Health Care

Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:26 am
Duts

Dutson has a spectacular aura aboutDutson has a spectacular aura aboutDutson has a spectacular aura about
Default Health Care

Hi again everyone

With regards to health care to my understanding NZ has the same sorta system as our NHS and people also contribute on top of this, is this correct?

Do you have to contribute, if not wots the docs/hospitals like? Is it the same process as UK with appts etc??? And is it worth us getting a copy of all our notes to bring over to NZ with us?

Thanx in advance for any helpful info.

Cheers

Shell
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Care

Originally Posted by Dutson
Hi again everyone

With regards to health care to my understanding NZ has the same sorta system as our NHS and people also contribute on top of this, is this correct?

Do you have to contribute, if not wots the docs/hospitals like? Is it the same process as UK with appts etc??? And is it worth us getting a copy of all our notes to bring over to NZ with us?

Cheers

Shell
hi shell

as far as i'm aware you pay to visit GP & hospitals are free, but you can get medical ins (sorry not much help haven't really needed medical attention.) Drs are good, well ours is anyhow .
We didn't bring our medical notes over just a summary of them (UK Drs printed them free) as we had no major health probs
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We did the same and got a summary of our healthnotes to bring with us. They didnt charge us either.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:51 am
Duts

Dutson has a spectacular aura aboutDutson has a spectacular aura aboutDutson has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by SarahB
We did the same and got a summary of our healthnotes to bring with us. They didnt charge us either.
Thats the prob as I suffer from arthritis and have had quite a few ops, thats why im wondering should i bring a copy of notes, i reckon its cost as well but ah well. Unless u know how long it takes get notes sent from uk GP to NZ docs once registered.

Questions, questions, sorry but as Health is issue just wanna make sure i do wot i can this end.

Thanx all for all help so far.

Shell
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the prob as I suffer from arthritis and have had quite a few ops, thats why im wondering should i bring a copy of notes, i reckon its cost as well but ah well. Unless u know how long it takes get notes sent from uk GP to NZ docs once registered.

Questions, questions, sorry but as Health is issue just wanna make sure i do wot i can this end.

Shell
The summaries are pretty comprehensive in places. Sorry I dont know the answer.... ask them how much it will cost you to get them sent here. I had 5 operations on my left leg to put it back together after an accident but it was all on there. Best speak to your docs and see what they say.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Shell
try sending a Pm to kwprwn, i'm sure her partner/hubby has arthritis,
Old Sep 25th 2006, 11:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Shell
Uk GPs don't send the notes abroad for you - you need to request a copy, then bring it with you to the new doctor. If NZ is like Aus you don't even register with a specific doctor, so its just too complex for UK doctors to forward people's notes, when there often is nowhere to forward them to. Some GPs charge,some don't, but you are entitled to a copy under the data Protection Act.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Hi again everyone

Cheers

Shell
Sorry - Health system not really like the NHS. You do have to pay to see your GP, Dentist etc and prescriptions are sunsidised - but not all and some are expensive - you can get a comunity card though and this helps cover the costs - not sure how as I don't have and don't qualify I don't think. Surgical intervention i fairly limited also, and most folks have private health insurance to ensure full health care cover. Otherwise accidents and emergencies are free at point of deliver as the NHS, and operations valid under the health system are free. However, waiting lists are the same, shortage of health professionals and an infrastructure which is a little behind the UK, and poor health care funding all still apply.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:33 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Waiting lists and shortage of staff seemed very similar to me when I came over here after working in the uk healthcare system.
You have to pay for a dr's app. and even if you have a community service card you still pay but it's a little bit cheaper.
I just have been thrown off a waiting list myself here in Christchurch for something that isn't going to go away, the hospitals just threw off loads of folk and sent them a letter saying they were not considered priority and to go back to their dr's if they thought they were (which involves another appointment fee)
A bit ago I had a dodgy looking growth removed from my arm and it cost about $200 all in which I don't suppose sounds too much until you are earning the kiwi dollars