Hamilton area

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:35 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hamilton area

Originally Posted by Supadolphin
Just like to add my comment that I have been in Hamilton 4 weeks next Tuesday (he he!). I came on July 10 with my daughter to join hubby whose been here a while working for the council. We love it and I just started my new job last Tuesday. Early days I know but so far consider Hamilton is vastly underated. It has everything we need. Weather has been great so far apart from recent wet weather but hey this is winter. We think it's great so far and would recommend it to anyone. Only downside is we can't get inernet in our rental (long story but exclusive to our particular circumstances and would not happen in a normal rental arrangement). Cheers to Karoneous for a great blog which I have read avidly over the last 9 months since we started out on this venture.

Debs
Thanks for that Debs - nice to know it gets read!
We might almost have enough people shortly to do a Hamilton meet-up The library will give you a free half hour internet access every day - better than nothing eh?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Cram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by karonious
Thanks for that Debs - nice to know it gets read!
We might almost have enough people shortly to do a Hamilton meet-up The library will give you a free half hour internet access every day - better than nothing eh?
That will keep the kids half happy thanks for that
karonious you mentioned earlier that you were told to avoid Melville, Nawton and around the University any perticular reason why? and also any idea what the Dinsdale area is like not sure why but the wife seems only to be looking at property in the Dinsdale area
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:57 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cram
That will keep the kids half happy thanks for that
karonious you mentioned earlier that you were told to avoid Melville, Nawton and around the University any perticular reason why? and also any idea what the Dinsdale area is like not sure why but the wife seems only to be looking at property in the Dinsdale area
From what I gather, parts of Nawton and Melville are low socio-economic areas. With no disrespect to people who live in those suburbs, it generally means that there are higher levels of unemployed people and the associated problems that can bring. We looked at several houses to buy in Melville and certainly, there were some nice areas. The University area (I was told) tends to be full of students renting so all-night parties and poorly tended properties may well be the norm. I don't know Dinsdale well at all - did you check the estate agent link relating to suburb profiles I put on the Wiki? It may have some info on there. To be honest, we rented in Glenview initially because it was simple to get to the hospital from, enjoyed it here so decided to buy here without really looking much further than Deanwell, Fiztroy, Melville - the surrounding suburbs.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Cram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by karonious
From what I gather, parts of Nawton and Melville are low socio-economic areas. With no disrespect to people who live in those suburbs, it generally means that there are higher levels of unemployed people and the associated problems that can bring. We looked at several houses to buy in Melville and certainly, there were some nice areas. The University area (I was told) tends to be full of students renting so all-night parties and poorly tended properties may well be the norm. I don't know Dinsdale well at all - did you check the estate agent link relating to suburb profiles I put on the Wiki? It may have some info on there. To be honest, we rented in Glenview initially because it was simple to get to the hospital from, enjoyed it here so decided to buy here without really looking much further than Deanwell, Fiztroy, Melville - the surrounding suburbs.

Thanks for your time and quick reply karonious ill get the wife to look into it a bit more
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:11 pm
conquering the world!

Originally Posted by Cram
Thanks for your time and quick reply karonious ill get the wife to look into it a bit more
I finished work at 11.30 pm and I'm passing time waiting for the electric blanket to heat
Like Supadolphin said, Hamilton seems to be underated. We have enjoyed our time here so far. Like everywhere, there are bound to be things that really piss you off now and again but now and again is not an insurmountable problem is it?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:15 pm
conquering the world!

Ha!
I knew it was there somewhere!
Steve started this one when we were new to the forum - I haven't re-read it but there may be something useful in it
Karen B

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=hamilton
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Eternalkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Dinsdale is one of the more established 'popular' areas on the west side of the city, possibly a bit like Chedworth Park and Chartwell on the eastside of the river.
Generally homes are average to large size, though on average to small sections. Many homes are on a hill which provide some nice views.

Shawn
Old Aug 4th 2007, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

tessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nice

hi all
sitting here in UK (cambridge) in 30 degrees of heat can anyone tell me what a typical days weather would be in Hamilton in winter and summer??
hubby has heard it is 'damp' and has visions of water dripping off the ceiling all the year round!! (i just have very curly hair so have my own concerns as other curly girls will understand )
Old Aug 4th 2007, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Eternalkiwi
Dinsdale is one of the more established 'popular' areas on the west side of the city, possibly a bit like Chedworth Park and Chartwell on the eastside of the river.
Generally homes are average to large size, though on average to small sections. Many homes are on a hill which provide some nice views.

Shawn
Thanks for That
Old Aug 4th 2007, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Eternalkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tessa,

Sorry cant help with the weather comparison to Cambridge.

Though not all parts of Hamilton are damp. And (unlike Wellington) the damp tends to be outside and not inside.

Hamiltons damp reputation is linked to the amount of fog the city sometimes gets in Winter. Some parts of Hamilton tend to have more fog (e.g. Hillcrest)

In the many years I have lived in Hamilton, I have not experienced any dripping ceilings due to dampness.

Shawn
Old Aug 5th 2007, 7:13 am
Just Joined

tessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nice

thank-you shawn