Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi there We have been in NZ three weeks now....

Hi there We have been in NZ three weeks now....

Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:16 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hi there We have been in NZ three weeks now....

Hi there
We have been in NZ three weeks now but its not our first visit we came here 5 years ago and worked on the South Island for six months
We both have residency permits and have moved to the North Island.My wife is a Nurse so we got in by the skill shortage route.
Our first thoughts are "its so expensive" and its not stopped raining since we have been here.We are unsure we have done the right thing. Its not that easy to find work and you both need to work here the cost of living is not cheap I dont want to sound like a winging pomm. We have traveled quite a lot and lived in a few different countries.Just give it a long hard look before you jump.
Brian

Last edited by bdclayton; Oct 14th 2009 at 11:19 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hi there We have been in NZ three weeks now....

Hi and welcome to this NZ forum.

I have moved your post into a thread of it's own as you are here, but unsettled and geoffwa4 is just starting out with his plans & has made his first Intro post

Perhaps post your concerns into the main NZ forum. You'll not be the first migrant to have major wobbles after the first few weeks/months.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:53 am
Just Joined

EleanorJeram is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Hi there We have been in NZ three weeks now....

Hi,

We've been here 2 weeks now. My husband was lucky enough to secure a job, temp till June but a job!, before we left the UK. I'm currently looking. It is hard and I'm getting bored at the moment.

We were last here about 4 years ago, so very similar to you, but we just did the travelling thing. It is more expensive than we remember it, and due to the bad exchange rate we haven't got as much as I thought we would have when we started planning all this...we've only got a small amount of savings, no house sale or anything so really starting from scratch over here. But I'm still sure we've done the right thing.

Where abouts are you?

Eleanor
Old Oct 15th 2009, 6:37 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Eleanor
I know what you mean about the boredom especially with all this rain.
We too don't have the money of a house sale from England to fall back on.
But we have a house in Bulgaria we spent 6 months there before coming to New Zealand. Maybe we are missing that ?
I have applied for several jobs but no luck so far.
where are you in NZ ? We are based in Tauranga.
Well the positive thing is the weather can only get better
I think you need two wages to live here from the prices i have seen so far
good luck with everything
Brian
Old Oct 15th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Hey don't worry about the rain
It's spring...it's meant to rain...that's what makes it so green
Everything looks better in the summer and that's not far.
Welcome home!
Try not to compare and enjoy it for what it is...oh and have a pie..pref steak and cheese and it's the best comfort food
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bdclayton
Hi Eleanor
I know what you mean about the boredom especially with all this rain.
We too don't have the money of a house sale from England to fall back on.
But we have a house in Bulgaria we spent 6 months there before coming to New Zealand. Maybe we are missing that ?
I have applied for several jobs but no luck so far.
where are you in NZ ? We are based in Tauranga.
Well the positive thing is the weather can only get better
I think you need two wages to live here from the prices i have seen so far
good luck with everything
Brian
Hi Brian

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to Tauranga.
We are also new to the area we arrived 7 weeks ago.
We are in Papamoa.
We are in a similar postion as yourselves, except hubby is the nurse and im not working at the minute.
Keep an eye out in the meet up section of the forum as there are meet ups in our area, for newbies and oldies alike these can be very helpful in forging new friendships and gaining advise and help from people already here.

Keep your chin up about the weather we did have quite a few nice warm sunny days before the rain came, and i have been assured by loads of people that the weather does get much better.

Ginny

Ginny
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi - we have been here 9 weeks and lovin it -yeah a bit wet recently but is still sooo beautiful & at least we know summer will arrive - you have done the right thing - PM me if you want to we are local to you -
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:16 am
Busy Again

Smile Re: Hi there We have been in NZ three weeks now....

thanks for your kind reply.
we sort of know that the weather is only a blip.
its more of the job outlook that looks bleaker than the weather.
I was always busy back in the UK so its taking some getting adjusted to being unemployed its the first time ever.
I really find it odd my wife going to work whilst i am at home ( and very boring)
I sort of know the reply's I will get from this comment but i really am not used to being out of work.
Of course we will give it more time but you even have to set a limit on that too.
We did "fall in love with New Zealand" the last time we were here that's why we are back. But you have to be a realistic you do need both of you too work and there are other options. We don't have expensive tastes and high lifestyle expectations we have lived in other countries so its not like we are new to this and its a "settling down thing". Hopefully things will get better on the job front and things will look a bit different then.
Brian:
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:12 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the site. I really hope things get easier for you soon Hopefully you will find a good job very soon too
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're finding things tough - I guess with so much time on your hands it must be boring, especially if you're used to being busy.

Hope the weather improves for you and you get a job soon,

Viktoria
Originally Posted by bdclayton
thanks for your kind reply.
we sort of know that the weather is only a blip.
its more of the job outlook that looks bleaker than the weather.
I was always busy back in the UK so its taking some getting adjusted to being unemployed its the first time ever.
I really find it odd my wife going to work whilst i am at home ( and very boring)
I sort of know the reply's I will get from this comment but i really am not used to being out of work.
Of course we will give it more time but you even have to set a limit on that too.
We did "fall in love with New Zealand" the last time we were here that's why we are back. But you have to be a realistic you do need both of you too work and there are other options. We don't have expensive tastes and high lifestyle expectations we have lived in other countries so its not like we are new to this and its a "settling down thing". Hopefully things will get better on the job front and things will look a bit different then.
Brian:
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:32 am
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cadibel
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're finding things tough - I guess with so much time on your hands it must be boring, especially if you're used to being busy.

Hope the weather improves for you and you get a job soon,

Viktoria
Hi and welcome, we too are hoping to come to tauranga in jan, I have secured a job as a nurse there. do you have children? We are ?? about the schools for ours, our 2 boys are 13 and 16. Hope things settle soon for you. Good luck and will watch out for your posts as you will be locol to us.

Tina. x
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:47 pm
Busy Again

Hi there Tina
thanks for your reply is your job at Tauranga hospital ?
Not sure about the schools we don't have children here.
still no luck on the job front here but it is getting warmer.
If you have a job at Tauranga Hospital just to warn you Cameron Road is a vey busy road with loads of traffic as is Fraser St so don't be surprised when you see it.Good luck with the move.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

that you find some work soon.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the job hunt, I hope that something turns up for you soon.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Hi! - look i'm sure things will pick up! good luck on the work front!!!
Berni
xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.