Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Old Aug 19th 2005, 12:33 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 4
trucker paul will become famous soon enough
Default Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Hi I am looking for help concerning immigration to New Zealand. I am a class one Heavy Goods Vehicle driver with 17 years experience.
I have tried NZ immigration without success, I know there is a national shortage of Heavy Vehicle Drivers in NZ & OZ and the job is listed on the immediate shortage list but according to immigration that only entitles me to go to NZ for 3 years to work, then return home. They said I could not apply within those 3 years. I have heard of truck drivers going to NZ & OZ to live but I have run into a dead end.
Could anybody help me with this matter or give me some information it would be very much appreciated. Thank you Paul Sinfield
trucker paul is offline  
Old Aug 19th 2005, 1:26 pm
  #2  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 12
Tiand is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Originally Posted by trucker paul
Hi I am looking for help concerning immigration to New Zealand. I am a class one Heavy Goods Vehicle driver with 17 years experience.
I have tried NZ immigration without success, I know there is a national shortage of Heavy Vehicle Drivers in NZ & OZ and the job is listed on the immediate shortage list but according to immigration that only entitles me to go to NZ for 3 years to work, then return home. They said I could not apply within those 3 years. I have heard of truck drivers going to NZ & OZ to live but I have run into a dead end.
Could anybody help me with this matter or give me some information it would be very much appreciated. Thank you Paul Sinfield
Hi, have you considered trying to get a job in New Zealand? This gives you 50 points (I think). You also get points for age, work experience etc. If you can muster up 100 points, you have a pretty good chance of getting permanent residence. There is a points indicator on the NZIS web site.

Best of luck
Tiand is offline  
Old Aug 19th 2005, 4:56 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joshlin's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: our own home, chch
Posts: 812
Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Originally Posted by trucker paul
Hi I am looking for help concerning immigration to New Zealand. I am a class one Heavy Goods Vehicle driver with 17 years experience.
I have tried NZ immigration without success, I know there is a national shortage of Heavy Vehicle Drivers in NZ & OZ and the job is listed on the immediate shortage list but according to immigration that only entitles me to go to NZ for 3 years to work, then return home. They said I could not apply within those 3 years. I have heard of truck drivers going to NZ & OZ to live but I have run into a dead end.
Could anybody help me with this matter or give me some information it would be very much appreciated. Thank you Paul Sinfield

Hi Paul
this seems a little peculiar however there are a couple of options open to you - you could go out on a work visa, get a job and then apply for residency - others on here have done the same and will be able to advise further.
Have you completed the EOI points checker to see how close you get to the 100 mark - if you get the points you can apply for permanent residency - job or no job. the points checker is on the immigration website under skilled migrant.
Joshlin is offline  
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:44 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 4
trucker paul will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi Paul
this seems a little peculiar however there are a couple of options open to you - you could go out on a work visa, get a job and then apply for residency - others on here have done the same and will be able to advise further.
Have you completed the EOI points checker to see how close you get to the 100 mark - if you get the points you can apply for permanent residency - job or no job. the points checker is on the immigration website under skilled migrant.

Hi Joshlin

Thank you for your your reply, We have gone down the avenue without any luck, we were selected from the pool ( EOI ) , only to be informed by the representive at NZ Immigration London that I could go to NZ to work but I could not apply for permanent residency while I was out there, I would have to return after 3 years. I found this hard to understand as my occupation is on the immediate shortage list and I have had my qualifications checked by the NZQA and they came back stating that they were comparable to NZ qualifications.
Apparentley my job has to be on the long term occupation list to stand any chance of permanent residency.. I think I need to contact other Heavy vehicle drivers who have been succesful to find out how they managed. Thank you for your information All the very best Paul
trucker paul is offline  
Old Aug 19th 2005, 9:48 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joshlin's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: our own home, chch
Posts: 812
Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Originally Posted by trucker paul
Hi Joshlin

Thank you for your your reply, We have gone down the avenue without any luck, we were selected from the pool ( EOI ) , only to be informed by the representive at NZ Immigration London that I could go to NZ to work but I could not apply for permanent residency while I was out there, I would have to return after 3 years. I found this hard to understand as my occupation is on the immediate shortage list and I have had my qualifications checked by the NZQA and they came back stating that they were comparable to NZ qualifications.
Apparentley my job has to be on the long term occupation list to stand any chance of permanent residency.. I think I need to contact other Heavy vehicle drivers who have been succesful to find out how they managed. Thank you for your information All the very best Paul
that really is tuff - sorry to hear that - hope you manage to sort out a route - not sure how many HGV drivers are on here, but fingers crossed for you that someone comes up with some useful guidance.
Joshlin is offline  
Old Aug 19th 2005, 10:56 pm
  #6  
By name and by nature
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,852
Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Originally Posted by trucker paul
Hi Joshlin

Thank you for your your reply, We have gone down the avenue without any luck, we were selected from the pool ( EOI ) , only to be informed by the representive at NZ Immigration London that I could go to NZ to work but I could not apply for permanent residency while I was out there, I would have to return after 3 years. I found this hard to understand as my occupation is on the immediate shortage list and I have had my qualifications checked by the NZQA and they came back stating that they were comparable to NZ qualifications.
Apparentley my job has to be on the long term occupation list to stand any chance of permanent residency.. I think I need to contact other Heavy vehicle drivers who have been succesful to find out how they managed. Thank you for your information All the very best Paul
Paul, there is someone on one of the other forums who might be able to help you. I've sent you the link in a PM (don't know if it's allowed on here )
Batty is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2005, 10:47 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 4
trucker paul will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Originally Posted by Batty
Paul, there is someone on one of the other forums who might be able to help you. I've sent you the link in a PM (don't know if it's allowed on here )

Thank you I have taken a look and I will send them a message I think they will have some useful information, All the best Paul
trucker paul is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2005, 3:38 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 31
catzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Originally Posted by trucker paul
Thank you I have taken a look and I will send them a message I think they will have some useful information, All the best Paul
Hi Mate
let me know how you go on, My best way in might be through my HGV licence.

