Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Having a baby in Wellington....??

Having a baby in Wellington....??

Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Kezzar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having a baby in Wellington....??

Hi

This may be a rather random question, but has anyone had experience in having a baby in New Zealand?

My husband and I are heading over to Wellington in the next few months to be closer to family and this is where his job is based. We were planning on starting a family in the next year here in the UK but now that we've decided to head over to New Zealand, I'm curious to find out how easy or difficult this experience may be?

As a foreigner are there any additional expenses you need to pay? Do they offer NCT classes simular to that here in the UK?

I'd love to hear your experiences please...

Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:20 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a baby in Wellington....??

We had a baby here a year ago and found everything fantastic. You get to choose your own mid-wife which is then paid for by the government. There are free antenatal classes or for a small fee you can join another class (in Nelson anyway). We chose to pay as the people in these classes were nearer our age. We chose a home birth and were actively supported by our mid-wife and our back-up. Since birth had plenty of support, lots of postnatal classes etc. Any specific questions you have, ask away
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

joannii is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to highjack your thread, but we were in a similar way, we were thinking of having a baby in the next couple of years but have now decided to move to NZ.

I have heard though that if you have a baby within the first 2 years that you have to pay for everything, is this true?

Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:36 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joannii
Sorry to highjack your thread, but we were in a similar way, we were thinking of having a baby in the next couple of years but have now decided to move to NZ.

I have heard though that if you have a baby within the first 2 years that you have to pay for everything, is this true?

Sorry can't help with that we had been here over 2 years
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of

Hiya,

We came over on a WTR and had our daughter last year and did not have to pay. Not sure if it has changed now though. I know our relocation officer told us that if I had not come over at Xmas 2008 I would of had to pay, but if I told her that if I had not come over I would not be pregnant!

I had an excellent midwife and great care. But as I have never had a baby in the UK I cannot compare. Sorry.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

I have friends here who have had babies in NZ, at no cost. But.... legislation constantly changes here, so best to get up to date info online.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Ask RobClubley - he and his wife had a baby in Wellington at the weekend.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banshigirl
I know our relocation officer told us that if I had not come over at Xmas 2008 I would of had to pay, but if I told her that if I had not come over I would not be pregnant!