Help Help!!

Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

polly.glot will become famous soon enoughpolly.glot will become famous soon enough
Default Help Help!!

Right - notice given here in the UK, job lined up in Auckland, little house in NZ being prepared...trouble is, we have only until mid-January to get quotes and pack up, get UK husband his partner visa etc etc etc...all while working a 70-hour week.
I would be SO grateful if I could have a little advice on the following:

- removal companies - any suggestions?
- to take EVERYTHING, or just keep it light?
- to take the car (little Peugeot, 5 years old, only 30K on the clock)?

That's for starters..I'm sure I'll think of other stuff..

Thank you very much in anticipation.....

polly in norfolk
Old Oct 26th 2010, 3:38 pm
www.hyperreality.net

Shingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant future
Default Re: Help Help!!

Hi Polly

We're also heading off mid-January, but to the South Island. I had four shipping companies round. We decided only to take the big furniture like our king size bed, daughters futon, table and 6 chairs, kitchen workbench, bikes and the usual personal stuff, books, kitchen stuff etc. We had varying estimates from 490 cubic feet to 640cubic feet for the items we want to take. So roughly, just over half a 20ft container full. In the end we went with Robinsons, they quoted the best price for the biggest quantity, their storage in the UK was cheaper than everyone else. They make all their own crates for TV's and artwork etc, so don't charge extra for that and they gave us a deal on the insurance aswell. The chap that came round to do the estimate was really helpful and gave me the most information about the move to NZ, so I just had a really good gut feeling about it. The other company who came in second was PSS International, a bit more expensive than Robinsons and storage more expensive, which was the clincher for us. We decided not to take any of our white goods and to buy new over there, but I've read alot of posts where they've said take as much as you can as they can be expensive to replace. Depends how much you want to spend on shipping costs I guess! Personally, I wouldn't take your car, you can get some decent second hand deals out there and you have to take into consideration the replacement of parts on an imported car. Good thing is that Robinsons ship to NZ every week, so they quoted us 9 weeks door-to-door even on a part-load. You've still got plenty of time to book your shipping people, some only require 2 weeks notice and Jan/Feb is usually the quieter time for them. Good luck
Old Oct 27th 2010, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

Originally Posted by polly.glot
Right - notice given here in the UK, job lined up in Auckland, little house in NZ being prepared...trouble is, we have only until mid-January to get quotes and pack up, get UK husband his partner visa etc etc etc...all while working a 70-hour week.

polly in norfolk
Regarding the car, read through this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690806
Old Oct 27th 2010, 8:14 am
Just Joined

mandaxcook is an unknown quantity at this point

polly in norfolk
Hi, DO NOT GO WITH PICKFORDS. We arrived in NZ 5 weeks ago, our container turned up 2 weeks later and we still do not have our stuff. In the UK Pickfords were brilliant and we were really pleased but since we've been here they have been appalling. They do not let you know when the container arrives and I have had to call to get updates, the moving of the car has been a complete shambles.
I hope this message hasn't reached you too late and that all other plans are going well. Good luck!
Old Oct 27th 2010, 8:36 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandaxcook
Hi, DO NOT GO WITH PICKFORDS. We arrived in NZ 5 weeks ago, our container turned up 2 weeks later and we still do not have our stuff. In the UK Pickfords were brilliant and we were really pleased but since we've been here they have been appalling. They do not let you know when the container arrives and I have had to call to get updates, the moving of the car has been a complete shambles.
I hope this message hasn't reached you too late and that all other plans are going well. Good luck!
Oh dear have you raised the matter with Pickfords in the UK? My understanding is that they are NOT the same company in both countries although they share the name...
Old Oct 27th 2010, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

polly.glot will become famous soon enoughpolly.glot will become famous soon enough

Thank you so much, everyone. I was especially interested in the car thread..
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

On the first question - bring EVERYTHING and more!!! There is no way you can buy replacements for the £4000 approx it costs to bring over a houseful of stuff in a container. For example, if you had to restock just a kitchen from scratch in the UK, it would cost a lot from pans to crockery, now imagine it in NZ where there is less choice and wages aren't so high.

It is also great to be surrounded by your own stuff and makes the transition to the other side of the world a bit easier, especially if there are children involved.

As for Pickfords, we used them and couldn't fault them. Pickfords in Milton Keynes certainly liaised properly with Allied Pickfords in Wellington and we had no communication problems and were able to track the boat all the way. MAF was sorted effeciently and the packers/unpackers were also professional at both ends. We used them because we could part share a 40 foot container and use what we needed, whereas other companies said our stuff may fit into a 20 foot but if it didn't we could either leave some stuff behind on the day or pay extra Luck of the draw I suppose.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

Hi Polly,

We are also heading out to Auckland at the end of Jan, hubby has a job lined up there, I will be keeping a close eye on this thread to hear all the advice.

Good Luck
KayC

Right - notice given here in the UK,
job lined up in Auckland, little house in NZ being prepared...trouble is, we have only until mid-January to get quotes and pack up, get UK husband his partner visa etc etc etc...all while working a 70-hour week.

polly in norfolk
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

Once you're shipping some stuff by container, the incremental cost of an additional box is quite small. So you may as well bring everything that you want/need. Obviously, there's not much point in bringing items you don't like or will never use, though.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Polly from Norfolk, I'm Bev from Norwich now in Auckland!!! Whereabouts in Norfolk are you from? Anyway, we used Pickfords and unlike the earlier poster had a very good experience with them. As others have said bring as much stuff with you as you can cram into a container (including new tins of paint!!) Lots of things here are way more expensive than UK. If you read then buy up as many books as you can (or join a library ) You should get some of the glorious summer we have on the way Don't forget to clean everything with good old Jeyes fluid and enjoy every bit of the preparation. Its a lovely country, good luck. Bevissa
Old Oct 30th 2010, 6:45 am
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

Hi Polly

we are using Anglo Pacific and so far the service has been excellent. They have a very experienced partner in Tauranga where we are going and this helped to sway us as I believe things can fall down at the NZ end. Please do a search on removals on this site to get a fuller picture and more opinions the time used will be well spent.Most companies, including AP will negotiate on price. You are heading out at a relatively quiet time so are in a strong position to negotiate.

I started the car thread and have actually now decided to sell mine due to advice from Anglo Pacific and the AA in New Zealand as our LTBV did not entitle us to take the car in - that's another story if anyone needs more info on that let me know.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, Nelly.
Where are you heading to in Tauranga? I have known that town for 60 years and watched it change so much.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Oh, and thank you too, Bev! We're in Cromer. Lovely day today (nice change) though going to be wet (again!!) in the next day or so.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Bev - I have 43 books in my Amazon shopping basket as we speak! Most of our household goods will be books....I have Pickfords and AP both coming to give quotes. We have had to set up a whole new household here in the UK since I've been here for 11 years, including antiquey stuff bought at auction. Eventually these might help supplement the pension when they're not needed any more!
My sister reminded me to bring shoes - specially Clarks - and face cream/cosmetics.