Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hello from a, "do we don't we?" girl

Hello from a, "do we don't we?" girl

Old May 9th 2013, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from a, "do we don't we?" girl

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
I don't mind at all and welcome any help as it seems very high to me too so I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong

On the points indicator site I ticked the yes box for the following things with husband as main applicant and me as 'skilled spouse'. I've put questions I have in green font afterwards.

Husband

Work is in an area of absolute skills shortage

Recognised qualification? (level 7 or 8)
Recognised qualification? (level 3,4,5,6)
Are you only supposed to click one of these?

Began your study for level 3, 4, 5 or 6 recognised qualification on or before 24 July 2011 Is this only if you're studying now? We both finished our level 3-6 qualifications over 25yrs ago.

Qualification is in an area of absolute skills shortage
Number of years of relevant work experience (anywhere) is more than 10
Number of years work experience in area of absolute skills shortage is more than 6
Work experience WAS gained in a comparable labour market
Age is in 50-55 bracket

Partner (me)
Yes he has one
I have the required English proficiency to qualify as a principal applicant
I have a recognised qualification (level 7, 8, 9 or 10)
I have a recognised qualification (level 3, 4, 5 or 6)
I began study for my level 3, 4, 5 or 6 recognised qualification on or before 24 July 2011

That seems to give a score of 145 when I do it this morning. If I tick yes that husband has a job offer that jumps to 205. We wouldn't move if he didn't have a job already lined up to go to.
I have you with a score of 120 without a skilled job offer in NZ.
Enough to meet the minimum points to submit EOI but very little chance of it being selected.
With a skilled job offer this would increase your EOI points to 180 and as such would be automatically selected for preliminary checking and ITA.
Maybe submit the EOI with 120 points.
It will sit there for 6 months in the pool and in that time the principal applicant needs to secure a job allowing you to update the EOI to 180 and allows automatic selection.
You need the EOI already submitted to give more of a chance to get the elusive job.

Regards,
Old May 9th 2013, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
I have you with a score of 120 without a skilled job offer in NZ.
That's really disappointing and leads me to think the form is seriously misleading. What am I ticking that I'm not supposed to? This is really confusing!

Following your calculations it looks unlikely that we'll ever be able to gain enough points for automatic selection without a job offer. However, if husband gets a job offer and moves out on a temporary work visa that means we need to be apart for a considerable length of time (months? over a year?) while he works over there and I try to hold down my job and household over here in case we don't gain skilled migrant visas. We won't earn enough money to pay the current UK bills plus all his NZ bills doing that which means it's a hurdle I doubt either of us will be prepared to try and jump.

We already know we're not willing to give up our jobs, sell everything up and risk 28yrs worth of money and work investment in order to move us plus horses and household 12,000 miles when we have no assurance we'll be allowed to stay permanently. If we did that and then couldn't stay we'd not be able to afford to move back without leaving all of our household goods and horses behind

Do people really move out to NZ with their whole families, including children, and sell up their house in the UK knowing they might not be allowed to stay?
Old May 9th 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
That's really disappointing and leads me to think the form is seriously misleading. What am I ticking that I'm not supposed to? This is really confusing!

Following your calculations it looks unlikely that we'll ever be able to gain enough points for automatic selection without a job offer. However, if husband gets a job offer and moves out on a temporary work visa that means we need to be apart for a considerable length of time (months? over a year?) while he works over there and I try to hold down my job and household over here in case we don't gain skilled migrant visas. We won't earn enough money to pay the current UK bills plus all his NZ bills doing that which means it's a hurdle I doubt either of us will be prepared to try and jump.

We already know we're not willing to give up our jobs, sell everything up and risk 28yrs worth of money and work investment in order to move us plus horses and household 12,000 miles when we have no assurance we'll be allowed to stay permanently. If we did that and then couldn't stay we'd not be able to afford to move back without leaving all of our household goods and horses behind

Do people really move out to NZ with their whole families, including children, and sell up their house in the UK knowing they might not be allowed to stay?

Ok let's start from the top...........

Skilled Employment
Are you now in ongoing skilled employment in New Zealand and have been so for 12 months or longer? No You aren't in NZ!
Are you now in ongoing skilled employment in New Zealand but that employment has been for less than 12 months? No You aren't in NZ!
Do you have an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand? No Not yet!
Is your work, or offer of employment, in any one of New Zealand's:
•identified future growth areas? No
•areas of absolute skills shortage? Yes
Is your work or offer of employment for a location outside of Auckland in New Zealand? No Don't have an offer of work in NZ!

