Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Gulf Harbour - Your thoughts please

Gulf Harbour - Your thoughts please

Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

CLAIRE-SMART is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gulf Harbour - Your thoughts please

Hi everyone - our Visas are through now and just about sold the house! We are looking to come out late April.

We havent previously considered residing in the Gulf Harbour region. We have 2 daughters aged 14 and 10.

Would love some feedback and thoughts on the area in relation to whether it is a family community, good schools and a realistic journey time from there to Central Auckland.

Any help or info would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 11:55 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gulf Harbour - Your thoughts please

We are moving to Arkles Bay on the peninsular in 2 weeks and we are sooo looking forward to it. In general the peninsular has a good reputation as an area, for schools and as a good family place to live. Some of the housing quality is umm "interesting" so beware when you look for rental/buying.

Gulf Harbour has 2 main routes to Auckland CBD, either road via a combination of the Northern Motorway and East Coast Road (Park & Ride at Albany is a variant) and over the harbour bridge - or via ferry from GH straight into the Ferry Building in Auckland. It is commutable into the CBD via either route but timing will depend on the time of day you need to travel and what is acceptable to you.

Arkles/Stanmore is 30mins drive from the CBD with no traffic delays, double or worse at peak rush hour. Ferry takes about an hour IIRC.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of

Hi Claire

We have been up in the Gulf Harbour area for 8mths now and are in the process of buying a house here. There are two ferries into Auckland which take 50mins. The schedule is mon - fri 07.00hrs & 07.30hrs. return ferries are 16.40 and 17.30hrs. which is great if you are working business hours.
I work at Auckland hospital and drive in every morning.Takes me 45mins however I do leave home at 05.30.
We seem to have our own micro climate up here eg it can be raining in Auckland but wonderful sunshine in gulf harbour. Older houses tend to have water tanks but the newer modern houses around gulf harbour are on town water some even have town gas. We are close to shakespeare park and the beaches where we spent a fantastic xmas day with the friends we have met. There are quite few expats living in and around this area and the pacific bar by the mariner has a quiz every wednesday run by Debbie and Frannie who make everyone very welcome. Not sure about the schools as we don't have children.
We love it up here on the pennisula especially at weekends when the city seems a million miles away. PM if you need any further info. All the best
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:52 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CLAIRE-SMART
Hi everyone - our Visas are through now and just about sold the house! We are looking to come out late April.

We havent previously considered residing in the Gulf Harbour region. We have 2 daughters aged 14 and 10.

Would love some feedback and thoughts on the area in relation to whether it is a family community, good schools and a realistic journey time from there to Central Auckland.

Cheers.
Getting on and off the Peninsula in rush hour is a nightmare, as is travelling to CBD in rush hour. The traffic stops at Albany and is nose to tail crawling all the way to the bridge. The ferry or Albany park and ride are the best bet. There is going to be a Silverdale park and ride built soon. Schools for a 14 year old are Whangaparaoa College, Orewa College or Wentworth College (fee paying). For a 10 year old, you have Gulf Harbour (upto 12 yr) then onto the College's.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

CLAIRE-SMART is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your info - its much appreciated.

Looks like we will be flying out on 17 April to start our new life in New Zealand. Its soooo scary and exciting at the same time.

All the best

Claire x
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Claire,

We've lived in GH for over 4 years now & love living here. We have made lots of friends (which helps the settling-in process). We haven't got any kids but have friends that do. They are happy with the progress their kids are making at Whangaparaoa College. Orewa college is full & now only taking people from the catchment area. I only know this as I was chatting to the vice-principal last week!

OH works in the CBD & either takes the ferry in or drives in. He has a designated parking space at work which makes it easier. He usually leaves just before 6am & it takes him approx 40mins. Ferry time is as Ragdolls2 states. I know quite a few of my friends take the bus in & I can ask them about the time it takes.

There are a couple of places to avoid living in GH ie. Oyster Cove or as it's known locally 'Moisture Cove' due to the leaky buildings & Midshipman due to the less than desirable folk .

Shakespear regional park is fabulous & we too spent Xmas day there with friends (Ragdolls were you in the same group as us with Debbie & Franny, Pete & Karen, Niccy & Ron etc??????).

We have bought kayaks & 'set sail' from a number of beaches on the peninsula. Our nearest is Fisherman's Cove, which we can walk to with our kayaks. Most of the beaches are very safe & shelve gently into the sea.

GH has a few shops & bars. It has 2 golf courses Whangaparaoa & GH Country Club. The 'town centre' needs a bit of money spending on it as it has gone down hill in the past couple of years, which is a shame.

Good luck with your plans & if you need more info give me a PM.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Can you take a bike onto the ferry. I will be living in Whangaparaoa come April and will most likely be working in the CBD.
A bike to the ferry port and then from ferry port to work would be tops!

How much is the ferry? return?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
Can you take a bike onto the ferry. I will be living in Whangaparaoa come April and will most likely be working in the CBD.
A bike to the ferry port and then from ferry port to work would be tops!

How much is the ferry? return?
I think you can. I know one of my friends used to. You can find out more from http://www.360discovery.co.nz. Prices & timetables can be found under commuters
Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:22 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CLAIRE-SMART

Cheers.
I'd live further back than Gulf Harbour, somewhere like Red Beach. Don't buy a place that faces the golf course, a friend of mine had a lot of damage from balls and problems with noise and smell (early morning grass cutters & spray chemicals)
Old Feb 18th 2011, 4:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
I'd live further back than Gulf Harbour, somewhere like Red Beach. Don't buy a place that faces the golf course, a friend of mine had a lot of damage from balls and problems with noise and smell (early morning grass cutters & spray chemicals)
We face both golf courses & don't have any problems but we are the other side of the lake. Had & have friends who live next to Whangaparaoa golf course & the only problem they had was with an aggressive magpie!!! The golfers etc. never caused any problems.

Personally I wouldn't want to live in a house backing onto a golf course but others are quite happy with it.

There are lots of nice places along the Peninsula though, Red Beach, Stanmore Bay, Manly to name but a few.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Is it me or is the ferry a little pricey?
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of

not really when you compare it to th price of petrol nearly $2.00 a liter plus wear and tear on the car.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:21 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
Is it me or is the ferry a little pricey?
Sit in the traffic for a week, pay petrol and parking and you may find a daily cruise up and down the coast quite appealling
Old Feb 19th 2011, 5:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by simonsi
Sit in the traffic for a week, pay petrol and parking and you may find a daily cruise up and down the coast quite appealling
You can snooze on the way there & back. Have a beer on the way home. Prepare for a meeting. Watch the dolphins. Read a book. Put your make-up on . Petrol $202.9/l today!!!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 7:49 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
You can...Put your make-up on
Have we met?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.