Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:48 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Originally Posted by Paladin
How about..................

get off your fat lazy butts and earn some more money so you can buy what you want and stop whining!!!!!
Otherwise, shut up and just get on with it!

Not an option in NZ mate.

To quote someone on the Oz forum -

"sorry if you didn't understand what I just said but you will when you live here"

Buzzy
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Not an option in NZ mate.

To quote someone on the Oz forum -

"sorry if you didn't understand what I just said but you will when you live here"

Buzzy
i refer you to my earlier comments...................

learn how to trade currencies, then you don't need a job in NZ, you can do it from home, in your spare time, no worries about customers or suppliers or the economy; its there 24 hrs per day!!! And you can open a FOREX trading account with as little as US$500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about that????????????????????????????
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:53 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

i refer you to my earlier comments...................

learn how to trade currencies, then you don't need a job in NZ, you can do it from home, in your spare time, no worries about customers or suppliers or the economy; its there 24 hrs per day!!! And you can open a FOREX trading account with as little as US$500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about that????????????????????????????
Yes you have the ideal life me old china.

Buzzy
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes you have the ideal life me old china.

Buzzy
I wish!!!

But just making the point that if people REALLY want more money, they can get it, so they should put up or shut up!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 8th 2006, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish!!!

But just making the point that if people REALLY want more money, they can get it, so they should put up or shut up!!!!!!!!

I REALLY wanted more money, so I left NZ.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mazi
I REALLY wanted more money, so I left NZ.

Exactly!!!

Old Nov 8th 2006, 5:02 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Dyson vacuum cleaner in the UK 300GBP (at that time). Dyson vacuum cleaner in NZ $900 (at that time).
I made the mistake of paying £300 for one - utter crap. wouldn't spend £300 again never mind $900!!!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Goldberry will become famous soon enoughGoldberry will become famous soon enough

Sorry to butt into your little menage à trois/quatre, but I still have this question (see page one, first contribution).

So, question: with all the happy new Kiwis on board, are there any of you that did NOT have a house in the UK to trade for one in NZ? AND have you managed to buy one and cope? Or rent one with the prospect to buy later? It is a question of moving or staying here for us!
Oh, and I'm not a sales person, so no looking into making money with ripping people off.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Goldberry
Sorry to butt into your little menage à trois/quatre, but I still have this question (see page one, first contribution).

Oh, and I'm not a sales person, so no looking into making money with ripping people off.
oh S***, sorry.

No.

What was the question again?
Old Nov 8th 2006, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

I remember!

Had a house in UK, fell down, lost oodles of money, went to NZ with almost no money, bought a house there (nice (naive) banking person to the rescue!), mortgage cancelled out food shopping, still have house there.

You can probably gather from my posts that I think you should STAY where you are!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Goldberry will become famous soon enoughGoldberry will become famous soon enough

Had a house in UK, fell down, lost oodles of money, went to NZ with almost no money, bought a house there (nice (naive) banking person to the rescue!), mortgage cancelled out food shopping, still have house there.
Sorry that it didn't work out for you, mazi. You're still young, aren't you - so no worry there. What is with the house now?
How on earth did you get a banking person to give you credit for a house with almost no money (how much is 'almost no money' in Euros, if you don't mind me asking)? :scared:

You can probably gather from my posts that I think you should STAY where you are!
*puts hands over ears* Not listening, not listening!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

Sorry that it didn't work out for you, mazi. You're still young, aren't you - so no worry there.
Am I? What makes you think this?
Old Nov 8th 2006, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

How on earth did you get a banking person to give you credit for a house with almost no money (how much is 'almost no money' in Euros, if you don't mind me asking)? :scared:
I have a very winning smile - see? And people in NZ are a bit...well...you know...Also Boyfriend entered in on the deal which helped with him being Kiwi (stick to their own, they do) and earning a decent wage and having banked at that bank since he was 4 or something.

In euros - about 1500

Oh, and the house is now being rented out because the 'real' estate agents in NZ do no work whatsoever for their 4%.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 7:18 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and the house is now being rented out because the 'real' estate agents in NZ do no work whatsoever for their 4%.
Oh Mazi - if only that were the case! My agents are working so hard at the moment I'm bloody exhausted! The only houses that don't sell are either 'leaky' homes or too expensive. End of story. A reasonably priced house sells, and usually within 4 weeks.

Goldberry. I AM in NZ AND we came with Euros. None of this 'oh dear we've only got $2.7 to the pound'. We got less than $1.5 We did have around $100k but have a mortgage over $300k. We've got no children here. That's important to bear in mind. Mortgage cancels them out though

This is the way I look at it. In Ireland I brought home 500 'things' every week (doesn't matter if they're Dollars/Euros/Pounds). Here I bring home just under 700 'things', even though I earn less in exchange terms - no matter - it's irrelevant once you're here. Most items cost the same here in Dollars as they did in Euro. We can spend $70 a week on groceries or we can spend $180 a week on groceries - depends on what we need. In Ireland I could spend 70/180 Euro. My bus ticket for the week in Ireland was 39 Euro - here it's 36 Dollars. See where I'm going with this? We hardly ever could afford a takeaway in Ireland - here we have too many We smoke and drink, again far too much - I worked out the other day that if we didn't we could save $600 a month

It's no more expensive here than many European countries. People from the UK really are insulated because of the economies of scale their large population affords them and are used to getting a lot without having to open their wallet (doctors for instance) but most Europeans are not in this situation so it's no biggie. If you want any specific information please PM me. Good luck.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 7:40 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

The average wage is rubbish and the cost of every day things (like food) are expensive on the average wage.
Most kiwis have second jobs or are doing something on the side to stay afloat.
This is just my view though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.