaven knows I didn't - is the Kiwi OBSESSION with cars - and not just all cars in general but the whole country can be divided in 2 by those who are Holden fans (???) and those who are Ford fans (?????)) I know it sounds like madness and I still am at a complete loss to understand it, but its true. LOL - this meant to be lighthearted so please replies only in that spirit wanted.... Does anyone know what this all about? Where does it come from?? My son has become a Holden devotee and already owns a Holden T-Shirt at th age of 7 and only 2 years as an ex-pat. His friend is a Ford devotee and it sparks conversation at school I am told??? Its a quirk I love - but completely do NOT understand about here. (by the way I am told Jeremy Clarkson recently rated a Holden in Australia as GREAT - the symbol is the same as vauxhall (Ithink) so my son was thrilled) Maybe its 'cause I am a girl and just don't 'get' this kinda thing??
Old May 13th 2005, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Holden and Ford

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
There is something I think ALL prospective immigrants need to learn befor they get to NZ - because heaven knows I didn't - is the Kiwi OBSESSION with cars - and not just all cars in general but the whole country can be divided in 2 by those who are Holden fans (???) and those who are Ford fans (?????)) I know it sounds like madness and I still am at a complete loss to understand it, but its true. LOL - this meant to be lighthearted so please replies only in that spirit wanted.... Does anyone know what this all about? Where does it come from?? My son has become a Holden devotee and already owns a Holden T-Shirt at th age of 7 and only 2 years as an ex-pat. His friend is a Ford devotee and it sparks conversation at school I am told??? Its a quirk I love - but completely do NOT understand about here. (by the way I am told Jeremy Clarkson recently rated a Holden in Australia as GREAT - the symbol is the same as vauxhall (Ithink) so my son was thrilled) Maybe its 'cause I am a girl and just don't 'get' this kinda thing??
Holden has same badge as Vauxhall cos both are American company General Motors in disguise, ie part of GM.....Ford=American...just a thought, is it all stemming from the amount of advertising etc we get rammed down our eye sockets on a daily basis???
Dave
Old May 13th 2005, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Paladin
Holden has same badge as Vauxhall cos both are American company General Motors in disguise, ie part of GM.....Ford=American...just a thought, is it all stemming from the amount of advertising etc we get rammed down our eye sockets on a daily basis???
Dave
Probably - but they really are split down the middle on this one. I guess I'm a POM and just don't undertsand it yet? My friends son was mortified last week when he found out his Dd was buying a Ford and not a Holden - he was really not happy about it and said he wouldn't go in it!!!! His brother on the other hand was delighted and can't wait to tell his mates Dads getting a Ford?? To use an americanism "go figure"????
Old May 13th 2005, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Probably - but they really are split down the middle on this one. I guess I'm a POM and just don't undertsand it yet? My friends son was mortified last week when he found out his Dd was buying a Ford and not a Holden - he was really not happy about it and said he wouldn't go in it!!!! His brother on the other hand was delighted and can't wait to tell his mates Dads getting a Ford?? To use an americanism "go figure"????
Jeez, sounds very weird to me.....guess I won't be able to even try to understand it til I experience it after we've moved. I lived in USA for 8 yrs+ when I was younger and it's a bit that way there but I don't think anyway near as extreme as you're explaining......I'll have to give you my feelings on it about a year from now LOLOL!!!!!
Dave
Old May 13th 2005, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paladin
Jeez, sounds very weird to me.....guess I won't be able to even try to understand it til I experience it after we've moved. I lived in USA for 8 yrs+ when I was younger and it's a bit that way there but I don't think anyway near as extreme as you're explaining......I'll have to give you my feelings on it about a year from now LOLOL!!!!!
Dave
I like to think of it as a little uniqueness of NZ, quirky, but unique! Have a great day.
Old May 13th 2005, 9:39 am

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Reminds me of a time in Wanganui when I heard a young boy (8 years?) say to his friend 'well I'm a ford man myself'.

