Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Have I made a big mistake?

Have I made a big mistake?

Old Feb 25th 2020, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Maam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Have I made a big mistake?

I would say, give it more time. You have moved to islands in the South Pacific which are very isolated compared to the U.K. it is a young country with a greater land mass than the U.K. but with around 60million less people so things are spread out and “old” is a Victorian villa rather than a Medieval keep...... Also, New Plymouth is not the only place to live and work. Each region is slightly different and has its pluses and minuses. Do some travelling in your spare time to research other centres. To make friends, you have to make an effort and try not to suggest to Kiwis that their way of doing things is wrong (you can think it, but perhaps leave it unsaid until you have been there a while longer). Maybe find out where people that you might get on with would meet up - a rugby club, night classes, hobby groups, volunteer work etc. Stick a smile on your face and fake it until you make it. It worked for me.....good luck!
Old Feb 25th 2020, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I made a big mistake?

Originally Posted by Justcol
Starting a new job, then telling people I'm better than this and you're all doing it wrong and I know better is hardly going to make the most popular new kid on the block.

Seen it time and time again, and always from Brits.
That resonates with me - but is not confined to Anglos, Poms or Brits !