Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

hehe... a moan.....too many ants!

hehe... a moan.....too many ants!

Old Jun 19th 2006, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default hehe... a moan.....too many ants!

What is it with this horrible little ants?

Theres 2 things I really dont like ...one is wasps (not many here luckily) and the other being ants... not sure where my hatred for them comes from!

When we moved into this house last winter I moved some stuff into the bedroom and that day there was a trail of hundreds of little black ants all round the room and going into the cupboard.... the sheer volume of them made my skin crawl! We put down No Ants but it didnt work very fast and I wouldnt sleep in that room for a few days. Finally I hoovered all of them up as they just wouldnt go.

During the summer they kinda disappeared and now they are back with a vengeance!! They are in the bathroom... all over the bath everyday.... on the floor.... and they love climbing all over the toothbrushes!

They are in the hallway but I can handle that.

What I cant handle is that they are literally all over the kitchen. This morning they were in all the cupboards.... in the dishwasher!! They are walking around all over the walls and surfaces. I boiled the kettle at brekky time and the water was filled with loads of little black boiled bodies!! LOL.... yuck yuck yuck... cant even make a cup of tea without the bloody things being in it!! Stupid things moving into the kettle!!! I got the grill tray out of the oven to make littlun some muffins at lunchtime and within minutes there were hundreds swarming all over it (it was clean)... where do they come from??

They must be living in the walls of this house as theres no way they can move that fast.

Im a houseproud person and keep everything clean and tidy but honestly they p me off.... DS is 2 and one little sticky handprint and the kitchen is full of ants!!

Its not quite a phobia but I really dont like them... I know these dont bite but even as Im sitting on the settee I notice them walking over me. I guess they dont like the wet weather also and have come to join me inside.

Am I the only person with a house full of ants?
Old Jun 19th 2006, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice
Default Re: hehe... a moan.....too many ants!

Yeah we had them while in NZ - for some reason they were attacted to the kettle, there were thousands of them living in it so we ended up taking it back to the shop as faulty!

Anyway get a pest controller, they should be able to find the nest and take the buggers out!
Old Jun 19th 2006, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Crikey no! Have had a reasonable amount but mainly in the garden. Have you had your house sprayed? We were going to get it done but instead got two of those Robo Cans from Placemakers. We keep one in the kitchen and one in the hallway and we hardly get any insects at all, even in the summer. The stuff is organic and harmless to children and pets (not sure about fish)

With that many it might be a good idea to get it sprayed and then keep a Robocan going. My friend had his three bedroom house sprayed in the summer and it cost him about $50 but then you have to stay out for a while and vacuum when you get in as he said there were insects all over the floor
Old Jun 19th 2006, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

I hate the little feckers also.
In our last house we had them everywhere just like you described. SOunds like you have an ant hill/nest closeby. We got some pest control company spray inside and out and it did nothing, we got them back and still nothing. I remember waking up one morning and the whole kitchen was black it was amazing to see so many of the feckers almost as bad as cockroaches another hate of mine.
We ended getting a lady from Beachlands called Rose come out and spray , her Husband Robin used to have Beachlands water, we never had them come back after Rose sprayed the whole house, not sure what she used but it worked. Ask your OH to ask Rob the Fire Chief man if he knows their ph # as I can't think of it at the moment.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya... thanks for the replies. Not so many about this morning and non in the kettle (I checked before boiling!).

We are hopefully moving out of this rental in a few weeks time so very loathe to spend any money on it. We already have one broken pane of glass to get fixed (2 year old terror let it slam in the wind) and thats a payment we could have done without at the moment.

Thanks for the contact name annaerb... I will keep that one on file in case the new house has ant problems.... I really hope not. I just hate it when theres more than just a few.... they kinda make my skin crawl.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

We have ant bait down all over the place and theres not so many ants around in my kitchen this week...

Monday night my OH was out so I put our son to bed.... he said "ants mummy" and showed me one on his finger. I brushed it off and we went into his bedroom.... he said "ants" again and pointed to his chest.... he was literally crawling with ants!! He had been in the hallway where there were loads of ants on the hall table and for some reason they were all over him! I brushed them all off him.... he seemed very pleased with himself that he was covered in ants!! lol... what a strange boy... fancy taking all those ants to bed.... oh yuck.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:52 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

When are you moving out Sarah cos that sounds horrible. Little boys are funny aren't they but I would freak out if there were ants in my childrens beds.
Thank godness they don't bite, I was once bitten by one in the UK and it hurt like hell for days and days ... I don't think it actually bit me, I think they squirt a kind of acid on your skin as they are squeazing it with their really powerful jaws. Least that's what a mate told me, I squished it anyways for causing me pain.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes youre right the ants in UK have a pretty good bite on them! These are tiny little ants and Ive been told they dont bite. I've taught my DS not to be scared of animals but he seemed so pleased to be covered in ants I'll have to rethink what I teach him! (Of course I tell him to be cautious of dogs he doesnt know and to ask permission from owners before touching them).

Not sure when we are moving out yet.... still havnt had any news from the UK re. my house sale, expected completion date is 14th July though and I've already signed the contracts and Transfer Deeds and sent them back ages ago... I expect I'll hear something soon. We hope to move out before the end of August.

I found out this week that the house we rent is being advertised for rent by Lighthouse and we havnt even given a date that we'll move out yet. We rent though Barfoot & Thompson and they knew nothing about Lighthouse taking over the management. How can they possibly show people round this house and then say they dont know when its gonna be available to them.... seems a bit illogical to me.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:04 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
Yeah we had them while in NZ - for some reason they were attacted to the kettle, there were thousands of them living in it so we ended up taking it back to the shop as faulty!

Anyway get a pest controller, they should be able to find the nest and take the buggers out!
Sarah, get yourself a robocan and have that on ethe wall. They disappear like no one's business. It's great.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
How can they possibly show people round this house and then say they dont know when its gonna be available to them.... seems a bit illogical to me.
hey we were shown around a house to rent that the landlord hadn't even brought yet!
Old Jul 1st 2006, 6:38 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppets
hey we were shown around a house to rent that the landlord hadn't even brought yet!
lol how mad is that!
Old Jul 1st 2006, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
lol how mad is that!
yes & funnily enough we didn't rent it & he still hasn't brought it!!!
Old Jul 1st 2006, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

yes & funnily enough we didn't rent it & he still hasn't brought it!!!
Where was he bringing it from?
Old Jul 1st 2006, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Where was he bringing it from?

ha ha
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

LOL..... somebody has put a For Sale sign outside our house today by mistake and loads of people have driven past slowly for a good butchers at it. Its really for the house round the corner but the arrows on it point to our house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.