Qualifications
Do you have a recognised qualification? (level 7 or 8) Yes
Do you have a recognised qualification? (level 3,4,5,6) Yes
Did you begin your study for level 3, 4, 5 or 6 recognised qualification on or before 24 July 2011? Yes
Do you have a recognised level 9 or 10 post-graduate qualification (Master's Degree or Doctorate)? No
Do you have a bachelor’s degree gained in New Zealand following at least two years of full time study? No
Do you have a recognised post-graduate qualification gained in New Zealand following at least one year full time study? No
Do you have a recognised post-graduate qualification gained in New Zealand following at least two years of full time study? No
Do you have a qualification in any one of New Zealand's:
•identified future growth areas? No
•areas of absolute skills shortage? Yes

Transitional Provisions:
Answer the following questions if you were studying towards or had completed your qualification as at 24 July 2011 and you did not claim points for a completed bachelor’s or post graduate degree gained in New Zealand.
Have you studied full time in New Zealand towards a New Zealand recognised qualification of two years or more? No
Do you have a recognised basic New Zealand qualification gained in New Zealand? No

Relevant Work Experience
Number of years of relevant work experience (anywhere) 10 yearsNumber of years of relevant work experience in New Zealand None
Number of years work experience in any one of New Zealand's:
•identified future growth areas ? None
•areas of absolute skills shortage ? 6 years or more
Was the work experience gained in a comparable labour market or an area of absolute skills shortage? Yes

Other Family
Do you have a close family member living in New Zealand, who is a resident or citizen of New Zealand? No

Partner
Do you have a partner? Yes
Would your partner have the required English proficiency to qualify as a principal applicant? Yes
Is your partner currently in skilled employment in New Zealand, or has he/she been offered skilled employment in New Zealand? No
Does your partner have a recognised qualification ? (level 7, 8, 9 or 10) Yes
Does your partner have a recognised qualification ? (level 3, 4, 5 or 6) Yes
Did your partner begin study for their level 3, 4, 5 or 6 recognised qualification on or before 24 July 2011? Yes
Does your partner have a close family member living in New Zealand, who is a resident or citizen of New Zealand? No

I would assume these are your ansswers to give 120 points total.

Please check and let me know.

If you add a job offer for the principal applicant at the top this gives you another 60 points.

Cheers
Old May 9th 2013, 4:59 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

To add to EscapedtoNZ's post as no one has answered your questions yet:

Husband

Work is in an area of absolute skills shortage

Recognised qualification? (level 7 or 8)
Recognised qualification? (level 3,4,5,6)
Are you only supposed to click one of these?
Yes, you can only claim points for one qualification, I suspect this may be where you are going wrong

Began your study for level 3, 4, 5 or 6 recognised qualification on or before 24 July 2011 Is this only if you're studying now? We both finished our level 3-6 qualifications over 25yrs ago.
Ignore the date question, it isn't relevant!

Qualification is in an area of absolute skills shortage
Number of years of relevant work experience (anywhere) is more than 10
Number of years work experience in area of absolute skills shortage is more than 6
His qualification must match those in the 4th column on the LTSSL to gain points for work experience in an area of skills shortage and a qualification in an area of skills shortage
Work experience WAS gained in a comparable labour market
Age is in 50-55 bracket

Partner (me)
Yes he has one
I have the required English proficiency to qualify as a principal applicant no extra points but is necessary for you to claim points for a qualification
I have a recognised qualification (level 7, 8, 9 or 10)
I have a recognised qualification (level 3, 4, 5 or 6)
I began study for my level 3, 4, 5 or 6 recognised qualification on or before 24 July 2011

That seems to give a score of 145 when I do it this morning. If I tick yes that husband has a job offer that jumps to 205. We wouldn't move if he didn't have a job already lined up to go to
So, adding up from the above:
Age - 5
Work experience, >10years - 30
Work experience in an area of skills shortage >6years - 15
Recognised level 7 or 8 qualification - 50
Bonus points for a qual in an area of skills shortage - 10
Partner holds a level 7+ qualification - 20

