Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

hi all new member.

hi all new member.

Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:06 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hi all new member.

Sorry I've got no pearls of wisdom to add at this stage, cos these two hve said it all

I just wanted to say 'Hi' and welcome to the most addictive site on the net!!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 5:30 am
Just Joined

tallpaul2uk will become famous soon enoughtallpaul2uk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bird family
thank you for your reply. Not tied to looking in aukland but heard it was a better city and easier to get a job there.
where are you based on the south island. we are all new to this and any information would be greatly appreciated. we did try to get into the USA
but had no luck there as was almost impossible. We are looking for a better life for our grown up children and have heard new zealand is the place to be.
linda (steves wife)
Hi There,

I moved from the Uk to NZ back in January. I wouldn't live in Auckland personnally. it's pretty big and if your moving to NZ for the space then it's probably not the best solution unless you have lots of cash to spend. Then again, along with Wellington, it's where alot of the jobs (and better paid ones are) so it depends what you are looking to come for.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

sasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Maaannn, that is the coolest of all things cool IMO.

As for the Bird family - Mr & Mrs Bird and all the younger Birds & Birdettes - boy, have you chosen the right country to focus on. Forget San Diego and its cool lions .Pah !

Plumbers (NZIS71231) are on the Long Term Shortage List here . They are sorely need all over the country. Tell me about his
1] training
2] qualifications
3] work experience int he trade.

Scaffolder (NZIS 84114) is also on the Immediate shortage List and wanted all over the country.

Crane Operators (NZIS 83331) are on the Immediate Shortage List. They are also wanted all over New Zealand.

As per the plumber, can you bung over what quals, training and work exp they have.

Please take a good look around the NZIS

Check out
work permits/visa
Residents
Skilled Migrant categories.

On the right you will see a link to the Immediate and Long Term shortage lists. Take a look. No harm in becoming a bit familiar with the NZIS website.

Also check out the POINTS INDICATOR

There is an NZ expo coming up in London shortly . you may all find it helpful and interesting.

LONDON NZ EXPO

As per HappyNZ suggestion, if you could all come out to NZ on a reccy with possible interviews lined up, I think you would go away with job offers and a better idea of what you want from your NZ lifestyle.

Tradesmen are wanted everywhere. You will not be confined to a city. You could pick your area/ town/village.
Hi Bev thanks for your reply its all very encouraging. My son the Plumber has
NVQ1 and NVQ2 and trained at college and with a employer as an apprentice
for 3 years and now fully qualified. The scaffolder has part one and part two
NVQ in scaffolding and you know about my husband.
Ive said about coming out for a holiday and looking around as I dont just want to move there without sorting out which is the best area for residence and for work. I like the look of Napier but have to make sure that there is
work for the men around that area so your advice as to contacting companies
before we come to arrange interviews is good. We are looking for the best place also for weather so sick of England weather. Dont know what to do first really. I suppose the first step is to apply for a visa come out for a hol and tour round. I wish someone could wave a magic wand so they would sort this all out for us. If you can give me any advice i would really appreicate it. THANKS Linda
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

sasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the rough

Hi all
Anyone out there in Napier that can give me an idea of weather, employment, rent prices for houses or perhaps a real estate agent, and
what areas are nice. I think we must come out and look around for ourselves but some help would be great. thank you linda.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

tallpaul2uk will become famous soon enoughtallpaul2uk will become famous soon enough

Hi all
Anyone out there in Napier that can give me an idea of weather, employment, rent prices for houses or perhaps a real estate agent, and
what areas are nice. I think we must come out and look around for ourselves but some help would be great. thank you linda.
I am not in Napier, I am in Tauranga, but have friends down there. With it being on the East Caost, it is a wee bit Isolated in terms of getting anywhere. Alot of the housing is old but still relatively inexpensive in comparison to alot of other cities. You my find employment opp limited. Generally, the smaller the city, the less choice. Tauranga, whilt still relatively small is the fastest growing city in NZ, so at least employment opp are on the rise rather than places like Napier. Plus the weather is heaps better this further north.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tallpaul2uk
I am not in Napier, I am in Tauranga, but have friends down there. With it being on the East Caost, it is a wee bit Isolated in terms of getting anywhere. Alot of the housing is old but still relatively inexpensive in comparison to alot of other cities. You my find employment opp limited. Generally, the smaller the city, the less choice. Tauranga, whilt still relatively small is the fastest growing city in NZ, so at least employment opp are on the rise rather than places like Napier. Plus the weather is heaps better this further north.
Hi thanks for that information. Perhaps we should come out for a hol first and look round. How long you been there any regrets. Is it warmer than the other island there. Id love to be near the coast but must think of the employment for the men who are all in the construction industry. Any info would be appreciated. Linda
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: hi all new member.

