Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi newbie here advice please

Hi newbie here advice please

Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

wingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nice
Default Hi newbie here advice please

Hi all ive just joined you site and was looking for some friendly advice about 2 yrs ago my oh got offered job with stabi craft invercargill but as i fell preg with 2nd child decided not to go i have heard invercargill is freezing in summer and winter could someone tell me what there weather is like plz and after watching christchurch i really fancy that could someone advise on what christchurch weather like in summer and winter plz and what its like for young family 2 boys aged 1 and 3

Thanks for any info

tracey
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi newbie here advice please

We are heading for Chch in March, it is a beautiful city and I use the city terms loosely, it's very green and in summer it can have beautiful weather and I think last year in Winter it even snowed for the first time in a long time, but it can get cold but nothing on the scale we have in UK. You can get 4 seasons in one day though, the day can start sunny but by the time evening comes it could be cold and pouring down.

People do say NZ has longer hours of sunshine and shorter winters, and I do know it is warmer than Invercargill.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

wingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nicewingy is just really nice

hi there

thnks for your reply good luck with move in march and you can then give me 1st hand your experiences
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wingy
Hi all ive just joined you site and was looking for some friendly advice about 2 yrs ago my oh got offered job with stabi craft invercargill but as i fell preg with 2nd child decided not to go i have heard invercargill is freezing in summer and winter could someone tell me what there weather is like plz and after watching christchurch i really fancy that could someone advise on what christchurch weather like in summer and winter plz and what its like for young family 2 boys aged 1 and 3

Thanks for any info

tracey
Hi Tracey Invercargill is cold and I have to say myself that at times I have found Christchurch AS cold as the uk.. We have to date had so much good weather and we have at times been hotter then Auckland you need to ensure that you have some form of heating in all the places you may live in and I have to say you will need a jumper on inside in the Winter months dont you just love c/heating we all left that behind in the UK:curse:
We have lived as far as Kerikeri but live now in ChCh and love the place.
Lin
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any info

tracey
we are in Chch (rolly) and have been for the past year, the summers tend to be warmer than the uk and the winters ... well i never stopped wearing short sleeve shirts to work, but being from Glasgow I was a bit more used to the cold, last year during the winter I can only recall one day where it was under freezing point !!
But as a place chc is fab, love the small town feel yet big enough to be a city
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Kia Ora . Welcome . Have some kartma to get you started,
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Ulster will become famous soon enough

Thanks for any info

tracey
Invercargill is cold year round.

Christchurch has warm summers as the land is very flat unlike Wellington & Auckland. Can be cold in Winter though aswell.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:45 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ulster
Invercargill is cold year round.

Christchurch has warm summers as the land is very flat unlike Wellington & Auckland. Can be cold in Winter though aswell.
Hi
Have to say not all of Christcurch is flat we have Cashmere hills, Redcliffs, McCormacks bay,Sumner not all flat, Clifton hill, Tai Tapu has flat parts but stunning hill views, Oxford semi flat with spacious country freedom and close to the hills. Parts of Westmorland are not on the flat, but we need to have the flat parts thats how we grow food Also the Greta Valley has rolling hills, hope this may help
Lin
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:46 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

My BIL and wife live in Invers, and it can have hotter weather than us in Dunedin sometimes, because it is at the bottom of NZ the weather can be as unpredictable as here or any other part of NZ, they get a fair share of rain and showers, but thats why its so green down there and lots of dairy farms, there are quite a few Brits down there, and TBH its not a bad wee town, all flat like CHCH, hardly any crime, no traffic jams and some of the best scenery in NZ on your doorstep, Otatara is the bestest place to live down ther, anything south of railway line is student zone and rough as, good for investment propertyies, the mayor is ex Jafa, Auckland, and loves the place, he has done so much for Invers, the poeple are friendly as, alhtough abit rugged.

When they do strike oil and gas off the coast, it will boom down there, BP and Shell have bought land down there, so they know the score, it is a very afforable place to live, about 45k people, loads of space, awesome fishing rivers, beach you can speen along and just about every thing you need.

Yes if you want warmer weather and sunshine then head to OZ, but if you are hell bent on NZ, then Ivers is as good as any place to live or even start off in, i know Lasercraft in Dunedin were looking for alloy boat builders a few weeks back look in Otago Daily Times web site on jobs

Good luck woth your decision, but anywhere in NZ is far better than UK in my books, and life here is what you make it, and you can be what you want to be here in NZ with a new life, my BIL loves it down there and the weather does not bother them at all.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Christchurch is lovely. Haven't had a winter coat in the 2 years I have been here. Been boiling lately. All I wear in winter is a fleece and scarf. Winters are cold and sunny - none of that week in week out damp foggy rainy weather. If it is frozen in the morning, you know the sun is gonna be shining most of the day. I would say on average it is dryer in the south island than the north island, north have hot humid and we have dry sunny. South Island isn't for everyone though. Diverse scenery and I cannot comment on Ivercargill cause I haven't been but it is so far south, like Scotland is so far north so would be the same weather I expect. Don't forget you have to reverse everything here. North facing gardens, not south and further north you go the warmer it gets. I like the climate here and Chch and have seen some houses with Central Heating to boot!!