Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hello all - Young Person(25/M) Solo Moving to NZ - Your experiences? Good/bad points?

Hello all - Young Person(25/M) Solo Moving to NZ - Your experiences? Good/bad points?

Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

RichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hello all - Young Person(25/M) Solo Moving to NZ - Your experiences? Good/bad poi

Originally Posted by sheene
It is a bit like a soap opera, BE. You get the regular stalwart Ena Sharples types, the wide boys, the prim and propers, the rich and the aspiring, then the regular new people to the street, perhaps that is the appeal.

Anyway, different perspective, not advice:

At 25 you are just on the trailing edge of youth, still at the age where it can be used as an excuse. For a prospective employer, or country, looking for a new recruit - take a look at your contemporaries - some will have experience and few qualifications, others will have degrees etc but no experience - it will be a judgement call. FF 5 years and it is a different story - then you will be competing with graduates who also have experience.

In 10 years time, at 35, your choices without any formal qualifications will start to narrow dramatically. Of course for people who are going to start their own business, this is somewhat irrelevant, but it is always best to have a back up plan. Qualifications have never been easier to get. Sue has just done a Cert 3 in childcare online - it was hard work for 12 months whilst doing another job, but from the comfort of your own home - and relatively cheap ($1000). Doors are already starting to open which were previously shut.

If you want to move to NZ without qualifications, it may be best to do it now - the door may be shut, or at least ajar, in another 5 years time. As I said, just a different perspective.
Thanks. This is my worry - I could stay in the UK and get a degree (which I know are dragged out over 3+ years), and by the time it ends I'll be close to 30. And my lifestyle will suck over that 3 years.

Really really stressing me out tbh I registered here when I was 20, man how time flies.

It's hit me like a tonne of bricks recently (turned 25 in Oct). I look at my school friends - some are beginning to get stuck in to a career - which had I persued earlier - would've probably got me into NZ/OZ.

What do you think of this? I'm thinking of staying here for a year/2 max - totally ramming down any qualifications I can get and do business on the side (as discussed with Wellingtonboot).

I sometimes think I've ****ed up my life tbh by making impulsive choice, but going to stay positive regardless. Wasted a few years working in bars just to "have fun" and not really progressing with anything. Bummer. Thanks for the reply.

I'd be interested to hear what yourself, and others were doing with life at 25?
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:21 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello all - Young Person(25/M) Solo Moving to NZ - Your experiences? Good/bad poi

Originally Posted by RichP
Thanks. This is my worry - I could stay in the UK and get a degree (which I know are dragged out over 3+ years), and by the time it ends I'll be close to 30. And my lifestyle will suck over that 3 years.

Really really stressing me out tbh I registered here when I was 20, man how time flies.

It's hit me like a tonne of bricks recently (turned 25 in Oct). I look at my school friends - some are beginning to get stuck in to a career - which had I persued earlier - would've probably got me into NZ/OZ.

What do you think of this? I'm thinking of staying here for a year/2 max - totally ramming down any qualifications I can get and do business on the side (as discussed with Wellingtonboot).

I sometimes think I've ****ed up my life tbh by making impulsive choice, but going to stay positive regardless. Wasted a few years working in bars just to "have fun" and not really progressing with anything. Bummer. Thanks for the reply.

You have not messed up your future - it hasn't happened yet! At 25 you would have a good time at Uni - to a certain extent everyone is in the same boat financially - ie sunk, but I am sure you could make enough on the side to make things a a little more comfortable. However hard you may think it would be now.......

Don't worry yourself about what others have done / are doing, you would get millions of different replies from millions of different people, it only matters what is right for you.

Dear god I sound like your parent - sorry!
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

RichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sheene
You have not messed up your future - it hasn't happened yet! At 25 you would have a good time at Uni - to a certain extent everyone is in the same boat financially - ie sunk, but I am sure you could make enough on the side to make things a a little more comfortable. However hard you may think it would be now.......

Don't worry yourself about what others have done / are doing, you would get millions of different replies from millions of different people, it only matters what is right for you.

Dear god I sound like your parent - sorry!
Haha don't be sorry I appreciate any feedback. Yeah I tend to compare myself to others and then get in a bit of a mess, but who doesn't. Need to stop doing that lol!

I'm at a anxiety inducing crossroads, put off making decisions for a while - 5 years ago I'd have thought "**** it" and just hopped on a plane. But now....need a backup trade/qualifications. Have you got/had a degree/trade or anything? On what basis did you come to NZ?
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

wellingtonboot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Robbo25
Cheap Gillette razor blades!!! Don't be daft they are the same place as the lost city of Atlantis. Great how the razors are soooo cheap, leading you into a lifetime of facial hair related debt.
For those of us who live in the real world and find electric shavers pants....

it is a need and when you grow facial hair (take it you are still growing whiskers by your comment) you need a fairly decent razor that doesn't take your face off.

