Hello

Old Apr 28th 2012, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Graham_E is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello

Hi everyone . I'm a lorry driver from kent looking to work in NZ. Christchurch area if i can as brother in laws family are there, so would have some familiar faces and support. I'm in the early stages of checking it all out & figuring out just how i'm gonna go about it all so any advice, hints or tips very much appreciated. I'm sure i'll have plenty of questions to ask in the coming months!!
Old Apr 28th 2012, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Numpty1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello

Have you done the medical yet?

After I did it I was surprised at how fast the visa came through. (less than 10 weeks)

Numpty1
Old Apr 29th 2012, 8:04 am
Just Joined

diogenese is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello

Hello Graham, a bit of inside info from a truck mechanic in south canterbury.
there is a shortage of drivers here but the wages aren't too hot and the hours are long. You will have to get used to filling out a logbook again and 75% of trucks have a roadranger non synchro gearbox!
They run a lot of 8 wheelers with 8 wheel drawbar trailers rather than semi's so your reversing skills may need refreshing.
There isn't a big population in the south island and a reputation, good or bad, will spread quickly between employers. if you tip one on it's side (it happens rather too often!) Everyone will know the whole story before the week is out