Hi all......

Old Apr 9th 2006, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

nathan1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi all......

.... I ve been reading the board for a while now and im just after a bit of advice really.

As an electrician am i best off sending my qualifications to the electrical workers registration board first, trying to get a job first or submitting an expression of interest first? Also how easy is it to get your qualifications accepted and am i better going through an agent.

Sorry about all the questions and thanks for any help

Nathan
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:22 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi all......

Originally Posted by nathan1983
.... I ve been reading the board for a while now and im just after a bit of advice really.

As an electrician am i best off sending my qualifications to the electrical workers registration board first, trying to get a job first or submitting an expression of interest first? Also how easy is it to get your qualifications accepted and am i better going through an agent.

Nathan
I don't really know a lot about this but it would seem to me that your priorities would be to:

1. Do the EOI/get your visa
2. Apply for work (if you can) prior to leaving UK
3. Register once in NZ and preferably before you start working

NZ has a qualifications verification agency. You should be able to find it by doing a websearch (sorry I don't have the url). There is a fee attached.

Personally, unless you think your chances are borderline, I wouldn't advocate using migration agents. Some do and are glad they did, some have horror stories.

Check out this site for links to finding the NZ qualification verification place

www.worksite.govt.nz
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Nathan
Hi Nathan
not sure about electricians however - my healthcare NZ reg body had to assess my quals for registration, which meant that I then didn't need to have the NZQA assessment (saved me money!!) I simply told them that I had registration and that to get it the board had assessed my quals. I couldn't apply for work until I had registration so it was an obvious route for me. I got my reg sorted out before we submitted out EOI, but that was more circumstance than anything else
Vicki
Old Apr 10th 2006, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

nathan1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies, im going to apply to the electrical workers registration board first at least then i can apply for a job and tell them i have the relevant new zealand qualifications then i can add that to the EOI at the moment i am on 135 points so getting a job first should improve my chances..........hopefully
Old Apr 13th 2006, 10:31 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies, im going to apply to the electrical workers registration board first at least then i can apply for a job and tell them i have the relevant new zealand qualifications then i can add that to the EOI at the moment i am on 135 points so getting a job first should improve my chances..........hopefully
Nathan, it doesn't work like that I'm afraid. You've got to go to college here - at least two weeks, unpaid as a rule. You can get a job without being registered - it's more difficult obviously - but you would be able to work whilst waiting for your registration to come through. The exams are only done twice a year - June (I think) and November. You wouldn't be paid the full whack either whilst not being registered. I was working for an electrical company and looked after the HR side so I dealt with the electricians quite a bit. The company I worked for paid quite well for NZ - about $25 an hour but before registration it was as little as $18. These sites should give you some answers.

http://www.etco.co.nz/default.aspx?c=8&t=Home
http://www.ecanz.co.nz/

Good luck.