Thats the blade i want and im trying to find one that doesnt cost more than my weekly shop.

if i go downstairs 4 mach 3's are 20 NZD per 4 blades.
so say i want 20 blades how much is that? thats 100 NZD?

http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-MACH3...177595&sr=8-20

38.45 USD = 51.8676 NZD

half price.

happy friday.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 1:08 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha don't be sorry I appreciate any feedback. Yeah I tend to compare myself to others and then get in a bit of a mess, but who doesn't. Need to stop doing that lol!

I'm at a anxiety inducing crossroads, put off making decisions for a while - 5 years ago I'd have thought "**** it" and just hopped on a plane. But now....need a backup trade/qualifications. Have you got/had a degree/trade or anything? On what basis did you come to NZ?
Want to swap places ?? I'd would think Sydney is more exiting
Old Nov 25th 2011, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by love30stm
Want to swap places ?? I'd would think Sydney is more exiting
I'm in England now. My info is from when I signed up here...in 2006.

My 2 year VISA have expired, and I can't go back unless I study/sponsored . After long debate I've decided on not to go back as an illegal (even though I'd have work)
Old Nov 25th 2011, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellingtonboot
For those of us who live in the real world and find electric shavers pants....

it is a need and when you grow facial hair (take it you are still growing whiskers by your comment) you need a fairly decent razor that doesn't take your face off.

Thats the blade i want and im trying to find one that doesnt cost more than my weekly shop.

if i go downstairs 4 mach 3's are 20 NZD per 4 blades.
so say i want 20 blades how much is that? thats 100 NZD?

http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-MACH3...177595&sr=8-20

38.45 USD = 51.8676 NZD

half price.

happy friday.
Talk about lighten up and stop being so anal, it was a fun comment as I too have wet shaved all my adult life strangely using Mach 3 blades and hate the way the razor makers get you on the hook and then pillage you.

So instead of making personal comments out of nowhere, may I suggest you go and pluck your eyebrows or something.

Really there was no need for the comment
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

bigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nicebigjohnny7 is just really nice

Richp - at 25, I was (I thought) relatively settled into a career as an internal auditor. Within a year I had met my now wife (a Kiwi, hence the reason I could come over here) and then shortly after I was made redundant from the job I had been at for 7 years.

I reckon around this time, I made decisions along the line of the ones you're trying to make. What do I want to be and where do I want to be?

I had absolutely no regrets about moving to NZ - and aside from a few gripes, I love it here. In fact, when I see or hear from friends back home I almost feel sorry for them, having to live in such a broken country.

Come to NZ!
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:53 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

The basis for going to NZ was mainly new challenges and a change - but that was on the back of a long professional career so the risks were pretty minimal as I could leave whenever the mood took. In your situation, it may not be so easy.

You will get the happy clappies telling you to 'come over here it is fantastic', and that is true for them, but it isn't true for everyone, as you have read. Just do what is best for you - if you are unsure, it may be best to wait and get your career sorted out first - NZ is not an escape route.

You could always take a gamble of course, but reading your posts suggests a maturity and a sense that the next decision you make could be very important, with long term repercussions. Where do you want to be in 5 years? If the answers to that question revolve around careers / money / stability, then the decision would be fairly obvious - get some qualifications. If your answer to that question is 'In New Zealand' - then you will just have to find a way to make it work.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

im 28. Came here when i was 26. Needed to do something different.

Are things more expensive. Yes. For a 25yo Male. No. Beans on Toast is still very cheap, you will probably grow a beard like my mate did, Flatting is cheap as hell and you can end up in some awesome spots (my first place was overlooking the harbour and auckland skyline). Beer is more expensive but i never seemed to spend any more than i did in Leeds.

Auckland is a good city i enjoyed it. You can do anything in life you want to do. If you want to give it a whirl do it.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:05 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of

at 25 had been to university and was working in cape town. then i went to london and worked. but saying that, you can study at any age. I met a man studying at 80. perhaps decide on a career and study part time or by correspondence. if that is too awful to contemplate, then go for something like an apprenticeship. key thing is you must enjoy what you do! teaching/building/fishing/nursing/accounting or go for working your way round the world on a cruise yacht (smaller version of cruise ship). you only live once! if i was in my twenties again, i would travel the world

Last edited by tweetweet; Dec 1st 2011 at 6:08 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

as above. Great message