Hi thanks for that information. Perhaps we should come out for a hol first and look round. How long you been there any regrets. Is it warmer than the other island there. Id love to be near the coast but must think of the employment for the men who are all in the construction industry. Any info would be appreciated. Linda
Hi can someone help me witha problem. We are either looking for Canada or New Zealand we have come up with a problem with Canada as apparantly myself husband son who is 20 can get out as a family but because my daughter has a boyfried (my daughter is 18 her boyfriend is 22 and he wishes to move out the country too ) they say she cant get out under the same family visa. Is there a way round this at all. Any advice please would help
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hi thanks for your reply. Where would you suggest to look at for the best weather and best job opportunies. We perhaps wont look at Napier if its to isolated got to think of the youngsters in our family in their 20 s.
But havent had much luck on information on where you live. this is so complicated stuff sorry to be a pain. linda
Old Aug 19th 2007, 9:11 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

can any one tell me how hot it gets in auckland as we are thinking of moving from the UK to NZ thank you steve.
Did anyone mention the Humidity in Auckland? Auckland summers may not boil the thermometers sticking in the low twenties but makes up for that with sticky humidity
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by happynz
Hi there.
Sounds like a marketable skill. How old is your husband?
He shouldn't have too much trouble finding work. New Zealand really needs qualified tradesmen. BEVShere is our resident expert on plumber related employment and requirements. I'm sure she could point you in the right direction there.
He'd stand the better chance at getting approved for residency. They don't have to be married. If they have been in a de facto relationship for over twelve months ie. living together.
Better you apply with your husband as the principle applicantas shop assistant is not considered skilled labour.

I think that's a wise thing to do.
Happy to oblige.
It can be done but it will cost you a packet. I don't have a dog or cat so I didn't have the expense of shipping an animal over, but from my readings on this site it seems to be a fairly large financial consideration.
I've been here since January 2002, futzed around on temporary work permits before pulling my finger out of my (you choose the orifice) and applied for PR which was granted July 2006.
I'm from the great state of California.

It does seem a bit overwhelming at first. As far as the weather goes, don't worry. New Zealand has about 104 seasons a day. You will be bound to like a part of each day.
I think you need to focus on employment, salaries, what kind of housing you would like, what you can afford and what you think you'd get out of moving twelve thousand miles from your birthplace.
Also, there is that matter of securing permission to legally live and work here in New Zealand.
So yeah, it sounds to me that you have a whole lot of things to think about and a million and a half things to ask. Don't be shy about it. Ask away.

Good luck and hope to see you here.
Hi sorry to bother you again, i made some enquiries about Canada and they are saying that my daughter may not be able to come as a dependent as she is in a relationship. they been together for over a year but not living together. Is there any way do you think we can get out as a family and her boyfriend come out on a seperate visa and live with us. He lives with his parents but would love to stare a new life.. He is a qualified scaffolder.
As I being mum dont really have a trade as such..Just work in a shop does my husband have enough points to get us out there. As previously mentioned he is a crane driver. my son is banksman/coordinator and also qualified plumber. And my daughter has great computer skills and works in administration are there many opportunities for her.
I still favour NZ to Canada. I would love somewhere near the coast but not to remote that they can all get to work quite easy. Just want them all to be happy.. Someone said they got an agent to do all their forms for them any idea as to who we can approach in England.
If yourself or any one reading this can help with advice for me I would really appreciate it. thanks again linda
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Maaannn, that is the coolest of all things cool IMO.

As for the Bird family - Mr & Mrs Bird and all the younger Birds & Birdettes - boy, have you chosen the right country to focus on. Forget San Diego and its cool lions .Pah !

Plumbers (NZIS71231) are on the Long Term Shortage List here . They are sorely need all over the country. Tell me about his
1] training
2] qualifications
3] work experience int he trade.

