Hello

Old Oct 12th 2016, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hello

Hiya

how is everyone? Hope everyone's good. Had a very quick read there and noticed a few people are moving back - congratulations and best of luck!

I'm not long back from my Australia trip. Was there for just over 10 months but I ended up running out of money and didn't have long left on my visa for jobs so I cut my losses and went home. Just waiting to start my new job.

I still want to visit NZ but it'll take me 8 -12 months to save up. I hear its even more expensive than Australia.. Can anyone help me with a budget? I'm trying to work out how much I'd need for 2 months (if I didn't do a WHV).

Cheers
Old Oct 13th 2016, 2:37 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello

Excellent Stacey ! Fantastic.

I wondered how you had got on in Aus and were you likely to come to NZ any time soon. Well, no it seems you won't be as you just said.

Anyway, if you plan to save and come to NZ for a couple of months it depends if you want to do.

Do you want to live on a 'shoe string' budget or will you be flying everywhere by private jet ?

Maybe allow three hundred pounds per week so you get youth hostel accommodation in a back packers lodge or cheap b&b. Daily trips or entrance fees to places plus food will easily take care of that.

Bus fares are usually fairly cheap as there's no city to city trains here in NZ. There's InterCity buses here as well as the suburban bus services.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 13th 2016 at 3:02 am. Reason: Bus
Old Oct 13th 2016, 2:39 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

There's a youth hostel here in Whanganui that has a single bed in a female dorm room for $NZ30. If you are self catering maybe allow as much again for food per day ?

So $NZ30 x 6 =180. The rest will go on food, excursions and entrance fees.

Museums and art galleries are free. So is a walk along the riverbank. There is an iSite in Whanganui with lots of information regarding what's on locally and nationally. Each town has an iSite.

I went to Napier for a holiday and had a nice time. If I went again I would go to the old prison to do a tour there as I didn't know about it at the time.

The vineyards and the cider pub was great in other parts of Napier though !

Allow for a couple of days car rental here and there as there's lots to see that can't always be accessed by foot or public transport.

There are some, 'great walks' in NZ. Milford Track etc.

The Whanganui River journey is one of them. It's a 3 day canoe trip down the Whanganui River staying at camp sites along the way. If you're feeling adventurous.

Or just get the jet boat from Pipiriki to the Bridge to Nowhere. You would have to get to Pipiriki by road, though.

Look up, 'Naked Bus' that's a very cheap bus service that goes from town to town. It's only there because there fares are stripped down to the bare minimum not the driver or the passengers !

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 13th 2016 at 3:04 am. Reason: Extra post
Old Oct 13th 2016, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at Helpx. Manabus seem cheaper and just as good as the others.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Haha nah no private jet for me! That was my mistake in Australia though, I should have settled somewhere for longer instead of flying a lot. Never mind, no point looking back.

It's looking more like a holiday because I'm thinking of going back to studying but i'll put that out my head and just focus on saving money first. Might not get into college this year anyway.

For me NZ would be mostly just seeing the scenery and chilling out. Im not going to go bungee jumping or anything like that. Id like to see hobbiton, queenstown, milford sound and wellington. Not sure what else. Not into partying, just things like wildlife etc. I loved seeing dolphins, turtles in Aus but didn't manage to see whales. Thanks for all your suggestions

Only thing is IF I do end up studying then the only time I can go is NZ winter because college starts in August and finishes in June. My friend was there that time and it still looks beautiful, seems to make the scenery extra special. I guess coming from Scotland I should be used to the cold but I was a total wimp with it in Australia haha!

I'll just have to make a list of areas I want to visit and save as much money as possible and see how it goes. If I don't end up at college then I'll be more flexible with what time of the year to visit
Old Oct 15th 2016, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the kiwiexperience site they do various bus itineries that cover north and south where you can hop off and on . Some of these companies help with hostel bookings on route as well plus of course from a budget viewpoint you can pay for it upfront. Although these companies are generally aimed at backpackers there can be a mix of ages for people on a budget.