Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

State pension/contracting out?

State pension/contracting out?

Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light
Default State pension/contracting out?

Hello,

I've tried to find an answer to our query on the search facility but it came up with so much stuff I gave up trawling through!

I have contracted out of the UK state pension since I first started working, which suits me fine as I am still young (ish! well in terms of retirement planning anyway).

My OH however has never set up a pension (despite my nagging - he still thinks that owning a house will suffice for his retirement plans :curse: whatever!). Now we are about to leave, he finally got around to trying to set up a stakeholder pension and to contract out as he wanted to have his NI contributions in a stakeholder pension for the time being whilst we educate ourselves a bit better on retirement soultions.

HMRC are now phasing out the contracting out element of state pensions, however, so the stakeholder pension he was planning on doing will no longer offer the contracting out element.

What happens with an NZ resident (he is also a British passport holder) who has been paying into the state pension but then moves back overseas? Can you transfer your contributions to NZ? Do you draw down whatever your contributions amount to once you reach retirement age? Do we just get some good financial advice from an IFA?

Sorry for the numpty-ish questions, the whole thing is so confusing and I am determined to get sorted now on pension planning so I don't have to worry about it when I am 65
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:31 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State pension/contracting out?

Originally Posted by londonescapee
Hello,

I've tried to find an answer to our query on the search facility but it came up with so much stuff I gave up trawling through!

I have contracted out of the UK state pension since I first started working, which suits me fine as I am still young (ish! well in terms of retirement planning anyway).

My OH however has never set up a pension (despite my nagging - he still thinks that owning a house will suffice for his retirement plans :curse: whatever!). Now we are about to leave, he finally got around to trying to set up a stakeholder pension and to contract out as he wanted to have his NI contributions in a stakeholder pension for the time being whilst we educate ourselves a bit better on retirement soultions.

HMRC are now phasing out the contracting out element of state pensions, however, so the stakeholder pension he was planning on doing will no longer offer the contracting out element.

What happens with an NZ resident (he is also a British passport holder) who has been paying into the state pension but then moves back overseas? Can you transfer your contributions to NZ? Do you draw down whatever your contributions amount to once you reach retirement age? Do we just get some good financial advice from an IFA?

Sorry for the numpty-ish questions, the whole thing is so confusing and I am determined to get sorted now on pension planning so I don't have to worry about it when I am 65
To be eligible to claim a 'full' pension, in the UK, you have to have been paying in for 35 years. To be eligible to claim a 'full' NZ pension, you have to have been paying in for 10 years.

If you come to NZ and start earning, contributing, once you reach retirement age (and have been paying in for more than 10 years) the NZ tax office will send you a form to begin claiming your 'full' pension. One of the questions will be 'Do you have a state pension elsewhere', in which you tick yes and they make the claim for that pension. This then goes toward what they pay you. You won't receive more than anyone else, just what you are entitled to.

Hope that helps.....
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug
To be eligible to claim a 'full' pension, in the UK, you have to have been paying in for 35 years. To be eligible to claim a 'full' NZ pension, you have to have been paying in for 10 years.

If you come to NZ and start earning, contributing, once you reach retirement age (and have been paying in for more than 10 years) the NZ tax office will send you a form to begin claiming your 'full' pension. One of the questions will be 'Do you have a state pension elsewhere', in which you tick yes and they make the claim for that pension. This then goes toward what they pay you. You won't receive more than anyone else, just what you are entitled to.

Hope that helps.....
You don't have to "pay in" to get it NZ super. You only have to live hear.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sirplug

Hope that helps.....
Thank you that is really helpful we were worried we would 'lose' all his state contributions over the last 11 years!

Out of interest, for the 35 year rule in the UK with regards state pension, does that have to be continual payments? For example, if we go to NZ for a few years then decide to come back to the UK permanently would HMRC take into account the NZ payments we make towards the 35 year rule or should we consider continuing to make NI payments whilst we are in NZ? Or is it just 35 years in total (which is quite hefty when you compare it to the NZ state pension ).

You never know where life will take you - so we're trying to cover all our bases!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

The number of years that you need to make UK NI contributions has changed, and it depends on your gender and age. Details here.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:10 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

I believe there is a reciprocal agreement between the UK and NZ which allows time spent in each other's countries to count towards the others state pension

This means that if you are 65 but have not spent 10 years in NZ you should still qualify for NZ superannuation. (assuming you previously lived in the UK)

Take a look at http://www.superlifekiwisaver.co.nz/...rannuation.pdf

particularly the last sentence in the Eligibility paragraph

Last edited by NakiMan; Aug 18th 2010 at 6:16 am.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
You don't have to "pay in" to get it NZ super. You only have to live hear.
You are indeed correct. One has to be here for 10 years. 5 of those 10 MUST be after you have reached 50 years. There is no need to have paid a cent in tax. The decade mentioned and that you are a resident or citizen are the only criteria.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:31 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

As per my previous post, you don't even have to live here for 10 years.

If my understanding is correct, you could theoretically live in the UK all your life, arrive in NZ the day before your 65th birthday (as a permanent resident) and claim full NZ super the following day.

And that's the basic problem with it, its WAY to generous.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

If you lived in the UK 'till you were 65 you would receive the UK pension which would then be deducted from any entitlement you had to NZ super.

There would not be many that would be granted residency at age 65.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:13 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Married man one partner pension NZ superanuation = $8,945
Married man one partner pension UK fully paid up total state pension = $19,852. Don,t think the NZ purse will be taking any hit at all...
My NZ figures may be out of date but the sum will still be less than the UK state pension, so will cost NZ $0......

Last edited by Stormer999; Aug 18th 2010 at 1:17 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

NZ super ... Married , both qualify ... $561.24 (UK £152.30) Weekly

Single, living alone ... $373.56 (UK£95.25) Weekly

http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/man...ion_tables.htm

http://www.pensionsorter.co.uk/statepension.cfm#howm
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:21 pm
Enjoying retirement

There is obviously a wide variation in Pension entitlement in both UK and NZ, dependent on personal circumstances.

The only thing you can do is wait till you're 65 then check both and choose to claim whatever is the best deal. What you can't do, of course, is to claim both.

Just because you qualify for NZ Super, you do not have to claim it. You may get a better deal from the UK.

Best to remember though, that once the UK pension starts, it does not increase. It stays at the same rate for the rest of your life. And you can always swap at a later date.

Last edited by NakiMan; Aug 18th 2010 at 9:25 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NakiMan

Just because you qualify for NZ Super, you do not have to claim it. You may get a better deal from the UK.

If you qualify for a UK pension NZ will insist you claim that first ... they will then top up any shortfall to equall NZ super.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:58 am
Enjoying retirement

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
If you qualify for a UK pension NZ will insist you claim that first ... they will then top up any shortfall to equall NZ super.
Yeh, true, but only if you apply for NZ super. If you don't claim NZ Super, they dont have any say in it.

So if your UK pension is a better deal for you, just take that and don't even bother to claim NZ super.

Last edited by NakiMan; Aug 19th 2010 at 6:06 am.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:38 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Married man one partner pension UK fully paid up total state pension = £175.48.........honest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.