Scaffolder (NZIS 84114) is also on the Immediate shortage List and wanted all over the country.

Crane Operators (NZIS 83331) are on the Immediate Shortage List. They are also wanted all over New Zealand.

As per the plumber, can you bung over what quals, training and work exp they have.

Please take a good look around the NZIS

Check out
work permits/visa
Residents
Skilled Migrant categories.

On the right you will see a link to the Immediate and Long Term shortage lists. Take a look. No harm in becoming a bit familiar with the NZIS website.

Also check out the POINTS INDICATOR

There is an NZ expo coming up in London shortly . you may all find it helpful and interesting.

LONDON NZ EXPO

As per HappyNZ suggestion, if you could all come out to NZ on a reccy with possible interviews lined up, I think you would go away with job offers and a better idea of what you want from your NZ lifestyle.

Tradesmen are wanted everywhere. You will not be confined to a city. You could pick your area/ town/village.
Hi Bev . You said in one of your recent messages to us that there is a NZ expo coming up in London any idea where , when etc it may be interesting to go along for some advice. Look forward to hearing from you.
How hard will it be for us to get our daughters boyfriend out there with us.
they have been together over a year and he wants a new life too.
He does not reside with us in England but lives with his own parents
anyway of getting him out with us and perhaps he could live with us is that possible . He is the scaffolder.
Any suggestions bev about how much it would cost to get our pet dog out there can you advise anyone I could contact.
Still looking at areas. Id love somewhere by the coast but not too remote
and somewhere that ther is plenty of work for the men. You did say they should have no problems in their line of work. i.e crane driver, plumber,and son is also banksman/co ordinator on crane company. How about my daughter is there anythin for her shes administration assistant .
Still trying to find a nice spot under stand the North is warmer.
I thank everyone who is helping us. If any one can give me any help with my questions I would so appreicate it. linda
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tallpaul2uk
Hi thanks for you reply. how long you been in Tauranga are you happy and settled there now.. what are properties like to buy there . I you very far from the coast. Trying to do a bit of research on this area. You say that Napier is a bit isolated and i dont really want that. Want good weather too. Also want to be somewhere for my husband and kids can commute to work.
How big is Tauranga I hope to get us all out for a hol and then get some interviews lined up with construction companies for the guys. Do you think there may be a opportunity there for my daughter administration assistant.
How long did it take you to get out there and did you rent before you bought.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Linda
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Hi There,

Tauranga is the fastest growing city in NZ. Still small in relation to Auckland/Wellington, but a similar size to Napier. Weather here is very good. probably the second warmest spot in NZ after Northland. tauranga also competes with Blenhem and Nelson in the S Island for the most sunshine hours. (temperatures are higher here)

I love tauranga, no regrets. Lots of English around to make you feel at home without being over run with them.

Lots of new houses being bulit here to accomodate the influx of people (lots from UK and lots from Auckland) so there may be some construction work around.

If you choose Napier at least pay us a visit!

Paul
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:07 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: hi all new member.

Hi thanks for you reply. how long you been in Tauranga are you happy and settled there now.. what are properties like to buy there . I you very far from the coast. Trying to do a bit of research on this area. You say that Napier is a bit isolated and i dont really want that. Want good weather too. Also want to be somewhere for my husband and kids can commute to work.
How big is Tauranga I hope to get us all out for a hol and then get some interviews lined up with construction companies for the guys. Do you think there may be a opportunity there for my daughter administration assistant.
How long did it take you to get out there and did you rent before you bought.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Linda
Hi,

Rental properties go very quickly, normally the same day, so you would be wasting your time searching the internet for rentals. Most people get the current list from the estate agents and do the drive by before elcting to view inside. TIP: Be quick or you will lose out. We rented for about 4 months before we bought.

I have now bought a 4 bedroom house on over an acre for $730,000. However, a decent 4 bedroom houses start around $400,000 upwards.

The amont of job opps are increasing as the population grows.

From Tauarnga 1hr to Rotorua, 2hours to Auckland, 1hr 20mins to Hamilton. Often I will drive to these places and it will be terrible weather but still great here in taurnaga. Don't get me wrong it's not hot hot like Brisbane and other parts of Aus, but its nice when the sun still shines in Winter.