I get 130 points

So far this year, that level has not been drawn from the pool unless a job offer has been in place. There has been one draw where those with 15pts for work experience in an area of skills shortage has been selected but that required points of 135.
As to whether to come out and risk it, some people do and some are more risk averse. It all depends on the individuals concerned. Only you can make that decision. You come across as wanting more certainty before making the decision and that is fine. You have more to lose that a couple in their twenties wanting an adventure
Old May 9th 2013, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Samitch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We are moving to Hamilton....with the horses!
My OH was lucky enough to get a job offer in the SM category and a temporary work visa until the residency comes through!
I have to say we are really excited to be coming and would encourage and help anyone who wants to do it too... Our experiences so far may (or may not) help..
We have used an immigration advisor and she has really helped because we had a tight time frame and with getting my OH qualifications recognised etc. I started to panic with all the forms. All I can say is as we are nearly through the process... The friendly people on here can help you just as much...for free!

We really wanted to get it right first time because of the horses... It is soooo expensive to take them (contact irt) I did not want to leave these shores without being sure it was for good!
So.... Residency permitting I will be joining my OH in August when the horses go into quarantine...will let you know how it all goes ! My advice... GO fOR IT if you can!!!!!
Old May 9th 2013, 8:00 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Horses , I mean the cost of air freighting them and the vets fees and all the etc. I understand shipping a cat or dog overseas is prohibitively expensive, so horses......

It'll be worth it no doubt, well done and good luck with it all.
Old May 9th 2013, 8:18 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but emigrating is a stressful thing and unless one of you gets a job offer it's not it's not likely to happen for you.
Not sure on how easy it is to gain from the other side of the world, in the profession you are in but if it is something you want then you may just have to bite the bullet and the one with the best prospects of obtaining a job come over and see what the situation is like on the ground. My husband did that, 3 week reccy and within the 1st week had secured a job and was working the second week. leaving me and the kids to sell up the house and come over a few months later. Emigrating isn't easy or cheap
Old May 9th 2013, 8:21 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
I would assume these are your ansswers to give 120 points total.

Please check and let me know.

If you add a job offer for the principal applicant at the top this gives you another 60 points.

Cheers
Originally Posted by Persephone

So, adding up from the above:
Age - 5
Work experience, >10years - 30
Work experience in an area of skills shortage >6years - 15
Recognised level 7 or 8 qualification - 50
Bonus points for a qual in an area of skills shortage - 10
Partner holds a level 7+ qualification - 20

I get 130 points
I couldn't understand the difference between our two values, so I ran everything through the points indicator and that gives the total as 120
It can't be adding on the points for a qualification in an area of skills shortage.

Must admit, I usually stick to the Points Table and rarely look at the Indicator. Always seems a bit inaccurate at times [like now!], it used to accumulate points for more than one qualification for example

Hazelnut, you have 130 points
Old May 9th 2013, 8:29 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Horses , I mean the cost of air freighting them and the vets fees and all the etc. I understand shipping a cat or dog overseas is prohibitively expensive, so horses......

It'll be worth it no doubt, well done and good luck with it all.
I was thinking that, if it costs 2,000-3,000 pounds to send a dog over, I wouldn't even like to take a guess at how much a horse would be
Definitely something for Hazelnut to take into account as that could be a deal breaker
Old May 9th 2013, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Quick reply as on phone and needing bed but I'd like to say thanks to you all for spending so much time ploughing through the form and explaining it all, it really does encourage me to keep exploring and discussing.

I'm pretty sure husband would gain work relatively easily and we're still planning to come out fact finding next Jan/Feb. I think out main concern is that I have a CFS label and he had high blood pressure which is easily controlled with beta blockers but it means we both have health issues. That's why I'm so worried about coming out on short term work visas, my understanding is that we don't do health checks until we're invited to apply for SMC after being picked from the pool. Given extra health checks usually need more time I'm thinking husband would have to start new job while all that was still ongoing? He does have to give three months notice at current job, would an NZ employer wait that long after offering a job and would we stand a chance of being selected and having out skilled migrant category approved within that three month time frame?

I'm sorry to have so many questions. I'm doing two lots if training and expanding my CV and current job role to try and make myself marketable so my head doesn't have much space for immigration protocols.

It's good to see someone else taking horses too. I'll send a private message for a chat to a fellow horse nut