Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Healthcare warning for new immigrants

Healthcare warning for new immigrants

Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Healthcare warning for new immigrants

I haven't been here for a long while properly but thought I would just come and give new immigrants a gentle reminder about healthcare costs.

3 weeks ago my 13yr old son had emergency surgery at Starship children's hospital for a rupturing appendix, which turned into a complex case. We received the forms to fill in to prove we're permanent residents and I completed them and handed them in with a copy of our son's passport/indefinite return visa. The staff member didn't input it into the system and I have just received a bill for the full cost of treatment...

$14303.42!

I don't have to pay it, as we are covered by our indefinite PR but it is a warning to those out there who are not covered! I immediately thought of all those poor people here that this could happen to and had to come on to post my experience.

The breakdown (yes they did end me one!!) of the cost is as follows:

Ward stay - 4.88 days @ $1227.00 per night = $5987.76
Operating room and anaesthesia (per minute) - 139 minutes @ $33 = $4587.00
Surgical staff (per 15 minutes) - 9.27 staff @ $157 each = $1455.39
Children's Emergency Department short stay (more than 3 hours treatment time) - 1 = $684.00

PLUS GST

So total payable is $14303.42

I would highly recommend checking if you are eligible for free healthcare, and getting yourself an insurance policy if you're not.

Michelle
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:53 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Healthcare warning for new immigrants

OMG!!!!!! I had to re-read that figure severalo times over!

Thank you for sharing it is indeed a timely reminder to those without PR.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine having to open up the invoice/bill and stay standing up!! LOL
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:31 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Imagine having to open up the invoice/bill and stay standing up!! LOL
God I have fallen over already!!! we was just looking to change my health cover to bring the cost down!!! no way!!!
If I was not covered I would do what a friend did, how is a pom return back to the UK FALL ill and get treatment.... she got no bill and that was last year.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:32 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Useful info on the NZ MOH view here:

http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/index...nts#ukcitizens

and the UK FCO view here:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ia/new-zealand
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:48 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
$14303.42!
It might be cheaper to have it put down and get a new one, they give them away almost free through adoption agencies .
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

If I was going to spend $14k on a hotel, I'd be doing it somewhere other than New Zealand anyway LOL

Jokes and cost aside, the staff were absolutely fantastic and not one of them ever had a grumpy face on. They would bend over backwards to do anything for the children on the ward, and bent over some more if asked to

Just a shame it cost me almost the above amount in food for me and my son for the week as the hospital food was... um... nope, sorry I can't find a polite enough word, you shall have to add your own expletive here
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
It might be cheaper to have it put down and get a new one, they give them away almost free through adoption agencies .
I can so tell from that comment you don't have a child who has ever had a medical emergency.
Think you might have been watching too much Paul Henry?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of

There are certain counties Uk being one of them that have recipriocal (spelling) agreements that health care is provided free of charge.

If a Kiwi as in UK hospital he would not reveive a bill for his treatment.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 9:57 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Newfies
There are certain counties Uk being one of them that have recipriocal (spelling) agreements that health care is provided free of charge.

If a Kiwi as in UK hospital he would not reveive a bill for his treatment.
That is spelled out in the MOH link I put above but does anyone have experience of how it works in practice?

Does anyone receiving treatment in a UK hospital ever receive a bill?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
That is spelled out in the MOH link I put above but does anyone have experience of how it works in practice?

Does anyone receiving treatment in a UK hospital ever receive a bill?
Yes! I know some women received bills for their maternity care if they weren't entitled to free care. Often some women from Pakistan, Russia etc. But I'm trying to remember the exact reason why. It was a fair reason but it's been over 5 years since I worked in antenatal clinic & at my age the old memory has let me down.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:07 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

I think its worth pointing out that, if you have lived outside the UK for more than three months, you are no longer entitled to free treatment under the NHS.

So if you go to the UK on holiday, you have the same entitlement as any other Kiwi. Travel insurance is a must.

And returning to the UK just for medical treatment is definitely NOT an option.

Last edited by NakiMan; Oct 7th 2010 at 2:31 am.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Yes! I know some women received bills for their maternity care if they weren't entitled to free care. Often some women from Pakistan, Russia etc. But I'm trying to remember the exact reason why. It was a fair reason but it's been over 5 years since I worked in antenatal clinic & at my age the old memory has let me down.
Ditto this, when I was pregnant and frequenting the antenatal clinic there were lots of posters up about being charged fees. I think it was in relation to countries outside of the EU and countries without reciprocal arrangements. I guess to stop health tourists. Never heard of anyone actually being charged though.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan
I think its worth pointing out that, if you have lived outside the UK for more than three months, you are no longer entitled to free at time of use treatment under the NHS.
Fixed if for you.

(I know I could phrase this differently, but my baby brain has wiped out better terminology )
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:11 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by dannigirl
...Never heard of anyone actually being charged though...
Exactly. Let alone anyone actually paying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.