Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Originally Posted by islandmom
but then again it could be that most of the happy ones dont need this forum any more
I think that is so true, and something that many readers of the forum don't get.
You have only a small sample of the entire population of British Expats in NZ posting on here. Maybe the ones who are happy and settled feel less need to post, and they are too busy "getting on with it" to be wondering "what if"...
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goldberry
Well, either it's a coincidence or an effect from the negative NZ thread here. I suddenly have a completely different picture of the country in my mind than I had yesterday still. The weird thing is that I have been reading since beginning of September all over the Net and seen nothing but positive signals up to "Dooms Day". Duh!

So, question: with all the happy new Kiwis on board, are there any of you that did NOT have a house in the UK to trade for one in NZ? AND have you managed to buy one and cope? Or rent one with the prospect to buy later? It is a question of moving or staying here for us!

My current impression of NZ is (and not only from what I read on this board but on others as well):
1) we need lots of cash to bring with us to cope for the first 3-6 months (preferrably Pds 30.000, much more if we intend to buy a house).
2) houses cost as much as in expensive Bavaria (that's where we currently live), so if you haven't had a house before forget saving money for one in NZ.
3) quality of houses in NZ is bad, really bad. They're like cardboards, no heating, no showers, crap piping; Forget thinking brick - think a garden shed and you get the right picture.
4) the weather is crap: either it's raining or it's windy or it's cold or all of it. Not half as much sunshine as advertised. (Has the climate changed over the years?)
5) the jobs in the skilled migrant category (immediate and long term) don't portrait the actual situation. For instance, IT professionals will have a hard time finding a job outside AKL!
6) the relation between cost of living and income is in imbalance, meaning you earn much less than in Europe but spend a lot more on essentials.
(Question: how much self-sufficiency is possible?)
7) no matter how hard you work (that'd be two of us) you will never make ends meet unless you brought some fundings with you. When you are old, which we will be soon, NZ pensions are crap and you will have to return home to survive on less retirement money there because you have worked abroad.

So: All of this leads me to one conclusion: You can only be happy in New Zealand when you have sold your house in the UK (lucky ba****d!) and bought one in NZ not having to worry about mortgage rates or rent. Well, that leaves my spouse and me out!

And yesterday we received a 4-coloured 60 or so pages long brochure from the NZ Embassy painting a completely different picture!

Right now I'm scared, I'm confused and I'm pretty much down . Sorry!

we've got friends who came over with nothing but a suitcase & very little money, 35 yrs, 2 kids later - both kids have uni degrees & really good jobs, they have a lovely house on 2 acres & a house they rent out, run their own business & they regulary return to UK to visit friends & family.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:47 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Jude J][QUOTE=islandmom]

Me, I wouldn't last a week in Dubai. I would hate the climate, the busy streets, the 'keep up with the Joneses' QUOTE]

god neither would I! My truck is probably the best on the island and its a 15 year old, sand filled landcruiser! its all about what works here - not about shows of wealth. If you show wealth you'll never be accepted by the local community as their life is not about that and would make integration much harder and resentment to form - all they wanna do is lime with you and have a beer. If you're flash (like some of the tourists on the boats) they'll hate you immediately.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Apple12
I think that is so true, and something that many readers of the forum don't get.
You have only a small sample of the entire population of British Expats in NZ posting on here. Maybe the ones who are happy and settled feel less need to post, and they are too busy "getting on with it" to be wondering "what if"...
I dont think that happy or unhappy has anything to do with it, just depends on what you are like as a person for internet and stuff...I for one like the internet and this is the first job I have ever had that allows me access to the internet so its quite a novelty, its rare I use this site at home now, although in the uk I used to spend loads more time on the internet

I dont know many people here in NZ yet and really only ever go anywere with my other half, I dont miss the fact that i have no friends here, and to be honest it doesnt bother me, so does that make me unhappy...I think NOT

My other half is the best friend I could have
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

sounds like my kind of place! We took our little boat out on Sunday, its a case of the worst boat on the best beach! To make it even funnier, both engines broke and we had to hail a passing boat to tow us back to shore (we were about 2 ks out) It was brilliant.

This post looks out of place now...it was in response to islandmom and what its like where she is!

