Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

hire car companies

hire car companies

Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:09 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hire car companies

I am checking out hire car companies today. Avis and Budget want to charge me btwn 1400 and 1600 dollars for a half decent car.

I also saw a company called 'Rent a Dent' which made me smile - doesnt instill a whole load of confidence though!

Who did you use for your car hire?

And what insurance did you take out? One travel agent told me to go with a fully inclusive insurance which has no excess and no daily rate or summit - i cant remember what she said now.

All i Know is £500 plus seems an awful lot for a ruddy car.

since i am staying in a B&B 10 mins from Welly maybe I should assess the requirement for car when I get there and just hire for a week?
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of
Default Re: hire car companies

Try finding a local company (easier said than done I know) and then haggle hard with them.

Make sure you are not getting a car that has been written off or is an old model without airbags etc. The driving across all of NZ is terrible, so get the safest car that you can.

Burt
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:16 pm

cheers BurtWink - have to say i am NOT looking forward to driving there. I might just leave it all to other half unless we're on a straight road with no junctions!!

spose thats where insurance comes into it - get some with no excess. just in case!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

Make sure that you watch Mad Max before your trip! LOL

Burt
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Burt Badger

Burt
do enlighten?
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:40 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
I am checking out hire car companies today. Avis and Budget want to charge me btwn 1400 and 1600 dollars for a half decent car.

I also saw a company called 'Rent a Dent' which made me smile - doesnt instill a whole load of confidence though!

And what insurance did you take out? One travel agent told me to go with a fully inclusive insurance which has no excess and no daily rate or summit - i cant remember what she said now.

since i am staying in a B&B 10 mins from Welly maybe I should assess the requirement for car when I get there and just hire for a week?
One of the perks of my job is free membership to the Hertz Gold Club, so we're going with them. We're paying US$1,300 for 15 days for a small SUV (Ford Escape or whatever the equivalent is over there, I forget the name of it now). It would be US$!,100 without Gold Club, but we'd have to buy our own insurance on top of that, and that would include a $3,000 deductible! :scared: Not sure if that's US or NZ money, but we are fully insured with no deductible, so for us it's a bit of a no-brainer.

Our rental is also a little cheaper as we're renting in Welly, but dropping off at Auckland airport. Apparently if you rent in Welly and can drop off within 48 hours at AKL, you'll get quite the discount. I guess they pay people to drive the cars from south to north. There's a market for it as a job!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:46 pm

you lucky sod
Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:04 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

you lucky sod
At your service.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:50 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Try www.btritzontour.co.nz

Some-one on here recommended them a little while ago, (Poppets I think )

they cover just about every car hire company in NZ and suit all pockets
Old Jan 5th 2007, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

Burt
You are so right, I find the standard of driving in Auckland particularly "interesting":scared:
Old Jan 5th 2007, 4:18 pm
Maz

Burt
Another thing to bash NZ about, I see. You ever driven in Paris?...
Old Jan 5th 2007, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz
Another thing to bash NZ about, I see. You ever driven in Paris?...
or China
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Try http://www.gorentals.co.nz/cust/hotDeals.asp i used them when i visited in August and they were good as you can rent slightly older cars for less.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:51 pm

thanks for that - yes i have been looking at gorentals.

did you take the extra insurance (no excess)?
and what car would you recommend?
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read all the replys but if no one else has mentioned them we used DCR in lower hutt if that helps, will get back with more info if i can find it xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.