Higher Education

Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Northern Man 49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Higher Education

Hi all
It was suggested to our daughter to finish her degree in Sports Science in NZ. Ideally we'd like to be in Wellington if we can (family are there) and we've seen there are options for her in terms of Universities in that area.
So - is it a case of her applying to study directly to the Uni? Presumably we'd have to support her (ok with that) but I'm sure she'd like a part time job to help.

Can anyone offer any advice on this? Would she need to sit an exam or would her grades be enough?
Cheers!
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:05 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Higher Education

have a look here: https://www.hotcoursesabroad.com/stu.../programs.html
for Universities that cover it.

You would probably have to pay international student fees but the best thing would be to contact the Universities direct.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:55 am
Just Joined

This is great, thanks very much for the link!
Old Oct 24th 2017, 11:26 am
Just Joined

NZray is an unknown quantity at this point

Most universities often sports science but you should opt for the major universities - Auckland uni, Victoria, Otago although AUT is one of the best in this area

She should be able to get cross credit if she's part way so it will save her some time.

If you have PR you can pay domestic fees but you cannot get student loan unless you've been in nz for two years or more
Old Oct 24th 2017, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZray
Most universities often sports science but you should opt for the major universities - Auckland uni, Victoria, Otago although AUT is one of the best in this area

She should be able to get cross credit if she's part way so it will save her some time.

If you have PR you can pay domestic fees but you cannot get student loan unless you've been in nz for two years or more
It's called Recognition of Prior Learning. She will need all of the unit guides and course syllabi so that the NZ university can assess them for equivalence.

New Zealand punches above its weight for tertiary education. The University of Auckland and University of Otago are competitive at a global level.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 11:51 am
Just Joined

So presumably if she presents the syllabus from Uni along with her grades, they can decide from there. Brilliant, thanks very much everyone
Old Oct 25th 2017, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Get in contact with the Universities straight away - the current Year 13 students who have university entrance already have their places and halls of residence sorted. It's by no means too late, but they are getting ready for next year now. You could also touch base with studylink about loans, but as she hasn't been living in NZ she won't be able to access the normal loans, but no harm in seeing if there is anything she could borrow.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your comments - I understand that the academic year is Feb to Nov so she wouldn't start until Feb 19. Would the accommodation for that academic year be arranged already?
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:58 am
Just Joined

NZray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Northern Man 49
Thanks for your comments - I understand that the academic year is Feb to Nov so she wouldn't start until Feb 19. Would the accommodation for that academic year be arranged already?
Most likely and the cut off date for application is early December !!
Old Oct 25th 2017, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Northern Man 49
Yes, the universities have already allocated places in Halls for next year, which is why you need to contact them asap.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 9:42 am
Just Joined

December... right she'd better get her skates on and get it sorted.

All - thanks for your comments, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my questions
Old Oct 26th 2017, 9:37 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZray
Most likely and the cut off date for application is early December !!

Feb 19 is over a year away so plenty of time, places to start Feb 18 will be running short. There is no central application org here though so dates vary by uni.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 6:27 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

my daughter is in year 12 and has already made contact with Universities about courses and accommodation and she won't go until Feb 2019. She needed to work out what results she needed this year as this is the year the Universities look at to fill places as results do not come in from externals until after the school year has finished.
She also knows what sort of fund payment she would get for certain results, haven't looked into that side to much myself at the moment so not sure if its a loan or a sponsorship type payment. Think their were knocking about 7K as the top payment she could get.
MOSO do you know what I am talking about??
Old Oct 27th 2017, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs F, I think you're talking about Uni entrance which you get automatically if you get a merit or excellence in NCEA 2 with enough university credits(year 12). If you do a scholarship exam in Year 13, you can get $500 per subject depending on your results from NZQA. The university scholarships I think you're talking about you have to apply for directly from the university depending on the criteria they set (subject results, ethnicity, financial hardship etc). Some of them are from companies who may sponsor one student and offer them up to around $5000, but there are only very few of those available and you have to apply and get references. Next year's tuition fees are free for NZ citizens now anyway.

Last edited by MOSO; Oct 27th 2017 at 4:53 am.