Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hamilton or Auckland?

Hamilton or Auckland?

Old Dec 1st 2012, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

katiepai has a spectacular aura aboutkatiepai has a spectacular aura aboutkatiepai has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hamilton or Auckland?

auckland is best if you want a good varied social life but it is expensive and there are areas you should avoid - like anywhere. hamilton has good bars,restaurants etc and is cheaper with less traffic. I would personally go for Hamilton or if Auckland - head north - but that means a long commute to CBD
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 6:00 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki W
We've been looking around Auckland the last couple of days and are
liking St Heliers to Mission Bay and Devonport.
Right, Hamilton has nothing to compare with these sorts of suburbs, imo. I assumed if you were choosing between the two you must be considering the cheaper streets of Auckland. If you can afford to live in decent areas of Auckland I can't see why you'd even consider Hamilton- and I'm not a Hamilton-hater; Hamilton has its pluses.

I'm having second thoughts about Auclkland too, the weather hasn't exactly been favourable the last few days.

We're feeling a bit deflated now, not sure what to do next.
This is why I think recces can be a total waste of cash. Some rubbish weather, see a few kids hooning about, have a bad meal out and a quick chat with a grumpy local and it's too easy to get an unfavourable impression of a place.

Originally Posted by love30stm
More to Hawkes Bay than Napier!!!
Not really, to be fair. I LOVE Hawkes Bay- especially to visit- but unless you're a proper small town/rural sort there's really nothing more to HB than Napier, which is still at best a small town.

Originally Posted by love30stm
I think you get kids hanging around in the uk that should be at home too??
Agreed- you get this everywhere! Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland- everywhere. Can't believe this would actually be something worth noting unless it was large gangs.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Infern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really nice

Having lived in Hamilton for the last 18 months, I have to say I can't wait to get out of it.

I live in the Rototuna suburb, which is actually quite nice, but the place is just so boring and insular.

It's the hardest place to make friends I have ever been to, the only thing people seem to want to do is go out and drink, which is fine from time to time, but not as a lifestyle.

The CBD is a crypt, there is no culture.... yeah, not good.

It's probably fine if you are a lot older and just want to settle down, but if you still have a spark left in you, go to Auckland. I might see you there as soon as I can get a transfer out of here.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid Hamilton wasn't for us we didn't take to it at all. I'm having second thoughts about Auclkland too, the weather hasn't exactly been favourable the last few days.

We're feeling a bit deflated now, not sure what to do next.
It is good to know the bad parts about a place too. It is not all nice here. In Auckland it rains a lot - A LOT! We just had a nasty tornado today. Auckland is expensive! But if you want some sort of cultural life than Auckland or Wellington is your best bet. Nothing compared to European cities though but tons better than other cities in NZ.

Last edited by Assanah; Dec 6th 2012 at 1:12 am.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

its always a better idea to live in the smaller towns around Hamilton than in Hamilton itself.
Smaller towns have more character, community spirit, and its easier to make friends as small
town folk are usually more amiable