Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hello from sunny Barnsley

Hello from sunny Barnsley

Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hello from sunny Barnsley

I've been a member a while but never posted anything, so here goes.

Me and the missus have been interested in moving to NZ for sometime now, so last year we decided we'd have bit of time there. Last year we had a bit of a holiday based in Auckland but visited many top places and met up with quite a few old friends. Since coming back we decided that having an immigration company behind us would make things a lot easier, so we've employed NLNZ, I know they've had some bad press on here but we've found them to be okay. Both of us are far too busy so having them deal with all the paper work takes a weight off our shoulders.

Anyway, I've been applying for pre press printing jobs for about a year with no luck, it's always the same reply. 'If you were over here you'd stand a chance'. So we made the decision that I'd travel over to NZ in September for at least a month to put myself in the frame. Away from my normal Pre Press job I also build website, do design work and I promote live music as I run a weekly Indie club night. So what I've done is build myself a website to promote me as promoting is my game, I've hunted on websites for months and months to find email addresses of people in the NZ printing industry and yesterday I sent out 1000 emails. I've had back loads of replies, mostly they say No Vacancies but I've had a few people interested.

I'll keep you updated with any news and I'll no doubt post on here during my visit to NZ from September in Hamilton (where I'm basing myself).

Much Love

Mat
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hello from sunny Barnsley

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I've been a member a while but never posted anything, so here goes.

Me and the missus have been interested in moving to NZ for sometime now, so last year we decided we'd have bit of time there. Last year we had a bit of a holiday based in Auckland but visited many top places and met up with quite a few old friends. Since coming back we decided that having an immigration company behind us would make things a lot easier, so we've employed NLNZ, I know they've had some bad press on here but we've found them to be okay. Both of us are far too busy so having them deal with all the paper work takes a weight off our shoulders.

Anyway, I've been applying for pre press printing jobs for about a year with no luck, it's always the same reply. 'If you were over here you'd stand a chance'. So we made the decision that I'd travel over to NZ in September for at least a month to put myself in the frame. Away from my normal Pre Press job I also build website, do design work and I promote live music as I run a weekly Indie club night. So what I've done is build myself a website to promote me as promoting is my game, I've hunted on websites for months and months to find email addresses of people in the NZ printing industry and yesterday I sent out 1000 emails. I've had back loads of replies, mostly they say No Vacancies but I've had a few people interested.

I'll keep you updated with any news and I'll no doubt post on here during my visit to NZ from September in Hamilton (where I'm basing myself).

Much Love

Mat
Hey Mat,

Whilst I'm from the right (read "correct") side of the hills myself (Cheshire) my wife hails from Barnsley.

We moved from Crow Edge / Penistone, to New Zealand (currently living in Masterton) last September.

If you look back at some my older posts you'll see that my wife (the primary applicant for us) was also repeatedly told that had she been in the country she would have faired better with job applications, so we packed up and all four of us (two young kids) flew out here and travelled around to wherever she was required to attend a job interview (she's a Teacher) whilst she applied for jobs as we were travelling too.

It was hard slog and we came very close to throwing in the towel (as other posts of mine also explain) but it's all coming good in the end.

Good luck with the job hunting and if you want to ask anything of me, please feel free.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Hello thedtb

It must be something to do with the Penistone area as my cousin moved out to NZ about 4 years ago, they were living up Cubley. It's lovely up Crow Edge but I imagine quite bleak in winter time, that's why everyone up their buggers off to NZ!

I'm carrying on plugging away as we speak, collecting email addresses and sending them my CV and link to my personal website. Currently over 1100 emails sent to different businesses, I'll have hit 1500 by the end of the week. Spending hours on Yellow & Finda hunting contacts down.

Ideally I can land something similar to what I do at home in Pre Press, I work for a certain local newspaper which I'm sure you can guess the name. I'll keep you informed of my progress, it'll certainly be an interesting journey.

How long were you in NZ before she landed a job?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Hello thedtb

It must be something to do with the Penistone area as my cousin moved out to NZ about 4 years ago, they were living up Cubley. It's lovely up Crow Edge but I imagine quite bleak in winter time, that's why everyone up their buggers off to NZ!

I'm carrying on plugging away as we speak, collecting email addresses and sending them my CV and link to my personal website. Currently over 1100 emails sent to different businesses, I'll have hit 1500 by the end of the week. Spending hours on Yellow & Finda hunting contacts down.

Ideally I can land something similar to what I do at home in Pre Press, I work for a certain local newspaper which I'm sure you can guess the name. I'll keep you informed of my progress, it'll certainly be an interesting journey.

How long were you in NZ before she landed a job?
We landed on Sept 13th and she was offered a Job late in October to start in the new school year in February... although they had her doing supply work from some point in early November. Still, from landing in NZ to being offered the job, she'd applied for 56 advertised positions.

I reckon I can indeed guess the name of the paper... our local paper here (one of them at least) is: http://www.times-age.co.nz/contact/ If you haven't already got them on your list, it may be worth doing so - you never know!