Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help please! Renting with a dog...

Help please! Renting with a dog...

Old Aug 12th 2010, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help please! Renting with a dog...

I don't like the thought of wearing a collar though!

We registered with Trademe, emailed a few properties and then got our account locked because we aren't in NZ yet!!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoexr

We registered with Trademe, emailed a few properties and then got our account locked because we aren't in NZ yet!!
You don't have to wear a collar, the dog does

Believe me, they only get a (mild) shock once, then they realise what the associated pre-warning noise is for when they are near the fence, and then they are very careful! It works
Old Aug 13th 2010, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Outside dog would be fine - and tbh ideal but it does depends on the breed. Ours is born and bred to be a lapdog (Cavalier King Charles), gets terrified at any kind of water/adverse weather and as she's a rescue is a nervy type in general and doesn't like to be outdoors for too long. Just coz of what she went through when she was younger - she can't be left for too long - hurrah for dogwalkers (I used to be able to take her into work but not now sadly!).

We have friends in America who have 2 huge adorable Rotties and the most insane Jack Russel. The large dogs stay outside (have a heated garage they go into at night and boy does it get cold where they are!), and the Jack Russell just drives everyone nuts. The poor Rottweilers sit outside staring into the window at the Jack Russelll wondering how he gets to stay in whilst they're sitting in the snow - at least that's what I'm sure they are thinking
Old Aug 14th 2010, 9:32 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmmm, I'm a Property Manager (don't shoot) and I don't have too much difficulty getting landlords to consider applicants from propsective tenants with dogs.

There could be a couple of reasons for this;

It's my own company so I have a vested interest in liaising between good tenants and landlords if I think it would work out for the best for both parties.

I arrived in NZ with 2 dobermans and initially rented. They lived in the internal garage mind you, not in the actual house.

I always explain to reluctant landlords the cost and effort involved in bringing dogs or indeed cats from overseas to NZ. Followed up with what a nation of soppy pet lovers we are, hence the majority being inside pets. I also explain that my dogs are treated better than my husband - that's why we split up!

The other reasoning I use with landlords where applicable is getting them to understand that it's not their home as such. It's either surplus to their requirements or it's a rental investment - they have no intention of living in it. Once they've grasped this they accept pets where before they'd have said no!

Just this week one of my landlords who had clearly marked No Dogs on their property schedule accepted a family with an inside greyhound over a family with no pets. It came down to who could move in first and who would pay top rent.

Whether you go through an agent or privately these factors may help.

I did have a family once with 3 inside dogs who put together a kind of family resume, complete with photos of the kids and dogs - personally I found that a bit much!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Am Loolah We are a bit worried now as we have heard nothing back from the agents although we and my mother in law have sent emails and left phone messages trying to clarify the situation (also asking about professional cleaning - do you know if this is the norm? Otherwise I don't mind paying but I can't bear the thought of moving into a dirty house )

We were previously told that there would be a Pet Addendum (?) added to the contract. Does this vary from agent to agent or is there a standard clause in NZ?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 9:59 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by londonescapee
Thanks Am Loolah We are a bit worried now as we have heard nothing back from the agents although we and my mother in law have sent emails and left phone messages trying to clarify the situation (also asking about professional cleaning - do you know if this is the norm? Otherwise I don't mind paying but I can't bear the thought of moving into a dirty house )

We were previously told that there would be a Pet Addendum (?) added to the contract. Does this vary from agent to agent or is there a standard clause in NZ?
I'm not sure what you mean regarding professional cleaning? The property should be clean when you move in, but it doesn't have to have been done professionally. Part of the Tenancy Agreement is a Property Inspection, carried out with you the tenant and the landlord or agent. If things are not clean you need to note it on that. It won't mean it gets done at their expense, just that you won't have to do it when you vacate. Remember to check things like the kitchen cupboards and the oven.

If you are rented a property and have a pet this is usually written in the Special Conditions part of the Tenancy Agreement. It varies wording wise, I usually write something along the lines of "The tenants are permitted to keep one King Charles Cavalier spaniel in the property."

