Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help desperately needed please.

Help desperately needed please.

Old May 11th 2013, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

positive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to all
Default Help desperately needed please.

Ok, so the problem is, my daughter lives in Tauranga(north Island). Obviously that's not the problem but, she is desperate and longing to make a rice pudding! Now the problem is, she cannot find short grain rice anywhere and I just wondered if anybody could help? Does anyone know if it is possible to buy said item? I know if the worse comes to it, I could post some over to her, but I am hoping that somewhere in NZ it may be obtainable. Is this something that is not used or this wonderful delicacy not eaten there? Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received. Oh and tinned is not an option, she wants to make it herself.
Old May 11th 2013, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help desperately needed please.

Sadly not, the the best I can come up with is 'Sunrice' Medium Grain Rice - it's in all supermarkets in a red bag. It works for me anyway and I love home made rice pudding.
Old May 11th 2013, 6:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Maybe at a Bin Inn.

Thing is , if it's not selling big time the shops won't stock for a few. Things appear and disappear all the time. I've never seen it at the supermarkets around here when I've thought to make one with prunes.

Does this then mean NZers don't cook rice pudding from scratch ?
Old May 11th 2013, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry best you can do is the medium grain. My hubby loves rice pudding, however by using the medium grain in a slow cooker I'm able to make a most convincing rice pudding.

Gill
Old May 11th 2013, 11:13 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

My mum used to make rice pudding all the time when I was a kid - I'll ask her what she used and let you know.
Old May 12th 2013, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Could she use arborio rice?
Old May 12th 2013, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

I make a fair amount of rice pudding (not as good as my mums - because she always used gallons of cream) and have found short grained Japanese sushi rice best. Im in Tauranga and you can find it in every supermarket.

Sun Rice, Sushi Rice. Its in a black packet.

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; May 12th 2013 at 2:55 am.
Old May 12th 2013, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Iv'e got some in my cupboard bought at Pak n Save. It's called pudding rice. I think it may have been in with the desert stuff rather than the rice section.
Kaz
Old May 12th 2013, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

positive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to allpositive pam is a name known to all

Thank you all for your suggestions and for the time taken to help. I have passed all your thoughts on to my daughter, who is going to pop and see Pak n Save I think first. As I think Bevs said, does that mean that NZers don't make rice pudding from scratch ha ha? A worrying thought ay? So what is funny is that said daughter has just returned to NZ after visiting us for a month and never mentioned rice pudding, although it was a very busy time! Hmm craving rice pudding, is there something she isn't telling me No apparently not, just wants to use the slow cooker and really wants to make rice pud with nutmeg.
Thank you so much once again for all your help, you are all great.
Pam
Old May 14th 2013, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have a very happy daughter and one who wants me to thank you all very much for all your help and suggestions. The good news is that she has found "pudding" rice at Pak n Save in Tauranga. Just in case anyone else wishes to make rice pudding, the brand is "Pams", (good name ha ha) it is in a green packet and is found where all the other rice is not with the desserts. So, once again NZers, thank you so much and good luck with the rice puddings, you have made one midwife(my daughter) a very happy girl.
Old May 17th 2013, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

So pleased she found the pudding rice and yes it has to have nutmeg.
Kaz