I'm 50 years old and still remember the competition between my father and uncle - we had holdens

However my favourite car was my stag ...magenta and gorgeus - Simon - the best was driving her through the buller gorge! Loved my stag.
Old May 13th 2005, 10:11 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
Reminds me of a time in Wanganui when I heard a young boy (8 years?) say to his friend 'well I'm a ford man myself'.

I'm 50 years old and still remember the competition between my father and uncle - we had holdens

However my favourite car was my stag ...magenta and gorgeus - Simon - the best was driving her through the buller gorge! Loved my stag.
I really don't give a stuff about cars - as long as it gets me from A - B and can fit the kids in then fine!
TV's and Hi Fi - that's a different story!
Old May 13th 2005, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I like Toyota's loved the Ute add where the farmer tries to pull a cow out of the mud, strangles it instead and says BUGGER!
Great advert (poor cow I know, but it is TV). Having said that we always owned FORD'S.
Used to love the Toffee pops add with Carlos Spencer too. Yummy!
KAZ
Old May 13th 2005, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

terrybr is on a distinguished road

NZ is a small, isolated town and like many small, isolated towns minor issues can assume great importance, such as the diference between Ford and Holden (is there a difference?). You will find many issues in NZ such as this where you find yourself wondering 'who cares?'

BTW I was a Ford man, before I left NZ, widened my experience and bought a... Mitsubishi GASP! Having gone through a gambit of basic to luxury cars I now drive an MX5 - sex on wheels
Old May 13th 2005, 12:21 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terrybr
NZ is a small, isolated town and like many small, isolated towns minor issues can assume great importance, such as the diference between Ford and Holden (is there a difference?). You will find many issues in NZ such as this where you find yourself wondering 'who cares?'

BTW I was a Ford man, before I left NZ, widened my experience and bought a... Mitsubishi GASP! Having gone through a gambit of basic to luxury cars I now drive an MX5 - sex on wheels
Phew - I'm glad NZ is only a small town, I was thinking it was a great big country!
Old May 13th 2005, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

terrybr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Biddy
Phew - I'm glad NZ is only a small town, I was thinking it was a great big country!
Well it thinks it is...
Old May 13th 2005, 12:54 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Holden V Ford.

This rivalry is as old as cars themselves. Back in the dim distant past, all Aussie cars were either American or British. American cars were preferred as they were more rugged. A small saddlery from Adelaide (J A Holden and Co) got involved in building motor bodies and motorcycle sidecars, and later became the sole motor body supplier to GM in Australia, and later became General Motors Holden. Eventually they were invited by the government to build the first ever Australian car, which they subsequently did and thus the Holden FX was born.

Just as in the US, a sales rivalry formed between GMH and Ford. This spilled over into motor racing and continues to this day.

These days, Holdens are actually re-engineered Opels - bigger engines and beefier suspensions for Australian conditions.

How do I know all this? I just watched "100 years of Holden" on the History Channel...

The ultimate Ford-Holden racing series is the Australian V8 Supercar series, and the best race of the year is held at Bathurst.

It is of course well known that Holdens Rule, and Fords do the other thing...!!!

Stags... well my name is Simon and I have owned several Stags. A truly wonderful car. Can't wait to get another one.

Oh and if you think that this rivalry is evidence of "small town" mentality, I give you the following:

Scotland - Celtic and Rangers
Ireland - Catholics and Protestants
England - Man United and Liverpool

And of course the thousands of other examples...

Last edited by kiwijetpilot; May 13th 2005 at 12:57 pm.
Old May 13th 2005, 1:10 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Its mad the car culture here and if you have teenage sons like me it is even worse cos all you do is worry for your offspring.

This was taken at a show ground just down the road from us, I must admit I love to see these cars but the youth seem to have gone mad on cars!

Old May 13th 2005, 1:11 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 13th 2005, 1:12 pm
sky
Banned

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.