British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-uk-trucker-wants-go-nz-320947/)

trucker paul Aug 19th 2005 11:33 am

Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Hi I am looking for help concerning immigration to New Zealand. I am a class one Heavy Goods Vehicle driver with 17 years experience.
I have tried NZ immigration without success, I know there is a national shortage of Heavy Vehicle Drivers in NZ & OZ and the job is listed on the immediate shortage list but according to immigration that only entitles me to go to NZ for 3 years to work, then return home. They said I could not apply within those 3 years. I have heard of truck drivers going to NZ & OZ to live but I have run into a dead end.
Could anybody help me with this matter or give me some information it would be very much appreciated. Thank you Paul Sinfield :) ;)

Tiand Aug 19th 2005 12:26 pm

Re: Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Originally Posted by trucker paul
Hi I am looking for help concerning immigration to New Zealand. I am a class one Heavy Goods Vehicle driver with 17 years experience.
I have tried NZ immigration without success, I know there is a national shortage of Heavy Vehicle Drivers in NZ & OZ and the job is listed on the immediate shortage list but according to immigration that only entitles me to go to NZ for 3 years to work, then return home. They said I could not apply within those 3 years. I have heard of truck drivers going to NZ & OZ to live but I have run into a dead end.
Could anybody help me with this matter or give me some information it would be very much appreciated. Thank you Paul Sinfield :) ;)

Hi, have you considered trying to get a job in New Zealand? This gives you 50 points (I think). You also get points for age, work experience etc. If you can muster up 100 points, you have a pretty good chance of getting permanent residence. There is a points indicator on the NZIS web site.

Best of luck :)

Joshlin Aug 19th 2005 3:56 pm

Hi Paul
this seems a little peculiar however there are a couple of options open to you - you could go out on a work visa, get a job and then apply for residency - others on here have done the same and will be able to advise further.
Have you completed the EOI points checker to see how close you get to the 100 mark - if you get the points you can apply for permanent residency - job or no job. the points checker is on the immigration website under skilled migrant.

trucker paul Aug 19th 2005 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi Paul
this seems a little peculiar however there are a couple of options open to you - you could go out on a work visa, get a job and then apply for residency - others on here have done the same and will be able to advise further.
Have you completed the EOI points checker to see how close you get to the 100 mark - if you get the points you can apply for permanent residency - job or no job. the points checker is on the immigration website under skilled migrant.

Hi Joshlin

Thank you for your your reply, We have gone down the avenue without any luck, we were selected from the pool ( EOI ) , only to be informed by the representive at NZ Immigration London that I could go to NZ to work but I could not apply for permanent residency while I was out there, I would have to return after 3 years. I found this hard to understand as my occupation is on the immediate shortage list and I have had my qualifications checked by the NZQA and they came back stating that they were comparable to NZ qualifications.
Apparentley my job has to be on the long term occupation list to stand any chance of permanent residency.. I think I need to contact other Heavy vehicle drivers who have been succesful to find out how they managed. Thank you for your information All the very best Paul

Joshlin Aug 19th 2005 8:48 pm

Hi Joshlin

Thank you for your your reply, We have gone down the avenue without any luck, we were selected from the pool ( EOI ) , only to be informed by the representive at NZ Immigration London that I could go to NZ to work but I could not apply for permanent residency while I was out there, I would have to return after 3 years. I found this hard to understand as my occupation is on the immediate shortage list and I have had my qualifications checked by the NZQA and they came back stating that they were comparable to NZ qualifications.
Apparentley my job has to be on the long term occupation list to stand any chance of permanent residency.. I think I need to contact other Heavy vehicle drivers who have been succesful to find out how they managed. Thank you for your information All the very best Paul

that really is tuff - sorry to hear that - hope you manage to sort out a route - not sure how many HGV drivers are on here, but fingers crossed for you that someone comes up with some useful guidance.

Batty Aug 19th 2005 9:56 pm

Hi Joshlin

Paul, there is someone on one of the other forums who might be able to help you. I've sent you the link in a PM (don't know if it's allowed on here :confused: )

trucker paul Aug 20th 2005 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Batty
Paul, there is someone on one of the other forums who might be able to help you. I've sent you the link in a PM (don't know if it's allowed on here :confused: )

Thank you I have taken a look and I will send them a message I think they will have some useful information, All the best Paul :D

catzohm Aug 21st 2005 2:38 pm

Thank you I have taken a look and I will send them a message I think they will have some useful information, All the best Paul :D

Hi Mate
let me know how you go on, My best way in might be through my HGV licence.

