British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Have a poxy argument posts - split from a fun thread . :-< cheers BEVS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/have-poxy-argument-posts-split-fun-thread-cheers-bevs-777971/)

waikatoguy Nov 15th 2012 7:38 pm

Have a poxy argument posts - split from a fun thread . :-< cheers BEVS

Good on ya Love30s.
Speaking of surveys, on reading the business pages of Granny Herald this morning, I see Forbes magazine in the US has rated NZ the number 1 country in the world in which to do business!

mikesurf Nov 16th 2012 10:23 am

Have a poxy argument thread. :-<

I don't know of any other counrty in the world that has to keep trying to beef itself up. Other countries in the world know full well that they are great places to live in, they don't need to keep checking whether other countries recognise them as a top destination and place to live. New Zealand needs to get a little bit of self confidence and stop craving outside recognition.

Pom_Chch Nov 16th 2012 2:18 pm

Re: Something positive maybe?

Originally Posted by mikesurf (Post 10385599)
I don't know of any other counrty in the world that has to keep trying to beef itself up. Other countries in the world know full well that they are great places to live in, they don't need to keep checking whether other countries recognise them as a top destination and place to live. New Zealand needs to get a little bit of self confidence and stop craving outside recognition.

Is NZ really trying to beef itself up here? The point of the article is not even about living in NZ, it's from a tourism point of view no?

Even if NZ it is about beefing itself up I don't think it's the only country to do so. I take it you haven't seen the corny adverts about Australia - the candle lit dinner by Aires Rock, tame kangaroos hopping up to kids on the beach...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5__vyZMdlg

simonsi Nov 16th 2012 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by mikesurf (Post 10385599)

NZ has large tourism and export incomes, both of those rely exactly on other countries view of NZ and attract advertising spend, just the same as many other countries around the globe - remember "Cool Britannia" anyone?

If you feel NZ as a country and a population is so insecure for doing this then you are either coming to, or already in, the wrong place imho.

Assanah Nov 16th 2012 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 10386154)
NZ has large tourism and export incomes, both of those rely exactly on other countries view of NZ and attract advertising spend, just the same as many other countries around the globe - remember "Cool Britannia" anyone?

If you feel NZ as a country and a population is so insecure for doing this then you are either coming to, or already in, the wrong place imho.

Germany is a big export nation too and doesn't constantly polish its image or tries to produce a mirage. Instead it relies on innovative top products and competitive prices.

love30stm Nov 16th 2012 7:23 pm

And here we go again with the put downs !!! Can't we just have one positive thread without you miserable muppets ruining everything :frown:

j19fmm Nov 16th 2012 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10386332)
And here we go again with the put downs !!! Can't we just have one positive thread without you miserable muppets ruining everything :frown:

But thank you for trying love30 :wub:

Pom_Chch Nov 16th 2012 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 10386318)
Germany is a big export nation too and doesn't constantly polish its image or tries to produce a mirage. Instead it relies on innovative top products and competitive prices.

No? Do you not remember this one aired on CNN a while back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzcLWNhWD70

love30stm Nov 16th 2012 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 10386337)
But thank you for trying love30 :wub:

:D xxx

love30stm Nov 16th 2012 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 10386338)

;) seems to have slipped ones mind

Pom_Chch Nov 16th 2012 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10386344)
;) seems to have slipped ones mind

Haha I know, convenient right? :rofl:

waikatoguy Nov 16th 2012 7:47 pm

Here's one of stunning beaches, snowcapped mountains, surfing, lush fields with horses running through them and stunning landforms. And thats just the first minute. I thought they were trying to create a mirage to make it look like New Zealand for a while there. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcWMZ751eCk

love30stm Nov 16th 2012 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 10386366)
Haha I know, convenient right? :rofl:

Haha and no comeback I see? probably looking on google for more negative things to post about NZ ;)

love30stm Nov 16th 2012 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by waikatoguy (Post 10386367)
Here's one of stunning beaches, snowcapped mountains, surfing, lush fields with horses running through them and stunning landforms. And thats just the first minute. I thought they were trying to create a mirage to make it look like New Zealand for a while there. :)

:rofl:

Pom_Chch Nov 16th 2012 7:56 pm

:thumbsup:

It probably is NZ but someone's placed "Germany" at the end of the ad...

simonsi Nov 16th 2012 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 10386318)

...and we find out about these how??? Thats it - ADVERTISING!!!! Can you imagine how much advertising $ went into the "Ultimate Driving Machine" branding? Do you REALLY think each and every car BMW produced REALLY was the Ultimate Driving Machine....?

