Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever.......

Has anyone ever.......

Old Aug 4th 2007, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all
Default Re: Has anyone ever.......

Originally Posted by Marika 38
Thats what we're doing Redmonsk, Never been, and have sold house, living with my mum and dad until we go, hopefully in no more than 4 or 5 weeks now. My mum in law had been to NZ for 5 weeks and came home raving about it, we did masses of research, went to the London Expo thing, and thought we were all up for it, so lets do it, nothing ventured nothing gained. Lots of people look at us as if we're mad doing it without going there, but we figure you have to live in a place to really know what its like. We arn't mad to do it, loads before us have proved it can be done.
Lots of people think we would be mad to go out without doing a recce, "What if you hate it?!". Basically, I don't think we will! Everyone I speak to either knows someone who has emmigrated there or had a holiday there and no one ever has a bad word to say about NZ.

I know a lot of people complain about wages and cost of living. But I'm hoping we'll be okay. We should be able to buy a house and be mortgage free which would instantly save us about £1000 a month and the house we do buy in NZ would be a lot bigger than we could ever afford here!

I just dream of a nice house with loads of space for the kids to play in!
Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:06 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
I know a lot of people complain about wages and cost of living. But I'm hoping we'll be okay. We should be able to buy a house and be mortgage free which would instantly save us about £1000 a month and the house we do buy in NZ would be a lot bigger than we could ever afford here!

I just dream of a nice house with loads of space for the kids to play in!
If you are able to come here and be mortgage free you'll be laughing. Come on down.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 11:30 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Everyone I speak to either knows someone who has emmigrated there or had a holiday there and no one ever has a bad word to say about NZ.
The ones that go back usually keep quite because of the bad experiance they found. I know of several people who could not hack it out here and returned to the UK.
Biggest mistake is people who bring the baggage of the UK life style with them and do not adapt to the kiwi lifestyle.
People who holiday here in NZ do not see what its really like to live here, come out for 12 months you get an idea.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
The ones that go back usually keep quite because of the bad experiance they found. I know of several people who could not hack it out here and returned to the UK.
Biggest mistake is people who bring the baggage of the UK life style with them and do not adapt to the kiwi lifestyle.
People who holiday here in NZ do not see what its really like to live here, come out for 12 months you get an idea.

Colin......................what do you mean by baggage? Would you go back to UK tomorrow if it was possible? It is scary making the move.............. but I know a few people that have come back to the UK and they have all said they were glad they went and tried it even though it was hard at times..........................it was a great experience. Would you agree?

Redmonsk.........................you are in such an enviable position being mortgage free...........................what a huge weight off your shoulders every month.........................good luck to you all.....................where are you heading?

Last edited by jill1420; Aug 6th 2007 at 8:47 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:08 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Originally Posted by jill1420
Colin......................what do you mean by baggage? Would you go back to UK tomorrow if it was possible? It is scary making the move.............. but I know a few people that have come back to the UK and they have all said they were glad they went and tried it even though it was hard at times..........................it was a great experience. Would you agree?
When refering to baggage I probably could upset a lot of people refering to a cultural differance in lifestyles. I guess everyone does it by making comparisons to the UK (we do it here) and the faster pace lifestyle lead in the UK.
I noticed it on returning to the UK after a 18 month stay and seen it with my wife and Father less so with my mother because she got used to it in earlier trips.
Quite funny because in there company people though I was a returning Kiwi

The thing I call baggage is ATTITUDE

Could we move back to the UK? I think I would not fit in back in the UK because I have that Kiwiana baggage and would find the UK very up itself.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

When refering to baggage I probably could upset a lot of people refering to a cultural differance in lifestyles. I guess everyone does it by making comparisons to the UK (we do it here) and the faster pace lifestyle lead in the UK.
I noticed it on returning to the UK after a 18 month stay and seen it with my wife and Father less so with my mother because she got used to it in earlier trips.
Quite funny because in there company people though I was a returning Kiwi

The thing I call baggage is ATTITUDE

Could we move back to the UK? I think I would not fit in back in the UK because I have that Kiwiana baggage and would find the UK very up itself.

