Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hawkes Bay - Hastings Area

Hawkes Bay - Hastings Area

Old Mar 1st 2007, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hawkes Bay - Hastings Area

Maybe moving from Auckland to Hastings Area, Hawkes Bay later this year. Can anyone give any guidance on good/bad areas, Schools etc.

Thanks
Mickey_D
Old Mar 1st 2007, 3:06 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hawkes Bay - Hastings Area

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Maybe moving from Auckland to Hastings Area, Hawkes Bay later this year. Can anyone give any guidance on good/bad areas, Schools etc.

Thanks
Mickey_D
Sorry can't help with the area but wondered why Devonport to Hawkes Bay? Just curious. Both areas we like or fancy.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 5:40 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Hawkes Bay on our recce. Admitedly for a very short stop over.

In our opinion it wasnt as nice as any of the other places that we had visited ie Auckland, Tauranga and Whangarei.

But it would be a very boring World if we all liked the same things
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Sorry can't help with the area but wondered why Devonport to Hawkes Bay? Just curious. Both areas we like or fancy.
Devonport/North shore is far to busy for our liking, far worse than what we left in the UK (takes us 5 minutes to get out of our road sometimes because of the amount of traffic) & far to expensive house wise. We are renting a lovely house here at the moment, with probably the biggest garden in Devonport, but it is soon to be subdivided & later sold. Can't see the point in spending loads of money on a house & having to share your driveway with 2 or 3 other families & having other house's far too close for comfort.
Looks as though houses are a lot cheaper in Hawkes Bay & you get a lot more for your money.

Mickey_D
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Havelock North if you're one of the 'nobs'.
Plenty of expats too

Kip
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kippers
Plenty of expats too

Kip
Thanks for that, don't think we qualify for the 'nobs' bracket though (hobnobs maybe) unfortunately, better buy another lottery ticket!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:23 am

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of expats too

Kip
nobs? as in if you're a twat, live there? confused.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

nobs? as in if you're a twat, live there? confused.

Isn't it funny how language changes over the years.

I recently called my brother 'bachelor gay' and he's a bit upset

nob:
Chiefly British Slang. A person of wealth or social standing.

Kip

Last edited by Kippers; Mar 2nd 2007 at 8:51 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:00 am

nob:

Kip
Well I thought from Mickey's reply that it must have had something to do with wealth, but I'd never heard that before. I have been recommended Havelock North as a nice place to live in Hawkes Bay since we have children & schools/facilities are meant to be good. Not cheap, but still affordable and at least the houses are quite often on decent sized plots, unlike a lot of Auckland now. What do you know of it?
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

nob:

Kip
lol... I know the "nobs" as well off or posh people even.... I think they were actually "big nobs" where we lived.... glad I wasnt one!!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by SarahB
lol... I know the "nobs" as well off or posh people even.... I think they were actually "big nobs" where we lived.... glad I wasnt one!!
Now reading that in context, I would totally know what 'big nobs' are. But of course it's all relative.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Now reading that in context, I would totally know what 'big nobs' are. But of course it's all relative.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

I have been recommended Havelock North as a nice place to live in Hawkes Bay since we have children & schools/facilities are meant to be good. Not cheap, but still affordable and at least the houses are quite often on decent sized plots, unlike a lot of Auckland now. What do you know of it?

Yes, it's very nice and villagey.
We lived there for a couple of years and our daughter went to the high-school.
The "others" are kept at bay by the relatively high property prices compared to Hastings.

Hastings people say "they're all snobs up there"

Kip
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:52 am

The "others" are kept at bay by the relatively high property prices compared to Hastings.

Kip
Hi Kip,

So is Hastings nice too or not quite as much? Are there any bad areas to either? I really dislike a competitive chipped shoulder environment (I'm Northern born but Southern breed so am well aware of this stuff) so would hope it's not too bad?

Were you happy with the High School?

Where do you live now? And why the move?

Oh questions, questions. I would love to be a TV interviewer in a next life.......

p.s. are you a 'Lost' fan? "others"...

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Mar 2nd 2007 at 9:58 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Kip
I did mean we are not particularly wealthy, sorry to confuse, but gave me a good laugh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.