Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help Us Help Our Kids ...

Help Us Help Our Kids ...

Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:12 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Us Help Our Kids ...

... Tragically yesterday outside our eldest daughter's school a child was hit by a logging truck and dies, aged 13.

The speed limit outside their school is a staggering 70kmph.

There is now an online petition to try and get this reduced to 50kmph.

The more people who sign it the better chance we have of getting it implemented before another tradegy happens when God forbid it could be one of our kids.

Please long on to www.soeasy.co.nz/50 and sign the online petition to Tauranga City Council.

Thank you.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:49 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help Us Help Our Kids ...

Have signed petiton, I so hope something is done.
What happened is truly shocking, my heart goes out to all concerened.

See you soon C.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:53 am
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Oh dear.. How Awful.

Petition signed... 70 is waaayyy to fast outside a school.

Hope they change it as soon as possible and get some proper crossings in there.

xxxx
Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Yummy_Mummy
Oh dear.. How Awful.

Petition signed... 70 is waaayyy to fast outside a school.

Hope they change it as soon as possible and get some proper crossings in there.

xxxx
Thanks guys,

I think what's most gauling is it was one of those awful "accidents waiting to happen" situations. I could never understand why is was 50kmph at the roundabout, 70kmph outside the school (approximately 100 m from said roundabout) and then a 50kmph zone again another say 500m up the road by the shops? I'd dropped my 15 year old in pretty much the exact same spot at the same time the day before.

What annoys me most now this tragedy had occurred is it turns out the college had submitted 7 applications for the zoning to be reduced and they didn't do it ...

So bloody sad ...
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:03 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Thanks guys,

I think what's most gauling is it was one of those awful "accidents waiting to happen" situations. I could never understand why is was 50kmph at the roundabout, 70kmph outside the school (approximately 100 m from said roundabout) and then a 50kmph zone again another say 500m up the road by the shops? I'd dropped my 15 year old in pretty much the exact same spot at the same time the day before.

What annoys me most now this tragedy had occurred is it turns out the college had submitted 7 applications for the zoning to be reduced and they didn't do it ...

So bloody sad ...

Its awful, but its always the same... it takes the loss of life for them to act! If they had done it before a life could have been saved... but they dont think about it like that!

It truly is disgraceful.
I just hope they take on board the comments on the petition.

xxx
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Yummy_Mummy
Its awful, but its always the same... it takes the loss of life for them to act! If they had done it before a life could have been saved... but they dont think about it like that!

It truly is disgraceful.
I just hope they take on board the comments on the petition.

xxx
I'm not sure who the chap who has started the petition is, other than another parent with kids at the school. But according to our local paper he's commissioned 6 X 50kmph Department of Transport signs to be made and will risk arrest to put them up outside the school tomorrow if the council haven't acted. Also according to my daughter there were parents canvassing the road outside today.

Needless to say the kids are all pretty shell shocked by it. Thankfully it sounds like the school and our community are putting all the support systems in place for this difficult time.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Petition signed and hope it works to reduce the speed limit.

Phyllis
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by weejie
Petition signed and hope it works to reduce the speed limit.

Phyllis
Thank you Phyllis,

I hope people on here don't think I'm being opportunist, I just think that it will come down to numbers. Which won't help the family involved ... but if it instigates a change for the better then at least that's something.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:20 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Have they found who ran her over yet? I had wondered if a truck driver would even have realised that he hit her (I say this with curiosity - is it possible? i have no idea).

It always takes someone to die before a potential death trap is recognised. I work very near where some roads were realigned in Wellington in April last year. There was a fatality in about September. It wasn't until September that the beings in charge even acknowledged that lights that all bar one gave a right of way on to a busy street - Victoria Street (and therefore Give Way rules then apply) - was bound to cause an accident. Pedestrians were getting green lights at the same time 3 lanes of traffic were getting a green light. Unfortunately it did end in a fatality (motorcycle). It has changed now, though not a great improvement.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Help Us Help Our Kids ...

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Have they found who ran her over yet? I had wondered if a truck driver would even have realised that he hit her (I say this with curiosity - is it possible? i have no idea).

It always takes someone to die before a potential death trap is recognised. I work very near where some roads were realigned in Wellington in April last year. There was a fatality in about September. It wasn't until September that the beings in charge even acknowledged that lights that all bar one gave a right of way on to a busy street - Victoria Street (and therefore Give Way rules then apply) - was bound to cause an accident. Pedestrians were getting green lights at the same time 3 lanes of traffic were getting a green light. Unfortunately it did end in a fatality (motorcycle). It has changed now, though not a great improvement.
I saw a toddler on a ride-on on the pavement at the Basin Reserve roundabout in Wellington today with the carer several metres behind = at one point the child was 2 feet away from heavy traffic....I really have to bite my tongue not to say anything when I see this carefree approach to child safety.
Good luck with the petition - is 50km slow enough what about some speed humps as well?
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

Keep trying as one of our parents had been pushing for traffic lights to be put up outside our school.This year after many tries we have now have them we are also fortunate that the police are going round the schools in our area with speed traps to enforce the speed limits at the schools.

Karen
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I saw a toddler on a ride-on on the pavement at the Basin Reserve roundabout in Wellington today with the carer several metres behind = at one point the child was 2 feet away from heavy traffic....I really have to bite my tongue not to say anything when I see this carefree approach to child safety.
Good luck with the petition - is 50km slow enough what about some speed humps as well?
Petition signed! There is a house down the road from us where the kids are allowed to play outside on the path next to the road... and theyve been playing there since being about 2 years old! This is the main road into Beachlands so pretty busy and thats just crazy.

I also cant understand why the speed limit through Whitford is 70 and not 50.... 50 is quite fast enough through there.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

elaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really nice

Here in Perth we have school zones around our schools and for an hour and half at drop off and pick up times ( 7.30 - 9.00 am. and 2.30 - 4pm.) the speed limit is 40kph on roads around the schools. The police often stand there with radar to check up. It's very effective, though obviously there are a few who think it doesn't apply to them.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

All signed!!

We must make sure the speed limit round schools is 50kph at the most, it would be even better if it was 30kph.

My heart goes out to the family and all those involved.

Catkin
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
... Tragically yesterday outside our eldest daughter's school a child was hit by a logging truck and dies, aged 13.

The speed limit outside their school is a staggering 70kmph.

There is now an online petition to try and get this reduced to 50kmph.

The more people who sign it the better chance we have of getting it implemented before another tradegy happens when God forbid it could be one of our kids.

Please long on to www.soeasy.co.nz/50 and sign the online petition to Tauranga City Council.

Thank you.
Correct me if I am wrong but is it not the law to do 20 outside school areas when children are coming and going. 70 is way too fast. Signed the petition.
Condolenses to the family concerned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.