Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hamilton Help needed please

Hamilton Help needed please

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of
Default Hamilton Help needed please

Hi All,

Been here in NZ for a month now. Might have to move from Auckland to perhaps Hamilton with work can anyone give me any ideas on the best places to live in Hamilton.

Would perhaps look at moving out to Raglan later on, but initially it needs to be in Hamilton

Thanks
Old Jun 4th 2010, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hamilton Help needed please

Originally Posted by rason
Hi All,

Been here in NZ for a month now. Might have to move from Auckland to perhaps Hamilton with work can anyone give me any ideas on the best places to live in Hamilton.

Would perhaps look at moving out to Raglan later on, but initially it needs to be in Hamilton

Thanks
Sorry cant help with the 'where to live' thing but i dont think there are many 'bad' parts to be honest. most of it is rather lovely - lots of new buildings going up all over the place - subdivision city!!

I love Hamilton - its a beautiful town, lovely river running through the middle, with walkways alongside, nice parks, decent places to eat and drink, even a bit of free parking to be had if you know where to look.

I dont think you will be sorry you moved there, when you have.

Good luck with the move xx

Psycho x
Old Jun 4th 2010, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

parts of Nawton and faifield are dodgy so i would suggest looking elsewhere.
If you gave an idea of what you wanted it might be easier.
you could look at dinsdale which is on the road out to whatawhata and raglan,
there are some iffy places around it but there are also some nice places in it.
anywhere north of the city is fairly ok, theres a lot of newer stuff up there in
the St andrews,Flagstaff,Rototuna areas.
south of the city hillcrest and glenview are ok but like everywhere there will be
some parts of them that are not as nice as others.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

Hi

I lived outside of Hamilton in Ngaruawahia for a couple of years & would always drive into Hamilton along the 'back route' which is River Road as I enjoyed looking at the houses and subdivisions along there. If you like new there is Flagstaff (a bit sprawling) but further up some more traditional older housing. Always had a sense though that this was 'the' place to live. Lovely views of the river.
When I first lived there it felt like a bit of a 'cow town' but that WAS 1994. My last trip was 2008 and I could not believe how much it had developed. Cafes, bars, restaurants, a new cinema complex and new shopping malls. If we had the jobs to go to I wouldn't hesitate in living there again.

Martyc
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of

Places to Avoid

Fairfield
Enderley
Fairview downs

Parts of Nawton and Dinsdale and Hamilton East is predominantly University houses and flatting areas so good chance for rowdy student neighbours Silverdale is also close to the university.

Definately avoid Bader Street though Pine Avenue off it is nice and I know a few people who live there and have no issues. It is two families in the area that are the issue.

Newstead Ruakura Rukuhia Fitzroy Flagstaff Rototuna Pukete St Andrews Chartwell Forest Lake & Lake Domain are all nice areas.
That should give you a few areas to aim for when looking for a rental.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

Thanks you have been awesome for advice
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

I have a cousin who lives in Beerescourt, one road in from the river. I found it quiet and well kept and its a great walk down by the Waikato. And of course it's not too far from the Zoo...we love it there
Old Jun 7th 2010, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

You'd love the river walk at the moment. The trees have still got their autumn
colours and it looks lovely when the sun is out and glistens off the water.

Jealous yet ????
Old Jun 7th 2010, 4:01 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

So glad this post has appeared. Thanks Rason.

We are needing help with the more rural areas with land around Hamilton. Any good advice here
Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of

Rural areas such as
Rukuhia
Newstead
and north of hamilton like
Gordonton
Horsham downs off the top of my head.
Steer clear of the east of Cambridge working your way up to Matangi
A due to the fact that in 5 years time ot wont be rural as of all the sub divisions and Matangi are rife for burglaries in the past 5 years.
Will post more later when I have more time.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Hamilton is spreading and as Newfies has said there are huge areas being
redesignated for residential use. Development will spread out from Glenview,
Fitzroy & Hillcrest and areas like Tamahere will be swallowed up.
You could look at areas like whatawhata and around Te Awamutu or Ohuapo
as all are withing 30 mins of Hams CBD
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

witty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nice

I have been here two weeks and am working in the Hospital. I have been told the places to go are Hillcrest and Dinsdale in town with Flagstaff just outside. Huntley and the area of Ngaruawahia are to be avoided. I personally like the look of Cambridge and Te Awamutu but then Raglan has a huge pull. Saying that we saw some nice towns about 45 mins away on the way to Karangahake Gorge yesterday.

I have to remind you that most of this I have been told and it is not my view.
Hope it helps a little.

Ps if you fancy a beer or two or even a coffee let me know.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Ok here is my list of rural areas (my opinion and i take no responsibility)

As stated in ealier post
nice rural areas to the south of Hamilton are
Rukuhia
Ngahinipouri
Ohaupo
Kaipaki
Te Awamutu
Pirongia
Cambridge
Karapiro
Newstead
Rotorangi
Eureka
Pukerimu
Monavale
Leamington

Nice rural areas to the north side of hamilton are

Whatawhata
Te Kowai
Gordontom Whitikahu
Netherby
Piako
Morrinsville
Horsham Downs
Waingaro
Glen Massey
Orini

All are up to or about 30 minutes drive to the centre of Hamilton or CBD (central business district)

East side of Cambridge such as
Bruntwood
Fencourt
Hautapu
Right up to Tamahere and Matangi are all being subdivided and sold.
So you are buying rural at the moment in 5 years you will be in a housing estate again so I would avoid these areas. Also as stated earlier there is a high burglary rate.

I hope this give a few areas to look at with a good cross section of price. The most expensive areas are South Cambrige and Karapiro northern pricey area is Horsham downs.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:30 am
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

These facts are really useful. Many many thanks.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

thanks for all the info. Ive got the interview tomorrow so will know more in the next couple of weeks.

Witty - If I end up there I will certainly take you up on that Beer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.