Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help for a UK nurse moving to New Zealand

Help for a UK nurse moving to New Zealand

Old Sep 22nd 2022, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Katerina01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help for a UK nurse moving to New Zealand

Hello, I am a United Kingdom registered nurse and have experience of about 4 years. Recently was given an offer of employment for Auckland, NZ and having hard time deciding. My main concerns are that I have a settled status in UK and I have a European passport, so not sure which kind of visa I will need but waiting for immigration advisors to get back to me. The employer has said they will communicate to immigration services that they are on the Authorized employer list but I need to start the process, any idea of which visa I may need?
Also, my qualifications in Nursing in the UK are Postgraduate Diploma in Nursing, which I have difficulty determining whether it will be accepted or not by the Nursing Council but I read some encouraging threads on this post,again anyone who's been in my situation?
And also I am a bit confused with the steps and levels in New Zealand. I am a band 7 in UK and the contract I am offered is for Level 2,step 4,I understand that is a Competent level, but also the employer mentioned during interview that starting from 5th year of experience I could apply for a different level or step? Any insight in this, as I read the MECA agreement but still not clear about it.
Thank you to everyone who volunteers with more information it is a big life decision for me.
Old Sep 24th 2022, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help for a UK nurse moving to New Zealand

Can't help with your work related questions I'm afraid, but I would suggest you look at earning v cost of living, especially in Auckland.
check "trade me" and real estate NZ for current property and rental prices.
I left Auckland 9 years ago and was paying $600 a week rent back then.
Old Sep 24th 2022, 11:12 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

welcome, there are a few hurdles to get through. You need to pass English language test. Occupational English Test (OET) and International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic.
For OET you must achieve a minimum score of 350 for reading, listening, and speaking; and a minimum score of 300 for writing.
For IELTS Academic you must achieve a minimum score of 7 for reading, listening, and speaking; and a minimum score of 6.5 for writing.
Some nurses educated or registered in certain countries can provide evidence of English language competence through their education or registration pathways. Eligibility for these pathways is at the discretion of the Council.
Your nursing qualification must be comparable to a Bachelor of Nursing degree in New Zealand.
A Bachelor degree is at level 7 on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF).

https://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz/IQ...f-2a67fe08c81b

Any offer of work would need to meet salary level, if enrolled nurse is not your occupation use the skillshortage list as it as a few nursing occupations, but I assume the salary level is most likely the same
https://skillshortages.immigration.g...nrolled-nurse/
Old Sep 24th 2022, 11:31 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say if it will just be yourself or if you have family you want to come with you. If so what occupation do they have?

whilst looking through NZ Immigration I see that EOI (Expression Of Interest) are still not open. Which means you have bit of time to get your ducks in a row, so get your English Language tests done and your Diploma looked at to see if it qualifies.

But when it does open you will need to get 160 or more points to apply. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ator-smc-28aug
Ignore the fact that it says Min 100 points, that is at least 10years out of date and has been asked to be changed many many times. No idea why they have not changed it.

Here are the costs https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...nd-fees-finder you would need to factor in costs for the IELTS.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Sep 24th 2022 at 11:37 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2022, 1:03 am

Cost of living, NZ you pay tax on every cent you earn, there is no NHS, cost if funded to go to Dr varies so you would need to check in your area.
use this site https://www.paye.net.nz/calculator/ to calculate take home pay and then use the budget tab to see costs of living.

looking at Trademe site rental for a 2 bed unit, top or bottom of a property starts at $385 per week atm, roughly $1,700 per week, approx £900. if you dont want to live with other tenants then you will start with apartments at $400 per week, $1,750 approx, £925.00 When you find a rental the down payment is usually 4 weeks Bond+ 2 weeks rent in advance. so if $400 per week down payment is $2,400, roughly £1,270 This would not include utilities, food, Dr's, dentist, insurance, car costs, clothes, entertainment.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Sep 25th 2022 at 4:20 am.
Old Sep 25th 2022, 1:11 am

Typical International Removals Costs from the UK to New Zealand 2022
Move Type Container Size Cost(GBP)
2– 3 Boxes Groupage £140 – £175
Part House Shared Container £874 – £919
3 Bed House 20 ft Container £5100 – £7100
4 Bed House + Car 40 ft Container £8500 – £1150

Then of course you have insurance on the transit - just don't take the movers quote, shop around, ours back in 2012 was £5607.00

Think all this will give you an idea of costs and what you need to do

Last edited by MrsFychan; Sep 25th 2022 at 1:31 am.
Old Sep 25th 2022, 5:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It would be the new fangled Accredited Employer Work Visa. I would be a bit wary as there is no quick route to NZ residency as a nurse at the moment.
Old Sep 26th 2022, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Katerina01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your help Mrs Frycham, all very useful advice. Thanks for taking the time to be so detailed, it makes a difference!

In regards to the English Language qualifications, I think I am exempt as my Diploma is from London but Nursing Council will get back to me on this.
In regards to my Diploma, I am waiting for the NZ Nursing council to confirm I can apply but I think I read a few threads which mention my type of Diploma and the work experience and generally I believe that should be enough for Level 7, in fact my Diploma is Level 7 in UK, and I have in fact also emailed CGNF, along with the Nursing Council.
I have already checked Numbeo and Expatistan and the data is so contradicting, regarding cost of living, so thank you for giving me a first hand response.
And yes, I do have a partner, but I spoke with immigration advisor and he may come as a tourist in the beginning as otherwise he will not be able to join me straight away as I am on the Accredited employer work visa. He has a British citizenship and works in IT, I will check if his occupation is on the skills shortage list, thank you for the idea.

In regards to the Accredited employer work visa - why is it not so easy to have a citizenship after 2 years, on NZ immigration website it says that it is possible after 2 years on this visa to be considered for a citizenship, is that not the case usually?
Thank you again to everyone who has helped me and supplied me with information, and advice, very valuable

Last edited by Katerina01; Sep 26th 2022 at 12:17 pm. Reason: Error