Or perhaps some of it was just hype eh?

Charismatic Nov 16th 2012 10:16 pm

I don't think we should even worry about competing against Germany, we're playing in different leagues. Not because Germany is the nexus of Europe and New Zealand is the last stop for people heading to the barren, frozen wastelands of the south poll either.

We are just different peoples. They are focused on increasing their dominance both economically and politically over the European Union, we are focused on trying to make NovoPay work. We're not thinking on the same level they are and consequently we are definitely not playing in the same level.

We could if we really wanted to though.

mikesurf Nov 17th 2012 9:07 am

haha can't believe you are comparing Germany with New Zealand, that's a bit like comparing Paris to the Invercargil.

mikesurf Nov 17th 2012 9:07 am

sorry that was Invercargil not THE invercargil

mikesurf Nov 17th 2012 9:16 am

I agree with all of that stuff but you can gat all of that in a lot of countries. The important thing is a good standard of living, good housing, cheap produce, a good social life, culture and family and friends. None of which we had in NZ.

Sherlock Holmes Nov 17th 2012 9:18 am

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10386332)

It does get a bit boring doesn't it. If you think this is bad, don't wander into the Oz forum.

Love it or leave it! :thumbsup:

simonsi Nov 17th 2012 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by mikesurf (Post 10387258)
haha can't believe you are comparing Germany with New Zealand, that's a bit like comparing Paris to the Invercargil.

Only insofar as NZ pushes its image and products in the same way as many other countries, Germany started out as just an example.

Sorry you had a poor experience here, what sweeping generalisations apply to your new life/country/circumstances?

love30stm Nov 17th 2012 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes (Post 10387274)
It does get a bit boring doesn't it. If you think this is bad, don't wander into the Oz forum.

Love it or leave it! :thumbsup:

:starsmile:

waikatoguy Nov 17th 2012 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by mikesurf (Post 10387273)
The important thing is a good standard of living,

Um ... was there not protests through the streets of Europe complaining about austerity last week?

In regards friends. I wonder if a change of attitude may have helped. I mean, if all you do is complain about the country, you're not going to endear yourself to the locals. I mean that quite seriously. And/or perhaps the locals may have sensed you were unhappy. It's a hard thing to hide.

For example, you don't believe you had a good standard of living here in NZ. Would that not come out in any friendships you acquired? Is that going to make you someone who is good to be around to a local who believes they do have a good standard of living and who are happy and who actually quite likes living in NZ and likes the country?

love30stm Nov 17th 2012 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by waikatoguy (Post 10387885)

In regards friends. I wonder if a change of attitude may have helped. I mean, if all you do is complain about the country, you're not going to endear yourself to the locals. I mean that quite seriously.

Not the type of Brits I would want to hang out with I would end up slashing my wrists

love30stm Nov 17th 2012 7:13 pm

And the nice positive thread goes downhill and depressing again :nod:

Assanah Nov 17th 2012 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by mikesurf (Post 10387273)

I agree with all of that stuff but you can gat all of that in a lot of countries. The important thing is a good standard of living, good housing, cheap produce, a good social life, culture and family and friends. None of which we had in NZ.

Nobody else finds it striking that the only thing that NZ seem to offer is landscapes?

love30stm Nov 17th 2012 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 10387894)

Nobody else finds it striking that the only thing that NZ seem to offer is landscapes?