Paul .(catzohm)

ps if that link is useful please pass it on. cheers
catzohm is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:16 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 31
catzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Originally Posted by trucker paul
Thank you I have taken a look and I will send them a message I think they will have some useful information, All the best Paul
Hi Mate.
The following might be of help. Go to www.ubd.co.nz then type in a search for Freight & Haulage. I came across the FW McDowall group who are accredited employers and can foward details of any job offer to NZIS, could be worth dropping them an e-mail detailing your concerns, they may have some first hand knowledge of your situation (and they need drivers!!).

Paul @ catzohm
catzohm is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:47 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 4
trucker paul will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Originally Posted by catzohm
Hi Mate.
The following might be of help. Go to www.ubd.co.nz then type in a search for Freight & Haulage. I came across the FW McDowall group who are accredited employers and can foward details of any job offer to NZIS, could be worth dropping them an e-mail detailing your concerns, they may have some first hand knowledge of your situation (and they need drivers!!).

Paul @ catzohm
Hi Thank you for that I will take a look and see if they can give me some information, Once again thank you Regards Paul
trucker paul is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:20 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 67
patsy88 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Originally Posted by trucker paul
Hi I am looking for help concerning immigration to New Zealand. I am a class one Heavy Goods Vehicle driver with 17 years experience.
I have tried NZ immigration without success, I know there is a national shortage of Heavy Vehicle Drivers in NZ & OZ and the job is listed on the immediate shortage list but according to immigration that only entitles me to go to NZ for 3 years to work, then return home. They said I could not apply within those 3 years. I have heard of truck drivers going to NZ & OZ to live but I have run into a dead end.
Could anybody help me with this matter or give me some information it would be very much appreciated. Thank you Paul Sinfield
www.mitchellcorp.com.au
it is in oz but you never know eh
patsy88 is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:53 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: nelson nz
Posts: 76
angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Originally Posted by trucker paul View Post
Hi I am looking for help concerning immigration to New Zealand. I am a class one Heavy Goods Vehicle driver with 17 years experience.
I have tried NZ immigration without success, I know there is a national shortage of Heavy Vehicle Drivers in NZ & OZ and the job is listed on the immediate shortage list but according to immigration that only entitles me to go to NZ for 3 years to work, then return home. They said I could not apply within those 3 years. I have heard of truck drivers going to NZ & OZ to live but I have run into a dead end.
Could anybody help me with this matter or give me some information it would be very much appreciated. Thank you Paul Sinfield
Hi Paul.My name is also Paul and I to ama Uk trucker looking to move to NZ with my family.I would apprciate any advice you have toshare as I seem to come up to dead ends as well.This is a big step inour lives and we need to get it right.So could you pleasehelp us .
Thanks
Paul Cousins
angpaul is offline  
Old Jan 16th 2007, 5:32 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Methven, NZ
Posts: 82
beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Originally Posted by angpaul View Post
Hi Paul.My name is also Paul and I to ama Uk trucker looking to move to NZ with my family.I would apprciate any advice you have toshare as I seem to come up to dead ends as well.This is a big step inour lives and we need to get it right.So could you pleasehelp us .
Thanks
Paul Cousins
Hi, my hubby is trucker - we moved to NZ in October and all the info you've found is right. You can only get 3yr work visa (& then renew it in 3yrs time if still shortage) or work to residency visa with an accredited employer. We've gambled and come on 3yr work visa on the hope truching will move to the long term shortages list as the industry is trying for - big gamble!! but better than being in the uk!!
Would appreciate any new info anyone finds out as we want PR if possible!
Thanks, Judy
beaudixon is offline  
Old Jan 16th 2007, 6:46 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: nelson nz
Posts: 76
angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Originally Posted by beaudixon View Post
Hi, my hubby is trucker - we moved to NZ in October and all the info you've found is right. You can only get 3yr work visa (& then renew it in 3yrs time if still shortage) or work to residency visa with an accredited employer. We've gambled and come on 3yr work visa on the hope truching will move to the long term shortages list as the industry is trying for - big gamble!! but better than being in the uk!!
Would appreciate any new info anyone finds out as we want PR if possible!
Thanks, Judy
Thanks for that.Sorry but more questions.
How did your OH get a job and for whom is he working.
Why did you leave the Uk.
Did you just up and go.
How does the visa work ie can my wife work and what visa do the kids have.
did you take all your household goods with you.
How much money would we need to take with us
angpaul is offline  
Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:05 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Methven, NZ
Posts: 82
beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Help Uk trucker wants to go to NZ

Originally Posted by angpaul View Post
Thanks for that.Sorry but more questions.
How did your OH get a job and for whom is he working.
Why did you leave the Uk.
Did you just up and go.
How does the visa work ie can my wife work and what visa do the kids have.
did you take all your household goods with you.
How much money would we need to take with us
Hi, we came over on holiday/fact finding trip, walked in to haulage firm and asked what chances were of getting a job!! Response was you can start tomorrow!!!
Reason for leaving - same as most people - lifestyle, more time with children, safer/better for children etc..
We planned the move for a while, but applied for visas in June and moved in October.
I have an open work visa which means i could work for any company, hubby is restricted to work for truck company, children had student visas.
Filled a 20ft container with everything, well not quite, no kitchen applicancies and major clear out of junk we'd been hording!!
Money!!!! depending on where you want to live, the type of house you want, lifestyle you want etc...
I could tell you more but it maybe boring and go on for ever....
I'll send a PM. Judy
beaudixon is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.