Help moving home

Old Oct 21st 2014, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

MarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to all
Default Help moving home

Hi everyone,

I'm moving home in a couple of weeks and I have two questions that I'd love some help with, thanks!

1. I've been in Auckland 8 months living in a shared house and I'm now moving into my own place meaning I have to arrange Power, Water etc. Does NZ have some sort of comparison website similar to confused.com where I can view the best plans? All the ones I have seen are for 'switching provider' so they ask for current plans, meter readings etc but I am starting fresh. I've heard a lot of people recommend Contact Energy.

2. What sort of visa is required with most banks to apply for a credit card? I'm looking for one like the Air NZ points one with ANZ (I bank with ANZ) to make big purchases and earn points. I'm currently only on a working holiday visa but I'm expecting my full 2-year skilled migrant work visa to come through the door any day. I earn $100,000/a. Will banks only offer credit cards/loans to residents?

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 21st 2014, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help moving home

1: There's that electricity authority website or the government site one (forget the title) that does an electrical comparison. Generally, you will be recommended to go to Contact Energy. I'm with them and I can't fault their customer service. They've been very good with dealing with the awful payment system that was installed recently. Whoever installed that, I hope never comes and works for where I work. This software analyst would not allow such rubbish
Plus you get fly buys points, which as I see you are hoping to get an Airpoints credit card - you can use the fly buys number that you will get with your Smart Card to earn air-points. I'd put your spending money on that as well to get more points. The more points per year, the quicker to get free flights yay!

2: Any sort of resident visa is what you require for an Airpoints credit card. I've got mine through Kiwibank and have the platinum one. You get more air points and status points that way with a platinum. I think it'll be the same for the ANZ or BNZ airpoints card. I'd avoid the American Express since MasterCard and Visa are more accepted
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 12:37 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we have had terrible problems with Contact Energy since we moved to a new place in April. You have to pay a $150 bond as a new customer, every single bill has been incorrect, first escalation team didn't even bother to call me back. Its taken another "new" escalation team to hopefully sort it out. time will tell next month. They have however given me a $150 credit on the account because of the abysmal lack of customer service. They do seem to be one of the cheaper options which is why losts of people use them and the main reason I have moved on from them but if this poor service happens again then I shall be looking for another.

I assume you have a bank account already where your wages go so maybe just go have a chat with them
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
we have had terrible problems with Contact Energy since we moved to a new place in April. You have to pay a $150 bond as a new customer, every single bill has been incorrect, first escalation team didn't even bother to call me back. Its taken another "new" escalation team to hopefully sort it out. time will tell next month. They have however given me a $150 credit on the account because of the abysmal lack of customer service. They do seem to be one of the cheaper options which is why losts of people use them and the main reason I have moved on from them but if this poor service happens again then I shall be looking for another.

I assume you have a bank account already where your wages go so maybe just go have a chat with them
Hey

Are you providing reads for them or are they doing estimates? Interested to know

Their payment system has been nothing but dreadful especially over the winter months. I experienced similar problems but ours was because all our monies were going into the old account, which of course was closed. I too got a $150 bonus as an apology after the third wrong bill came requesting nearly $1100, which of course was sitting in the old account. I'm not sure if heads rolled from the system put in. There was something on Campbell Live or Fair Go about them and their new billing/payment system inserted

They are on a final warning as Genesis would be my choice if we have to move. The only positive I can say about Contact the last few months is that they're not Meridian!
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 1:44 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

no they were not estimates, they are all meter read readings. just the system failing to put the correct discount on the account. Apparently they had to close the first account as it would not allow the rate to go on it and "stick" hence the reason it was wrong every month, I had to call and get the Customer Service to do it manually once we agreed the amount.
I used Meridian and Genesis at the old house and never had any problems with them.

My account at the moment states I owe them money, I think as the bill is just awful and cannot be fathomed. I have checked with the Complaints team as to when I will be billed again since our agreement to pay the bill off at the beginning of the month, (I had not paid a bill since July) and they say nothing to pay until the meter reading around the 8th of November, so that will be interesting

Last edited by MrsFychan; Oct 22nd 2014 at 1:46 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

We use energy online for both gas and electricity. Have heard that Trustpower are taking a lot of new business..?

We use a 'private' bank, and a type of Visa card as our 'credit card'. We've been happy with our banking in NZ
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

can not recommend energy online enough no deposit, 20% off if you pay before a set date, bills always read
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:16 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Contact. I've only just joined them so I can't really advise one way or the other - I checked with the comparison site Powerswitch and they appeared to be the cheapest for my needs.

You only need a bond if you are renting (which the OP is by the sound of it). If you own the property you don't need to pay it (for Contact anyway).
Old Oct 28th 2014, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by jmh
You only need a bond if you are renting (which the OP is by the sound of it). If you own the property you don't need to pay it (for Contact anyway).
We had to pay a $150 bond to Contact as I was a new customer and we own our home. seems like different area's may charge differently.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 10:18 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

We are with genesis energy. It's v v v expensive. We got stuck with them but we will be moving in December and changing company. There estimates are way off. Last month they said cost 100 but I fact looking at my readings it's more 300!!!!
We didn't need to pay a bond they took our passport I'd and looked at credit rating in uk

Re credit cards we are on wtr visa bank won't give us a credit card.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 2:08 am
Just Joined

MarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to all

Hey guys, thanks for all the help!

In the end I went with Contact Energy. They were very polite and helpful on the phone and the process was very easy so hopefully things go well with them.

One last question...what happens with water? Do I also need to sign up with a water company or does it somehow just carry over?

I wouldn't have a clue where to look for water companies...
Old Oct 29th 2014, 5:18 am

some area's have water meters so you have to pay the local council, other area's you don't pay. if renting it could be in with the rent (?). first you need to find out if the area you are in pays water rates
Old Oct 29th 2014, 6:03 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are renting it's usually in with the rent but you need to check with landlord. Our rates and water are paid by landlord

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 29th 2014 at 10:18 pm. Reason: Sort out the text speak.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland water is looked after by Watercare you need to let them know a few days in advance so that they can make sure the meter is read:

Here's forms Moving Home
Old Oct 30th 2014, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Hey, you were right Bo-Jangles. The new house is done by Watecare and the previous owner has given then my details and my move-in date.

Thanks for the help!