Thanks Colin...................appreciate the honest reply.
Sometimes I wonder what the hell Im even thinking of..........................uprooting ................. leaving close family..........for lets be honest a big risk and alot of what ifs.
Im not running away from anything and I have no rosey dream about what Im running to ..................... other than my main hope of a more positive country offering the children a brighter future. Some will agree.................some will disagree if this is true....................but I cant shake off the idea that its worth a try...................my home town is not looking promising for my kids futures....................they are very sporty...........rugby,golf and boxing and Im hoping these needs will be better catered for in NZ. Having said that ...................... they also understand that we all need to be happy.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

We sold up, packed up and came to live in NZ without doing a reccie first. Its the best thing we've ever done and have absolutely no regrets; we've been here for 19 months. I could NEVER NEVER NEVER imagine going back to the UK, not even for a holiday. Life is sweet here and we're here to stay!
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Winnie
We sold up, packed up and came to live in NZ without doing a reccie first. Its the best thing we've ever done and have absolutely no regrets; we've been here for 19 months. I could NEVER NEVER NEVER imagine going back to the UK, not even for a holiday. Life is sweet here and we're here to stay!
I do read all the negatives as I believe its good to get a balance......................but I especially love reading all the positives..................thanks Winnie
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Thanks folks! It makes me think that anything is possible!
Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
Thanks folks! It makes me think that anything is possible!
Sorry RedMonsk.....................should also have said....................we (me, hubby 2 kids 12 & 10) coming out without visiting before.
We were in Queensland Oz for 4 weeks at xmas and couldnt believe the difference in peoples attitudes compared to UK. Came home saying.............gr8 ............but no way ................... too far. And now we are planning a move to NZ in Jan 08'..................its gotta be worth a try
Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:42 pm
Banned

Anything is possible but overall the life style is way better than what you would have had in the UK.

If we had stayed in the UK I have little doubt we would have either been renting or in a council house. At least here we were able to get out of the city and into a house we can call our own. Would have been better Mortgage free but thats the price of the cards we have been dealt. Trick now is to keep the foot in the door and keep it open, asked me last year and I would have said things were perfect. This year well not quite according to the plan.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im hoping you get a better hand of cards soon..................best wishes
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Anything is possible but overall the life style is way better than what you would have had in the UK.

If we had stayed in the UK I have little doubt we would have either been renting or in a council house. At least here we were able to get out of the city and into a house we can call our own. Would have been better Mortgage free but thats the price of the cards we have been dealt. Trick now is to keep the foot in the door and keep it open, asked me last year and I would have said things were perfect. This year well not quite according to the plan.
Hi Colin, I hope things go a bit smoother for you soon! How long have you been in NZ? They say you have to give it 2 years for things to fall into place!

I think we have finally decided on a destination in NZ!!!........ Looks like it's going to be Northland! We really had to pick somewhere, otherwise I reckon we would have been travelling the country endlessly!! Northland seems to tick all the boxes - just have to try and find hubby a job now!
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

annbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura about

Hi

We are moving out in 10 weeks, never been, going on my sisters recommendation, she has been on holiday there. Hubbie has got a job with the RNZAF so a bit easier for us, as they pay for it all, visas, container, flights etc. We are known in our family for never taking risks, so all are quite shocked that we are going ahead with it. Really cant wait to get over there now and get settled

Love
Annbeexx
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:12 am
big dave

Dave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the rough

My wife and 2 boys still in UK living with mother in law. We had talked about emigrating for years but had never visited but decided it was now or never. I'm 38 wife is 35 boys are 12 and 6. Sold our house put stuff in storage and I left my job on a Friday and left the country 3 three days later. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. Would rather try and fail then spend the rest of our lives wondering. Luckily have had a job offer so family should be over as soon as visa sorted.

Last edited by Dave-G; Aug 8th 2007 at 7:14 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.