Even if the landlord write in that the carpets are to be professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy this is not upheld if it were to go to Tenancy Tribunal. Have a look at the Government site regarding tenancies, you will find copies of Tenancy Agreements etc there. HTH
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I'm not sure what you mean regarding professional cleaning? The property should be clean when you move in, but it doesn't have to have been done professionally. Part of the Tenancy Agreement is a Property Inspection, carried out with you the tenant and the landlord or agent. If things are not clean you need to note it on that. It won't mean it gets done at their expense, just that you won't have to do it when you vacate. Remember to check things like the kitchen cupboards and the oven.

If you are rented a property and have a pet this is usually written in the Special Conditions part of the Tenancy Agreement. It varies wording wise, I usually write something along the lines of "The tenants are permitted to keep one King Charles Cavalier spaniel in the property."

Even if the landlord write in that the carpets are to be professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy this is not upheld if it were to go to Tenancy Tribunal. Have a look at the Government site regarding tenancies, you will find copies of Tenancy Agreements etc there. HTH
Thanks for the links all really helpful

Sorry this bit is slightly off topic - Professional cleaning here is having a company come in and clean the property top to bottom at the end of every tenancy. It isn't compulsory of course but most good landlords (I'd put us in that category!) will ask for this to be done. It is paid for by the tenant at the end of every tenancy - or by the landlord of course if there hasn't been a tenant in the property before! If a tenant doesn't get it cleaned then the costs of this would come off their deposit - that's how it works for our flat.

In terms of moving into a property as a tenant I find it makes such a difference - our current place in Brighton wasn't cleaned and it was horrid and took me a good 2 days in total to get it scrubbed from top to bottom. Do such companies exist in NZ?

So as you say, you leave the property as it was when you moved in....in terms of having a dog we would offer to have this done before we left if it ensured us getting the house we wanted - and carpets cleaned too! I can't wait to be able to own my own place again
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

hi when we rented with two cats, we offered to have carpets professionally
cleaned, which we did have done , and offered more rent but they never took it they were pommy landlords don't know if that made a difference,
when we joined trademe we used our friends address and that was okay
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I haven't rented for a while, but we were never asked to fork out for a professional clean when we left and I don't think the landlord did it either. We just cleaned it ourselves. Different landlords might have different standards, but I don't think it's the norm here.

I agree with Am Loolah that you can sometimes persuade someone to accept "one little dog" when they said "No Dogs," especially if it has been empty for a while, but if they're reluctant you might sway them by agreeing to a carpet shampoo before you move out. I am about to start looking at rentals and have a terrier, so I've already started negotiating. He is an indoor/outdoor dog, which is I think what most kiwi dogs are. When we are at work, unless it's snowing or pouring, he's outside and when we get home he's in with us. Whereas Brits tend to think the poor doggy shut outside is being treated like an animal, kiwis think the poor doggy shut inside all day must be bored stupid and unhealthy. Mine has his bones, and birds and the odd neighbour's cat to chase. He can wee when he likes, he's getting Vit D, and if the house burns down he's not in it. He gets a walk or he plays ball in the large dog-friendly backyard each day. However, the whole city would hear him if he had to sleep outside. He sleeps on my bed and sits on our laps at night. I'm not sure whether to use a white lie and say he's an outdoor dog, or come clean.

Anyway, I hope you find somewhere.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just heard back from our agent - apparently they are worried about fleas etc so I have sent them through all the tests that DEFRA and MAF require before she'd even be let into the country, as Am Loolah suggeted (Fleas are horrid!) Also went through what she does during the day with a dogwalker etc. It kind of turned into a doggie CV.....so perhaps you could send the agents something like that?

We had a cat flap in one house which was perfect - she could go in and out as she pleased and the garden was surrounded by huge brick walls so no chance of escape! My aunt had a dog flap for her lurcher which was just the right size.

I sympathise totally with whether to tell a white lie or not - we wondered the same thing (but more as in 'well you said she would be able to go into this room at night' etc). In the end we decided it would stress us out too much not being completely honest and I think things will work out ok. It seems that if you can demonstrate being a good dog owner that takes care of the property and the pet you should be ok?

Last edited by londonescapee; Aug 18th 2010 at 4:46 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

We have managed to get a house secured and the OHs work have put down a deposit, so we seem to be all set
Thanks for all your help, as usual.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

We have managed to get a house secured and the OHs work have put down a deposit, so we seem to be all set
Thanks for all your help, as usual.
Yay!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Fab thread with lots of good advice, which I have duly noted. Many thanks!