Last edited by Jude J; Nov 9th 2006 at 12:00 am.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:29 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
Bloody hell where did you live? ........ice off the inside of our bedroom windows in the morning.
nail, head, hit, the, the, on ---- arrange into a sentence.....plus of course you need to add "what were/are your expectations in a house/climate?"
here's an example: my neighbour (in the "Sunny" West Midlands) cracked a large hole in her little toe the other night and when her daughter came knocking at the door asking for a plaster I went in to minister to her and what did I find? an ambient temperature in her lounge of over 26C .... in November ..... thats 7C above the temperaure in our lounge and another few degrees above the bedrooms - so its all relative - I like it on the cold side, not the damp mind, but cold and windy is OK - just put on another layer and get those extremeties excercised (!). She likes it baking hot so she can mooch around the house in a vest in the winter.......does that make the weather different 10 yards down our street??
People will always find something in the weather to moan about - no doubt my neighbour would find most houses in UK/NZ too cold but then I wouldn't......
Originally Posted by mazi
Yes. I LOVE it. Anyone who says it's rubbish is wrong and/or a liar.
well, its like any other country there are good places and bad places - generalising like this, even when based on direct experience is always gonna be limited and give *someone* the wrong impression.
I for one have found Kiwis to be far less rude than Italians when I have met them as tourists/expats ie away from their homes.....but then saying "all Italians are rude" would be an incorrect generalisation, albeit based on my experience.......
as for costs, try comparing rural southern Italy with the north - they are like two different countries as far as the economy goes....horses for courses....apples and pears....stale cliches...... Auckland and rural NZ .....
No doubt NZ is more expensive than I envisage, colder, less hospitable and it'll be hard work but I'm in it for the long term, for the kids and a new challenge......might not stay the distance but at I'll have tried - as my boss said "it might not be the exact right decision to go, but it could well be the wrong decision not to....."
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Hello lardy.
Its a blustery rainy day here in 'sunny' Auckland! Love it though. When you see the pics of NZ, its all green and lush, and its only like that cos it rains loads! Its just weather eh? I am at work rain or shine! Unless I worked on a building site or something else outdoors it doesn't make a great deal of difference.

What are you doing at this time in the morning anyway?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:54 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello lardy.
Its a blustery rainy day here in 'sunny' Auckland! Love it though. When you see the pics of NZ, its all green and lush, and its only like that cos it rains loads! Its just weather eh? I am at work rain or shine! Unless I worked on a building site or something else outdoors it doesn't make a great deal of difference.

What are you doing at this time in the morning anyway?
trying to get away from the PC and go to bed ---- ate too mcuh chocolate, drank too much Lagavulin and watched too much footie this evenin'!
how about yous?
know about the rain - suspect its less spread out though ..... ??
not nasty foggy and orrible like ere and there's more sunlight??
or is the BBC weather site wrong too??
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lardyl
trying to get away from the PC and go to bed ---- ate too mcuh chocolate, drank too much Lagavulin and watched too much footie this evenin'!
how about yous?
tis the bbc what do you expect
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

how about yous?
No no, that is true, at least for this part of the country anyway.

God I imagine you are completely wired after all that. Dont know what Lagavulin is tho, but thinking it is some kinda booze?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:33 am
you dewty owld maan!

No no, that is true, at least for this part of the country anyway.

God I imagine you are completely wired after all that. Dont know what Lagavulin is tho, but thinking it is some kinda booze?
its an Islay single malt - it was the distillers ed so pretty nice though - me mate had his un-named bottle from the malt club to finish off too - as it was un-named I can't "drop" that name here ..... tasted like a speyside to me but he wouldn't tell me!!!!
anyroad off to bed now.....
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

its an Islay single malt - it was the distillers ed so pretty nice though - me mate had his un-named bottle from the malt club to finish off too - as it was un-named I can't "drop" that name here ..... tasted like a speyside to me but he wouldn't tell me!!!!
anyroad off to bed now.....
Oh I have a feeling I have asked you that before, at least, I remember that reply anyway!
Good night, you should sleep well now
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

westies is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the rough

Agree with the terrible weather in Auckland today, I have just stood in the kitchen making the kids some tea, I looked out the window to see a tree fall over and squash the house next door, as though it was made of cardboard, it was a big tree though!!!
The curtains were shut so I presumed they were at work, then the lady crawled out from somewhere, oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!
She is fine and the fire service have just arrived, that's the downfall of living in the bush I guess!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by westies
Agree with the terrible weather in Auckland today, I have just stood in the kitchen making the kids some tea, I looked out the window to see a tree fall over and squash the house next door, as though it was made of cardboard, it was a big tree though!!!
The curtains were shut so I presumed they were at work, then the lady crawled out from somewhere, oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!
She is fine and the fire service have just arrived, that's the downfall of living in the bush I guess!

Crikey :scared: Hope she is alright, I was thinking that the wind was strong enough to bring a tree down. I can hear sirens from where I am at work, in Browns Bay, probably happening all over
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:35 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwprwn
I dont think that happy or unhappy has anything to do with it, just depends on what you are like as a person for internet and stuff...I for one like the internet and this is the first job I have ever had that allows me access to the internet so its quite a novelty, its rare I use this site at home now, although in the uk I used to spend loads more time on the internet

I dont know many people here in NZ yet and really only ever go anywere with my other half, I dont miss the fact that i have no friends here, and to be honest it doesnt bother me, so does that make me unhappy...I think NOT

My other half is the best friend I could have
I'm (we're) exactly the same. Although, I do go on the net at home but not half as much as I used to. But, we never were people to go out very much and just because we're on the other side of the world doesn't change that. We DO go out much more than we ever used to but that's only in relation to our former lives - someone who's out all the time would probably think our lives really boring And there's nobody I'd rather spend time with than my hubby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.