Hamilton

Old Oct 1st 2008, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire- soon to be New Plymouth (December 2008)
jill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant future
Default Hamilton

Hi

The OH looks like he is going to be offered a job in Hamilton and it was suggested that we could either live here or perhaps South Auckland. Having already had several responses regarding south Auckland (mostly negative) I am now after any information regarding Hamilton and what it is like to live there, best areas and shopping etc

Thanks in advance

Jill
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hamilton

Originally Posted by jill stanton
Hi

The OH looks like he is going to be offered a job in Hamilton and it was suggested that we could either live here or perhaps South Auckland. Having already had several responses regarding south Auckland (mostly negative) I am now after any information regarding Hamilton and what it is like to live there, best areas and shopping etc

Thanks in advance

Jill
don't worry.

It's a Very Nice place to live!

If I am offered a job there, I would no doubt pack my bags and leave Extraordinary Windy & Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing Welly

Cheers

Last edited by crap coffee; Oct 1st 2008 at 10:26 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Hamilton is lovely. Shopping is not great by UK standards but there are 3 good shopping areas, including a Dressmart outlet centre.

There is some crime but it is not South Auckland and nowhere is perfect. The most desirable areas depend on what you want out of life, whether you've got children, etc. The traffic is not bad by UK standards either.

There's plenty going on and its quite easy to get to other places when necessary. There are several expats here and we are happy to help when we can.

Good luck
Alison
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire- soon to be New Plymouth (December 2008)
jill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant future

Thanks Alison,

We dont have any children, though we do have a 12yr old cat (my baby, sad I know).

What areas would you recommend, especially for rentals. I ideally wouldnt want to be out in the middle of nowhere and public transport would be a must as I am not a confident driver. Would there be job opportunities for someone that does office administration.

Jill
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Jill

I think there would be plenty of rentals as renting is more common here. The buses are quite good. I live quite near the Uni so there are lots of rentals and buses but there are downsides to living near all those students! You might try the Chartwell area which has good shops as well as a regular bus route. For details of bus routes look at:

http://www.ew.govt.nz/Regional-servi...milton-routes/

I think there should be lots of admin jobs, either in the city centre or the Te Rapa industrial estates.

If you do decide to come here and need more help, PM me as I don't come on Expats as often as I did.

Best wishes
Alison
Old Oct 4th 2008, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I'd think travelling from South Auckland to Hamilton every day is far too long a drive.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:19 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Hamilton treating us just fine.... not sure this would be where we stay for the rest of our days but for now it suits. We live 25 mins North of the city in a more rural location and are unlikely to tire of our view for a few years.

I have met some really nice people from this site (hi Alison/Tracey), and have had a lot of support from many others, but also don't come on very often so pm if you want specific advice or a cuppa when you land!

T