Help us decide

Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

iain_moore is on a distinguished road
Default Help us decide

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help us decide. My wife and I are looking at emmigrating to either New Zealand or Canada. We have tickets booked for both Expos at Leeds this year for more info on these areas. We get very excited looking on the net at these wondeful lifestyles, but its scaring the c**p out of us incase we opt for the wrong area. We are looking for a rural lifestyle, but not too rural - say about 10 miles from the main areas. I dont mind a lengthy drive to work. We are looking for a property with some land and some privacy.
We are both in IT, but my wife is considering a career change - very good at photography - arty stuff etc We were just wondering what are the main pros and cons of each area? What are the basic expenses e.g. council tax, house prices etc. What are the main expenses each year? Could anyone shed any light on this, or point us in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance.

Iain
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help us decide

Originally Posted by iain_moore
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help us decide. My wife and I are looking at emmigrating to either New Zealand or Canada. We have tickets booked for both Expos at Leeds this year for more info on these areas. We get very excited looking on the net at these wondeful lifestyles, but its scaring the c**p out of us incase we opt for the wrong area. We are looking for a rural lifestyle, but not too rural - say about 10 miles from the main areas. I dont mind a lengthy drive to work. We are looking for a property with some land and some privacy.
We are both in IT, but my wife is considering a career change - very good at photography - arty stuff etc We were just wondering what are the main pros and cons of each area? What are the basic expenses e.g. council tax, house prices etc. What are the main expenses each year? Could anyone shed any light on this, or point us in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance.

Iain
My experience is that a rural lifestyle and career in IT is probably quite difficult to achieve in NZ unless you either can work from home, or have a stack of money.

From either Wellington or Auckland, you have fair old commute to get into a rural area. In Auckland the problem is the traffic, whereas Wellington is quite cramped in by sea and hills so you have to go out quite a bit to find "rural" land (unless you have $700k or more to spend on a house perhaps).
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:50 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Heads it's Canada.
Tails it's NZ

There you go.

Don't think you'll really make your mind up by posts on here - it's more something that comes from within. Once you've decided then come on here to research your choice and possibly fine tune it.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iain_moore
Hi,

Many thanks in advance.

Iain
Hiya Iain without knowing much about ur background in IT send your CV online to prospective employers and if they are trying to snap your arm off then do your homework. Otherwise once you are there your there mate (N.Z.) and they wont give a hoot,just a case of get on with it. Start going with agents and your talking big money they sharks ask the guys on here or read previous threads. Good luck mate
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

becky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to all

Hi Patrick

Although we are planning on NZ next year, I have a couple of friends that have recently moved to Canada and they love it. They also earn more than they did in the UK and are inding the lifestyle of Brish Columbia great

Becky
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:53 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becky667
Hi Patrick

Although we are planning on NZ next year, I have a couple of friends that have recently moved to Canada and they love it. They also earn more than they did in the UK and are inding the lifestyle of Brish Columbia great

Becky
Lifestyle in BC may be great but house prices by North American standards are sky high.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Lifestyle in BC may be great but house prices by North American standards are sky high.

They are soooooooooooooooo different from what I can glean..totally opposite ends of the scale. Canada is right amongst the world whereas NZ is at the end of it. One is utterly huge the other tiny. I have heard many, many fine things of Canada and know someone from the UK who's very happy there. It appeals to me but I knew NZ was our premier choice. Canada does not have the NHS of NZ..it (so I understand) is subject to EXTREME cold in winter...-40 my mate told me who spent some time there.

Someone has also mentioned BIG house prices. Whist NZ housing is WAY overvalued (by 30% one economist reckons) if you have any decent UK equity it gives you a right good start.

Personally I think it is impossible to try and compare the 2 to see which would be better for you..you either want what NZ has to offer or by contrast Canada.

Just remember one point, there do seem to be many people who cannot make NZ 'work'. Is this the same on the Canada forum??

3.5 years in and NZ works for us.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:17 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
They are soooooooooooooooo different from what I can glean..totally opposite ends of the scale. Canada is right amongst the world whereas NZ is at the end of it. One is utterly huge the other tiny. I have heard many, many fine things of Canada and know someone from the UK who's very happy there. It appeals to me but I knew NZ was our premier choice. Canada does not have the NHS of NZ..it (so I understand) is subject to EXTREME cold in winter...-40 my mate told me who spent some time there.

Someone has also mentioned BIG house prices. Whist NZ housing is WAY overvalued (by 30% one economist reckons) if you have any decent UK equity it gives you a right good start.

Personally I think it is impossible to try and compare the 2 to see which would be better for you..you either want what NZ has to offer or by contrast Canada.

Just remember one point, there do seem to be many people who cannot make NZ 'work'. Is this the same on the Canada forum??

3.5 years in and NZ works for us.
Been to Canada but never to NZ but agree with what you say they are so different. NZ doesn`t get the temperature extremes like Canada, I read once its the 4 coldest country in the world!!! When I was there it was -10 and it took my balls a week to thaw out after that and then in summer it can reach the high 30`s.

As for NHS both have a good reputations outside of Europe but since being on this forum have heard nothing but criticism on how poor they can be. Also more of the complaints come from the NZ forum than the Canadian forum.

I think a lot of people that want to go to Canada are put of by the wait, Because now without a job offer, skill in high demand, family visa etc you are estimated to be waiting 7-10 years!!! So that why many opt for either AUS or NZ if it wasn`t their original choice.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

hiya

we originaly were looking at Canada as brother in law is there, but when we looked into it, we decided in different side from him, he is in quebec and omg its cold there but its hot hot hot in the summer months... We decided on BC and vancouver is not to different a climate than the uk as in it rainssssss like mad but nice summers, i got looking into vancouver island and it is beautiful some people that have lived there mabye 4 years only had to scrape cars of snow a few times as it has quite a tropical climate, hence the beautiful gardens and year round golf etc, the houses here are also cheaper than on the main land .. so we were looking to move there in next year or so.. then OH friend who is a kiwi was talking about moving home and that was us and we move to NZ in Dec ad i think it has more on offer.. from what my brother in law tells me prices are sky high in canada and BC also has an extra tax to pay on top of other prices there is GST and another one i cant remember the now and also salarys werent any better that the uk infact wen OT was looking they were less.. as in NZ ... heres a link for a great realtor he always had lovely houses for sale , www.troygibson.com he is based in namino in vancouver island.. i had a zillion links but once we made our minds on NZ i deleted them sorry

caroline