Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Old Nov 8th 2006, 7:40 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

right - to put it nother way

we have more disposable income here by miles than we did in the Uk, my husband earns more ( shock horror) , our house is gorgeous ( we think), we are happier and have no stress and I could go on for ages and usually do, but you know what - you will all hear what you want to, if you focus on the negatives then thats your problem

What you have to remember is that nobodies experience is yours!! Some people hate NZ for whatever reason and some love it for whatever reason. You have to try it for yourself if you want to.
If you let a forum scare you off then.... well you're a wee bit silly! And I'm sure nobody here is a wee bit silly.

be brave! ( or a wee bit silly!)
Old Nov 8th 2006, 7:46 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
well you're a wee bit silly! And I'm sure nobody here is a wee bit silly.
I am

Old Nov 8th 2006, 7:48 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
I am

nah!!!

actually we must be too cos when we told people what we were doing some of them said 'you must be mad'
Old Nov 8th 2006, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Batty
Oh Mazi - if only that were the case! My agents are working so hard at the moment I'm bloody exhausted! The only houses that don't sell are either 'leaky' homes or too expensive. End of story. A reasonably priced house sells, and usually within 4 weeks.
Hi Batty!

You'll tell us the truth when you leave at Christmas, won't you?!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

we have more disposable income here by miles than we did in the Uk, my husband earns more ( shock horror) , our house is gorgeous ( we think), we are happier and have no stress and I could go on for ages and usually do, but you know what - you will all hear what you want to, if you focus on the negatives then thats your problem

What you have to remember is that nobodies experience is yours!! Some people hate NZ for whatever reason and some love it for whatever reason. You have to try it for yourself if you want to.
If you let a forum scare you off then.... well you're a wee bit silly! And I'm sure nobody here is a wee bit silly.

Well said!!!!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

We didn't come over with much money, and we are doing fine. We rented for over 3 years and when we were ready to buy we only had a very small deposit so our mortgage is quite high but not unmanageable. We have 3 children, two teenagers and a baby, and we both work sort of part time hours!
Out of the all the people we know, they all own their own homes, all have holidays abroad, all have a decent standard of living and all earn an average wage.
Thing is, some people just dont like it here, they cant make it work, all they can do is put up with it and be very unhappy, or go elsewhere and try again.

My sister lives in Munich, I have been there several times, I think it is a beautiful city, and I love the surrounding areas. If thats where you are now then I think you will miss that. I was on the phone last night to my sister, she is coming for a holiday in Feb and she cannot wait, she has been before years ago and fell in love with it here.

I find that it is cheaper than living in UK, our house cost about the same as one in our home town on the south coast of England but is far better, its in a lovely location, and is nothing like a shed! It doesn't have central heating but instead of moaning about being cold we brought an electric heater
and an electric blanket. It does have a bath, we also had a bath in our rental home, and we must have looked at 40 odd houses in our search and only one or two had a shower only.

Are you able to come here for a while and see what you think for yourselves? I do hope you wont be put of by some negative posts from the minority of people who didn't like it here!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sniffydog
I made the mistake of paying £300 for one - utter crap. wouldn't spend £300 again never mind $900!!!
I thought mine was crap too!! Ad went summat like 'Buy a Dyson, it will change your life!'. 3 days later my wife left me for a toyboy she'd been having an affair with for 3 months!!!!!! :scared:

Still if she hadn't pissed off I'd still be stuck in the UK..like she is!!!!

Every cloud has a silver lining..even really dark ones!!!!!!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jude J
We didn't come over with much money, and we are doing fine. We rented for over 3 years and when we were ready to buy we only had a very small deposit so our mortgage is quite high but not unmanageable. We have 3 children, two teenagers and a baby, and we both work sort of part time hours!
Out of the all the people we know, they all own their own homes, all have holidays abroad, all have a decent standard of living and all earn an average wage.
Thing is, some people just dont like it here, they cant make it work, all they can do is put up with it and be very unhappy, or go elsewhere and try again.

My sister lives in Munich, I have been there several times, I think it is a beautiful city, and I love the surrounding areas. If thats where you are now then I think you will miss that. I was on the phone last night to my sister, she is coming for a holiday in Feb and she cannot wait, she has been before years ago and fell in love with it here.

I find that it is cheaper than living in UK, our house cost about the same as one in our home town on the south coast of England but is far better, its in a lovely location, and is nothing like a shed! It doesn't have central heating but instead of moaning about being cold we brought an electric heater
and an electric blanket. It does have a bath, we also had a bath in our rental home, and we must have looked at 40 odd houses in our search and only one or two had a shower only.

Are you able to come here for a while and see what you think for yourselves? I do hope you wont be put of by some negative posts from the minority of people who didn't like it here!
i agree

we didnt come with too much money and were able to rent a house and buy some furniture etc and get by on what we were earning and we are nt earning mega money between us..Ok we have financed the purchasing of our house with the proceeds of our uk house sale but have managed for 7 months until now, renting a property etc with what we had, and we didnt come with too much money

Our house is nice, and so far warm and dry and not a shed by any stretch of the imagination, with a shower and a bath

there are some houses which are not so good condition, but with a bit of hard work and determination you can find some nicer ones and not to pricey
Old Nov 8th 2006, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Genesis
I thought mine was crap too!! Ad went summat like 'Buy a Dyson, it will change your life!'. 3 days later my wife left me for a toyboy she'd been having an affair with for 3 months!!!!!! :scared:

Still if she hadn't pissed off I'd still be stuck in the UK..like she is!!!!

Every cloud has a silver lining..even really dark ones!!!!!!

You just made me splutter my coffee everywhere

glad it worked out for you, just been looking at your family pics and thinking what a lovely family you have there! And all thanks to a dyson...magic
Old Nov 8th 2006, 8:57 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Hi Batty!

You'll tell us the truth when you leave at Christmas, won't you?!
I always tell the truth Mazi
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

PD..I could have written your reply above..we too have far more disposable income inspite of earning less than we did in the UK. I have not met one really poor ex UK person here yet..not one (been here 19 months and met many!). I know NZ has a huge poverty problem..but so does the US..so does europe..I just read that all the 'city bonuses' this year amount to something like £39 billion for just 4-5 of the biggest investment houses......shared out amongst a few thousand dealers and bankers!!!! In the big world there will always be haves and have nots.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

we brought an electric heater
and an electric blanket. I
Did you bring them from England?
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

You just made me splutter my coffee everywhere

glad it worked out for you, just been looking at your family pics and thinking what a lovely family you have there! And all thanks to a dyson...magic
Cheers mate..I always believe in telling it how it really is, aye? She's still with the toy boy..they got married..I know all this cos she's my sister's best mate :scared:

Your post earlier is very inspirational..good luck to you! Thank you for your kind words re family..If you are ever in Palmy come and see us for a meal aye!!??
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

We bought an elec blanket, several of those fin heaters that cost the earth to run put pink batts all over the place and put under-floor heating in.

Still freezing.

Last edited by mazi; Nov 8th 2006 at 9:09 pm. Reason: forgot something
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Genesis

If you are ever in Palmy come and see us for a meal aye!!??
He says that to everyone. I wasn't kind - and we're going for a pizza next June!

(Seriously though, Gen, that is a pretty crap thing to happen. Hooray for Kate and her nimble pizza-dough-making-clever fingers though!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.