Why you still in Auckland????? , you must be such a joy to hang around with

waikatoguy Nov 17th 2012 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10387893)

Keep trying :D

Assanah Nov 17th 2012 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10387895)

Why you still in Auckland????? , you must be such a joy to hang around with

Ah, getting personal now. That's all you can do if people don't agree with you?

Assanah Nov 17th 2012 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by mikesurf (Post 10387258)

Never was a big fan of Germany. That is why I left. But NZ really made me appreciate Germany. I guess that is a good think making peace with your country.

love30stm Nov 17th 2012 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 10387901)

Ah, getting personal now. That's all you can do if people don't agree with you?

Not personal just fed up with you complaining on every thread.

Im Hitting ignore button

love30stm Nov 17th 2012 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by waikatoguy (Post 10387900)
Keep trying :D

:lol: ;)

Assanah Nov 17th 2012 7:37 pm

I wasn't speaking of tourism. I wrote about export. Germany is not a top tourist destination and luckily tourism isn't that important for the economy in Germany. Tourism is known to be a sector that doesn't generate wealth. It is good for generating low-paid jobs. Not something Germany aspires too, I hope.

Catchafire Nov 17th 2012 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 10387894)

I don't think there are to many people on the same page as you Assanah, not on this POSITIVE thread anyway.

I think we all get that you don't like living in NZ, fair enough. But I really fail to understand that wee little thrill you must get from your posts.

Your continual comparison to Germany, achieves what exactly? It's pointless.

BTW I read somewhere that Germen men prefer to urinate sitting down. WTF is up with that?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ing-a-sit-down

So maybe this is the reason that NZ is ultra-annoying for you? Men in NZ are able to stand up, proudly and go with the flow.

love30stm Nov 17th 2012 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 10387947)

I think we all get that you don't like living in NZ, fair enough. But I really fail to understand that wee little thrill you must get from your posts.

That's what I can't understand???

BTW I read somewhere that Germen men prefer to urinate sitting down. WTF is up with that?

So maybe this is the reason that NZ is ultra-annoying for you? Men in NZ are able to stand up, proudly and go with the flow.

:rofl::rofl:

Assanah Nov 17th 2012 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 10387947)

I don't think there are to many people on the same page as you Assanah, not on this POSITIVE thread anyway.

Haha, well at least something else that we can mention on the positive side for NZ, lush bushes and beautiful beaches and men standing up to pee.... :rofl:

I think the point of me comparing Germany to NZ is simply to work out my position. Also I think it good for people that are thinking about moving here to read negative post and also know of the reasons for these posts. I am quite aware that my posts are pointless for you or anybody who is already here.

Pom_Chch Nov 17th 2012 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 10387916)
Germany is not a top tourist destination and luckily tourism isn't that important for the economy in Germany. Tourism is known to be a sector that doesn't generate wealth. It is good for generating low-paid jobs. Not something Germany aspires too, I hope.

http://www.wttc.org/news-media/news-...stagnate-2012/

Berlin is highly popular amongst tourists, especially from the UK. Can't help but resist Ryanair's stupidly cheap flights!

I'm beginning to understand why you don't get on well in NZ. Your attitude is terrible! "Low paid jobs is not something Germany aspires to", have you heard yourself? No wonder you haven't been able to integrate and make friends. It's those low paid people who serve you in a supermarket, who clean your offices, look after your kids in daycare, serve you coffee in Starbucks, stack the supermarket shelves so you can buy the goods. A low paid job is better than no job at all...

simonsi Nov 17th 2012 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10387893)

Yeah, i give up, its getting real hard to give anyone a moderate or typical viewpoint without the bad-experience-and-want-everyone-to-know-it posts turning every example into a doomsday thread....

Think ill take a week off, one of my life aims is not to be depressed by a forum....

love30stm Nov 17th 2012 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 10388024)
Yeah, i give up, its getting real hard to give anyone a moderate or typical viewpoint without the bad-experience-and-want-everyone-to-know-it posts turning every example into a doomsday thread....

Think ill take a week off, one of my life aims is not to be depressed by a forum....

I think I'm going to have a rest from the forum for a while its getting depressing, every positive thread gets turned into negatives