Paul .(catzohm)

ps if that link is useful please pass it on. cheers

catzohm Aug 30th 2005 9:16 am

Hi Mate.
The following might be of help. Go to www.ubd.co.nz then type in a search for Freight & Haulage. I came across the FW McDowall group who are accredited employers and can foward details of any job offer to NZIS, could be worth dropping them an e-mail detailing your concerns, they may have some first hand knowledge of your situation (and they need drivers!!).

Paul @ catzohm

trucker paul Aug 30th 2005 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by catzohm
Hi Mate.
The following might be of help. Go to www.ubd.co.nz then type in a search for Freight & Haulage. I came across the FW McDowall group who are accredited employers and can foward details of any job offer to NZIS, could be worth dropping them an e-mail detailing your concerns, they may have some first hand knowledge of your situation (and they need drivers!!).

Paul @ catzohm

Hi Thank you for that I will take a look and see if they can give me some information, Once again thank you Regards Paul

patsy88 Aug 30th 2005 8:20 pm

www.mitchellcorp.com.au
it is in oz but you never know eh

angpaul Jan 11th 2007 4:53 am

Originally Posted by trucker paul (Post 2703790)

Hi Paul.My name is also Paul and I to ama Uk trucker looking to move to NZ with my family.I would apprciate any advice you have toshare as I seem to come up to dead ends as well.This is a big step inour lives and we need to get it right.So could you pleasehelp us .
Thanks
Paul Cousins

beaudixon Jan 16th 2007 4:32 am

Originally Posted by angpaul (Post 4269548)
Hi Paul.My name is also Paul and I to ama Uk trucker looking to move to NZ with my family.I would apprciate any advice you have toshare as I seem to come up to dead ends as well.This is a big step inour lives and we need to get it right.So could you pleasehelp us .
Thanks
Paul Cousins

Hi, my hubby is trucker - we moved to NZ in October and all the info you've found is right. You can only get 3yr work visa (& then renew it in 3yrs time if still shortage) or work to residency visa with an accredited employer. We've gambled and come on 3yr work visa on the hope truching will move to the long term shortages list as the industry is trying for - big gamble!! but better than being in the uk!!
Would appreciate any new info anyone finds out as we want PR if possible!
Thanks, Judy

angpaul Jan 16th 2007 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by beaudixon (Post 4288906)
Hi, my hubby is trucker - we moved to NZ in October and all the info you've found is right. You can only get 3yr work visa (& then renew it in 3yrs time if still shortage) or work to residency visa with an accredited employer. We've gambled and come on 3yr work visa on the hope truching will move to the long term shortages list as the industry is trying for - big gamble!! but better than being in the uk!!
Would appreciate any new info anyone finds out as we want PR if possible!
Thanks, Judy

Thanks for that.Sorry but more questions.
How did your OH get a job and for whom is he working.
Why did you leave the Uk.
Did you just up and go.
How does the visa work ie can my wife work and what visa do the kids have.
did you take all your household goods with you.
How much money would we need to take with us

beaudixon Jan 16th 2007 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by angpaul (Post 4290941)
Thanks for that.Sorry but more questions.
How did your OH get a job and for whom is he working.
Why did you leave the Uk.
Did you just up and go.
How does the visa work ie can my wife work and what visa do the kids have.
did you take all your household goods with you.
How much money would we need to take with us

Hi, we came over on holiday/fact finding trip, walked in to haulage firm and asked what chances were of getting a job!! Response was you can start tomorrow!!!
Reason for leaving - same as most people - lifestyle, more time with children, safer/better for children etc..
We planned the move for a while, but applied for visas in June and moved in October.
I have an open work visa which means i could work for any company, hubby is restricted to work for truck company, children had student visas.
Filled a 20ft container with everything, well not quite, no kitchen applicancies and major clear out of junk we'd been hording!!
Money!!!! depending on where you want to live, the type of house you want, lifestyle you want etc...
I could tell you more but it maybe boring and go on for ever....
I'll send a PM. Judy