Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi forum! Looking to move to New Zealand next year.

Hi forum! Looking to move to New Zealand next year.

Old Sep 8th 2011, 6:52 am
Just Joined

ShShShaun is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hi forum! Looking to move to New Zealand next year.

Hi All,

I'm brand new to this forum so please be nice to me!

I've been looking into coming over to New Zealand on a 12-23 month visa from a company called BUNAC. Originally I wanted to come over as part of a gap year between the 2nd and 3rd years of my degree but have since decided that I'm going to finish my degree and then come over in either July or August 2012.

I've been lurking on here for a while to see what people think, and was wondering if anyone could tell me whether what I'm hoping for and planning is worthwhile.

I'm just about to start my 3rd year studying Marketing at one of the top business schools in the UK, from what I gather, that won't count for much in New Zealand. However, I have been told my university maintains strong links with the country. Although the purpose of my visa is a working holiday and any work undertaken is temporary and incidental to my stay, from what I can gather, Auckland seems like the best place for me to go to. What I'm asking is, how interested would the larger and smaller firms in Auckland be in a recent British graduate looking for work in my field of interest? I have noticed that one of the recognised future growth areas in New Zealand is advertising, and have some practical experience (as much as a 20 year old student can have, I suppose) in that area.

Mainly, my reasons for wanting to move are to get the hell out of the UK - I'm not going to lie, and New Zealand to me has always seemed like a brilliant place to live and work, have only been once on holiday but really did love it, and know a few other British who have moved out there and are enjoying it.

I will be contacting as many companies in New Zealand as possible when I start back at university in October - but was just wondering if anyone on here has had a similar experience or knows anyone who has. Advice and experience stories from real people is always more valuable than what's written on paper in my view.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has taken the time to read this and replies, hope I don't sound too naive!

Old Sep 10th 2011, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi forum! Looking to move to New Zealand next year.

Sorry, cant offer any advice but I'm sure you'll love Auckland (as I do) when you get here.
Don't write off other cities, Wellington in particular has a lot of large international business HQ's

Good luck with your plans