Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Gyms in Palmerston North/duathlon/triathlon clubs/info

Gyms in Palmerston North/duathlon/triathlon clubs/info

Old May 31st 2012, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

jjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nice
Smile Gyms in Palmerston North/duathlon/triathlon clubs/info

Hi all
I used to be a keen gymmer, but baby and work commitments have cut it off completely for the last 18 months or so.
I'll be arriving in Palmy mid July and are keen to either join a gym or start training for a tri/duathlon. Will be starting from scratch as no longer fit
Why do I have this sinking feeling this is going to hurt????

Any ideas/info welcome.
Old May 31st 2012, 7:16 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gyms in Palmerston North/duathlon/triathlon clubs/info

there are quite a few gyms in Palmy, but they're not the sort of places I frequent
Old May 31st 2012, 8:19 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjsebba
Hi all
I used to be a keen gymmer, but baby and work commitments have cut it off completely for the last 18 months or so.
I'll be arriving in Palmy mid July and are keen to either join a gym or start training for a tri/duathlon. Will be starting from scratch as no longer fit

Any ideas/info welcome.
Theres gyms everwhere we have about 4 in Wanganui far more than i had in my town in England, so you will have no problem lots of fit people here aswell as fat slobs

ive never been so fit as i have in my life now living in New Zealand! probably becauae not much else to do
Old May 31st 2012, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Any ideas/info welcome.
Loads of gyms in Palmy..tons of them!!! Loads of clubby type stuff going on too.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:46 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
lots of fit people here aswell as fat slobs
Oi - Who you calling a slob

(you see- I missed out the fat bit - that's the joke
Have to explain it, she's from Wanga Vagas
)
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:46 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I used to do British Military Fitness in Britain, in Guildford in fact. We've done some 5km's and some 10km runs. Our fitness all but disappeared for a year whilst we went from one debacle to the next last year trying to find a place to settle in NZ.

Anyway, now we're in Wangas we go to an aerobics class at Club Fitness Gym and very good the class and the gym is too. Well, it suits us. We've traded class for casual use of the treadmills at the same gym as we are training for a 10km run later in June.

We are also hoping to do the Tough Guy and Gal Challenge - off road running event at Linton Military camp near Palmerston North on Saturday 21st July. It's 6km across their assault course, double the course for double the distance and double the fun Fancy it ?

Just start small and build up. My husband and I were quite downhearted how far back our fitness had gone, plus the expanded waistline that accompanied it ! My point was, well, at least we have found the start point. We would not have even found how far back the starting point of our fitness was whilst sitting on the sofa bemoaning our fitness whilst guzzling wine and a takeaway !!

For the record, we did 10.5km for our 10km training schedule on the treadmills at the gym last night. I use a schedule that was personally written for me and it's worked in the past, so I drag it out each time. It gets us past 10km by 500m so we will be confident that we can confidently do 10km on race day. Next week is the hard work week, then taper starts.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jun 1st 2012 at 12:57 am.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:48 am
Who loves you, baby?

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
Fancy it ?
err, NO
Old Jun 1st 2012, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
My husband and I used to do British Military Fitness in Britain, in Guildford in fact. We've done some 5km's and some 10km runs. Our fitness all but disappeared for a year whilst we went from one debacle to the next last year trying to find a place to settle in NZ.

Anyway, now we're in Wangas we go to an aerobics class at Club Fitness Gym and very good the class and the gym is too. Well, it suits us. We've traded class for casual use of the treadmills at the same gym as we are training for a 10km run later in June.

We are also hoping to do the Tough Guy and Gal Challenge - off road running event at Linton Military camp near Palmerston North on Saturday 21st July. It's 6km across their assault course, double the course for double the distance and double the fun Fancy it ?

Just start small and build up. My husband and I were quite downhearted how far back our fitness had gone, plus the expanded waistline that accompanied it ! My point was, well, at least we have found the start point. We would not have even found how far back the starting point of our fitness was whilst sitting on the sofa bemoaning our fitness whilst guzzling wine and a takeaway !!

For the record, we did 10.5km for our 10km training schedule on the treadmills at the gym last night. I use a schedule that was personally written for me and it's worked in the past, so I drag it out each time. It gets us past 10km by 500m so we will be confident that we can confidently do 10km on race day. Next week is the hard work week, then taper starts.
Sod that!!!! i oinly go to the gym and run to keep the fat off me as i like food
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
Oi - Who you calling a slob

(you see- I missed out the fat bit - that's the joke
Have to explain it, she's from Wanga Vagas
)
Hey im from Essex not wanga vegas?? that dont make any difference though does it

im surprised at some people who do alot of fitness but look like they sit on the sofa all the time
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

jjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nice

love30stm - i believe if people are going to the gym but still look like they are sofa surfers, they're not doing it right! You should see results if you do the right things at the gym with the right amount of effort!
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:39 am

love30stm - i believe if people are going to the gym but still look like they are sofa surfers, they're not doing it right! You should see results if you do the right things at the gym with the right amount of effort!
Agree I think they must just eat way too much
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I see some right heffalumps, who I feel really didn't ought to be allowed out in public dressed in Lycra doing the power walk thing. But they will insist and I wonder sometimes who they are trying to kid, they must be stopping for the all you can eat smorgasbord or takeaways on the way home.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I'm more inspired by the heffalumps in lycra than I am the svelte ones.
I am definitely one of the heifers. I proudly wear lycra and don't give a horse's arse what people think of my flab.

But I drifted off topic. I do that.
Good luck with the training
I just joined Les Mills but there isn't one in Palmy, unfortunately.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

I love the Les Mills way, but have noticed there isn't on in Palmy...Oh the disappointment!
There are a few rip-off type classes anyway, so I might be saved from my Body Combat withdrawl symptoms!

Originally Posted by pricklykina
I'm more inspired by the heffalumps in lycra than I am the svelte ones.
I am definitely one of the heifers. I proudly wear lycra and don't give a horse's arse what people think of my flab.

But I drifted off topic. I do that.
Good luck with the training
I just joined Les Mills but there isn't one in Palmy, unfortunately.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't stop my obsessive googling and found this...
Les Mills group exercise classes at Massey University
Looks like they have community membership - so you can keep on with your roundhouse and uppercuts to your heart's content

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.