Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Greetings fellow escapees!

Greetings fellow escapees!

Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Greetings fellow escapees!

People people, it's not a prison sentence, stop putting yourselves under so much pressure if you get here and don't like it you can go back. You should be proud of yourselves for being willing to get up and go, give it a try. If it taught us one thing it was that we always have options - choices. I gave up a job with the shitty, could say I mean City but no definitely shitty Council, 18 years service which I would never of done if I had stayed in the UK and now I realise there is life elsewhere.
Just enjoy!
Deb
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phil01
People people, it's not a prison sentence, stop putting yourselves under so much pressure if you get here and don't like it you can go back. You should be proud of yourselves for being willing to get up and go, give it a try. If it taught us one thing it was that we always have options - choices. I gave up a job with the shitty, could say I mean City but no definitely shitty Council, 18 years service which I would never of done if I had stayed in the UK and now I realise there is life elsewhere.
Just enjoy!
Deb
Thanks for that, just what I need to hear!
Yep we are planning on taking dog with us, well I am OH is recovering from shock of being told how much it might cost. Am still sussing out what life is like for doggies, want to know we can take her to lots of places otherwise we might have to find her a new home in the UK which would break my daughter's heart but we'll cross that one later.
We like the look of Hawkes Bay area, not sure about house prices though, looks less value for money than South Island but as you say, better weather, is there alot of difference between the two islands or is it more of west coast v east coast thing as far as weather is concerned.
Cathy - I don't envy you trying to sell two houses at once, one is more than enough of a nightmare, we have moved quite alot over the years, its always stressful. At least you can have a very through de cluttering without feeling guilty about throwing away the unwanted gifts from in laws that I've been collecting for the last 14 years
Sammy
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't I get rid of the doggy pic at the bottom of my messages? It keeps popping up all over the place now!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Thanks for that, just what I need to hear!
Yep we are planning on taking dog with us, well I am OH is recovering from shock of being told how much it might cost. Am still sussing out what life is like for doggies, want to know we can take her to lots of places otherwise we might have to find her a new home in the UK which would break my daughter's heart but we'll cross that one later.
We like the look of Hawkes Bay area, not sure about house prices though, looks less value for money than South Island but as you say, better weather, is there alot of difference between the two islands or is it more of west coast v east coast thing as far as weather is concerned.
Cathy - I don't envy you trying to sell two houses at once, one is more than enough of a nightmare, we have moved quite alot over the years, its always stressful. At least you can have a very through de cluttering without feeling guilty about throwing away the unwanted gifts from in laws that I've been collecting for the last 14 years
Sammy
There is a lot of difference weather wise...Hawkes Bay, Gisborne gets good weather, but very wet on SI, quite a bit cooler and you get the snow!

Doggies, we have one, can't take them on the beach during the summer from 10 to 4 but if you find a deserted little place it's not a problem...our baby boxer goes everywhere with us.
Debbie
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah, cute baby boxer, how old? Ours is 9 months old, can't bear thought of leaving her behind even though she's a damned nuisance in the garden and likes to dig up everything.
Don't mind snow, don't mind the cold if it is sunny, hate the rain!
Sammy
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah, cute baby boxer, how old? Ours is 9 months old, can't bear thought of leaving her behind even though she's a damned nuisance in the garden and likes to dig up everything.
Don't mind snow, don't mind the cold if it is sunny, hate the rain!
Sammy
TJ (Tyson Junior) is almost 6 months old now and absolutely wonderful, total cutey loves the beach running in the surf we got him here. Bringing dogs out isn't a problem it's costly from what I gather but we don't really have a problem with taking our pooch out and about....ooooh rain...a plenty in the whole of NZ...soz!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:54 pm
must be a mid-life crisis

cathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nicecathynclive is just really nice

Go for North Island Hawkes Bay is a beautiful area, South Island is fab but weather not so good.

We came on a temp visa 3years and we took apps in to London on the Monday and got the visas on Friday.
Deb
Cheers for that Deb, we're ploughing through the EOI at the mo. Clive's employers in NZ said that the visas shouldn't take too long so it's reassuring to hear that yours came through so quickly.

I think that I must be incredibly thick as i'm really struggling with some of the questions - oh well, I suppose if it's wrong it'll come back again...and again!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:32 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I could just write myself a worry list and then perhaps hide it away in the back of wardrobe and pretend it doen't exist!
I am feeling a bit down today after reading some old threads on here about people hating NZ, does make you worry, we are going out for a visit but you don't know how you are going to feel until you have lived somewhere for a while.
Still not everyone feels that way otherwise there would no one left in NZ other than the many sheep
Most important: don't worry about what other people say. By all means, take onboard their concerns and appeciate that they are real to the poster.
BUT:
do the really happy posts make you forget all your worries and think this is the land of milk and honey? Of course not!
We have all had different experences here. For me and my family it has been a very positive move. For others, sadly NZ has not lived up to their expectations.
Hopefully, this will be what you want it to be: do your homework, use the internet for your research and PM people on this site to gain a greater understanding of where they are coming from.
I wish you all the joy in your life that we have found in our move here - feel free to PM me if you feel the need.
Karen B
Old Mar 14th 2007, 1:24 pm
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

There is a lot of difference weather wise...Hawkes Bay, Gisborne gets good weather, but very wet on SI, quite a bit cooler and you get the snow!

Doggies, we have one, can't take them on the beach during the summer from 10 to 4 but if you find a deserted little place it's not a problem...our baby boxer goes everywhere with us.
Debbie
this has brightened my day... i am planning to move over to either Tauranga or Rotorua in september along with my 2 doggies & have been getting steadily disheartened by listings on the internet of places i cant take them for walks.....list seems to grow! i would love to go on the beach with them for runs etc...have you encountered any problems? do you need a special permit to excercise them ?
Old Mar 14th 2007, 3:37 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Oops I'm a bit late, but welcome to the site, Sammy!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karen B and Maz

Thanks very much and nice to meet you!

Sammy