Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Half a million dollars. . . . REALLY !!

Half a million dollars. . . . REALLY !!

Old Sep 6th 2016, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Cryoslider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Half a million dollars. . . . REALLY !!

I'm moving to South Auckland next March with my Kiwi wife and baby boy, she has family all around Auckland but we will be based near her sister in Red Hill Papakura. We will rent first then look to buy after a year to 18 months if all works well..... Hoping the housing market will slow down or even stop so we are not priced out but will probably buy further south in the end.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cryoslider
I'm moving to South Auckland next March with my Kiwi wife and baby boy, she has family all around Auckland but we will be based near her sister in Red Hill Papakura. We will rent first then look to buy after a year to 18 months if all works well..... Hoping the housing market will slow down or even stop so we are not priced out but will probably buy further south in the end.
no sigh of that, the average Auckland price rose today to $1 million...
Old Sep 6th 2016, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
no sigh of that, the average Auckland price rose today to $1 million...
And IT salaries have dropped by 2.5% in Auckland. I suppose salaries in retail have gone up again, so the 1 million makes sense.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:44 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Half a million dollars. . . . REALLY !!

The closer rates get to 0% the less the numbers matter really.

Basically the Reserve Bank targets CPI inflation which excludes the price of land and existing dwellings. If those things had been factored in CPI inflation would likely be within the CPI inflation target band but it's probably a bit late in the housing cycle to change the measures. Could have been added about 8 years ago but we opted not to.

Debt-to-Income ratios should be interesting, median household income is approx. $76,500 in Auckland. The UK capped loans at 4.5x income, apply the same here for buyers with a 20% deposit and they could afford a house of perhaps $413,000. Median house price in Auckland is approx. $1m so the debt to income ratio to afford the average house will need to be over 10x even if they introduced the cap today.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

I've just watched an episode of Wanted Down Under, they've started showing it on UKTV. I've noticed they have taken the families to New Plymouth and Christchurch in the 2 episodes I've watched so far - they always used to take them to Auckland. I guess property prices are meaning it's not a viable option for most people on the show.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
The closer rates get to 0% the less the numbers matter really.

Basically the Reserve Bank targets CPI inflation which excludes the price of land and existing dwellings. If those things had been factored in CPI inflation would likely be within the CPI inflation target band but it's probably a bit late in the housing cycle to change the measures. Could have been added about 8 years ago but we opted not to.

Debt-to-Income ratios should be interesting, median household income is approx. $76,500 in Auckland. The UK capped loans at 4.5x income, apply the same here for buyers with a 20% deposit and they could afford a house of perhaps $413,000. Median house price in Auckland is approx. $1m so the debt to income ratio to afford the average house will need to be over 10x even if they introduced the cap today.
Yeah, quiet ridiculous isn't it.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 11:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
I've just watched an episode of Wanted Down Under, they've started showing it on UKTV. I've noticed they have taken the families to New Plymouth and Christchurch in the 2 episodes I've watched so far - they always used to take them to Auckland. I guess property prices are meaning it's not a viable option for most people on the show.
I've seen a couple from Auckland and one in New Plymouth and was slightly aghast at the prices. Turns out that they were filmed in 2008 and broadcast in 2009. No wonder Auckland looked quite reasonable.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I've seen a couple from Auckland and one in New Plymouth and was slightly aghast at the prices. Turns out that they were filmed in 2008 and broadcast in 2009. No wonder Auckland looked quite reasonable.
Yeah, I was wrong about them being new episodes - I realised when I watched another episode last night and they were talking about buying a character villa in Ponsonby for £300K 😀
Old Sep 8th 2016, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

That looks more like a mobile home you get in seaside caravan parks for a lot less than that.

Luxury Lodges & Park Homes

You can, of course, find them a lot cheaper.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
That looks more like a mobile home you get in seaside caravan parks for a lot less than that.
Thats exactly what I think when I see them
Old Sep 10th 2016, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat

Luxury Lodges & Park Homes

You can, of course, find them a lot cheaper.
Maybe that's the way to go, just burn that house down and plonk a couple of static caravans on it from the UK. Rent them out and Bob's your Uncle.