Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Harvey Norman stuff up. ( moved from 'what to take with me thread')

Harvey Norman stuff up. ( moved from 'what to take with me thread')

Old Oct 1st 2015, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Harvey Norman stuff up. ( moved from 'what to take with me thread')

Originally Posted by Tom H
Hold on though, tomorrow is the start of the BIGGEST EVENT of the year. Go on the Harvey Norman website tomorrow and see the HUGE HUGE HUGE sales on. Aka 10% off everything storewide! Never know, you may pick up a bargain. They'll hold it for you until you arrive - actually the time it'll take for the purchase to be shipped over (in the highly likely event it's not in stock), you'll have been here for 3 months
Looks like someone stuffed it up big time at Hardly Normal ... biggest sale EVER, with unbelievable prices, too good to be true.
Harvey Norman customers angry after 'biggest-ever retail sale' error | Stuff.co.nz
Old Oct 1st 2015, 9:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: what to take with me to nz when we move

Typical Hardly Normal.

It is a selection of franchises is it not? I may have that wrong.

Anyway, I steered well clear.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 1:03 am
Loves Australia

AceofSpades is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Looks like someone stuffed it up big time at Hardly Normal ... biggest sale EVER, with unbelievable prices, too good to be true. Harvey Norman customers angry after 'biggest-ever retail sale' error | Stuff.co.nz
Hahah yeah I was just reading about that. What a stuff up!!! Tell you if that happened over here they'd have the fair trade people breathing down their necks telling them to honour the sales agreements.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 1:40 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you would think so but from what the lawyer said yesterday about the prospects of success with that type of case is going to be minimal

Last edited by MrsFychan; Oct 2nd 2015 at 2:31 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 9:52 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AceofSpades
Hahah yeah I was just reading about that. What a stuff up!!! Tell you if that happened over here they'd have the fair trade people breathing down their necks telling them to honour the sales agreements.
If that happened "over here?" Harvey Norman is an Australian Company...
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 10:53 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Fair Trade would say that it would be unreasonable to realistically believe that a company would sell goods worth thousands for $100 a pop. from what I have been reading and that is what a lawyer has also said.

my personal thoughts are it was advertised at the cost so should be sold at that cost but things aren't always what they seem
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 11:15 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it would be unreasonable to realistically believe it unless you were on the company's legit website and it processed the purchase. Yes, HN made an error but customers had no reason to believe it was anything other than a complete bargain purchase; HN should honour the purchase.

It matters not that HN are an Australian company - the issue is the NZ consumer protection that allows a seller to change the price of a product AFTER the product has been sold just because the company now believes it was too good a deal
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 12:17 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Three hundred customers purchased goods for less than a hundred bucks each. I wonder what the total value of the goods would have been if they had paid full price or even the normal discount.
To illustrate: 300 items of furniture sold for 100 dollars, i.e. 300 x 100 = $30,000.If the full price or selling price was $1,000 that makes it $300,000. How much profit would HN have made ? Can HN with it's million dollar profit not honour the original price and not lose that much money ? It's not a great deal to them, the marketing of this sale alone must be costing millions.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harvey Norman stuff up. ( moved from 'what to take with me thread')

It just goes to show the naivete of NZ in terms of global online shopping and how things are in the rest of the world. These people who bought stuff have been accused in the media of being greedy, deliberately targeting and taking advantage of poor little Hardly Normal. Cos in reality everyone who sees 'too good to be true' prices is going to ignore it because surely they know it is a mistake.
Cos that's the way the world works isn't it? We see a sofa online for $100; oops better reset that moral compass and not buy it, just in case anyone thinks I was trying to rip off the company. Said no one ever!!
In the UK there are message boards dedicated to this stuff, latching onto every last online pricing and discount glitch with people buying up large to sell on e-bay and the likes. Good on them I say.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Yeah, it would be unreasonable to realistically believe it unless you were on the company's legit website and it processed the purchase. Yes, HN made an error but customers had no reason to believe it was anything other than a complete bargain purchase; HN should honour the purchase. It matters not that HN are an Australian company - the issue is the NZ consumer protection that allows a seller to change the price of a product AFTER the product has been sold just because the company now believes it was too good a deal
It's the same throughout the world... Mothercare had a price glitch on their website, selling a new buggy for 10 quid. Many purchased thinking they were getting it for a tenner, only for the purchase not to be honoured.
Very rare will you see any company honouring a cluster cock up on their pricing. $95 for a brand new 3 piece suite, not even John Lewis or Ikea would come to an agreement on that. Although they would offer a far better deal for their mistake than Harvey Poorman offered.
Then again, I understand the customer thinking of this. When you hear 'biggest ever sale' constantly rammed down your throats and you see that price, may be for once they are telling the truth that it actually is the biggest sale ever.