Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Greetings to all from rainy ole England

Greetings to all from rainy ole England

Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Wandering Star is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Greetings to all from rainy ole England

This is my first post on this Forum so I say a big hearty hello to each and everyone of you.

Hubby and I are in the gathering up info stage before our BIG life changing move. Already our brains feel fried trying to reel in all this information.

Where do we move to?

1) Australia? Par, we're over 45, (we're 47) and the initial assessment said, don't bother!

2) New Zealand? My dream place since childhood. But reading over some of these threads, I am concerned about the finances. Don't fancy a, out of the frying pan, into the fire, situation. We don't want a, can we only just survive move, we want a, we can live OK without worry, type move.
Hubby is in Civil Engineering and has seen jobs paying $90,000. Is that survivable on with 4 kids aged 16, 14, 12 and 9. I didn't want to work if I didn't have too.

3) Canada? Entry points are 67, ours were 81 without a job offer. Don't know much about Canada but would consider Toronto area. What are the prospects like there. Is it expensive?

So much to weigh up. There must be some country out there in that big wide world who would take this quirky family to their bossom breast.

Any offers of help or tips will not go unthanked.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:50 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greetings to all from rainy ole England

Just want to say hi and welcome to the forum
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:52 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you with whatever you decide. I am in NZ with four kids and we are doing ok. It is a lovely place and we are very happy here. Kids love it and have never asked to go 'home'.
Make sure you do all the research for wherever you chose, even the bad comments need to be heard.
Good Luck

Sue
Old Mar 30th 2006, 10:52 pm
livewire

Hi there and welcome.

That sort of salary isn't bad but it really depends on how much of it you spend on a mortgage every month. The areas where the well paid jobs are also seem to be the places where the housing is more expensive.

CE firms sometimes increase your salary after 6/12 months if you are performing well, so that may just be a starting salary. If it's for a company in Auckland that is probably about what a newcomer should be looking for anyway and I'd say that should be the starting point for most professional people in this line of work with a good few years experience under their belts.

Older kids are always much more expensive but they are able to earn some money of their own and this should take some pressure off the family finances. The incidentals for school uniforms, stationery, donations and subject fees can get a bit much right at the start of the year, straight after Christmas.

We were thinking about Canada too but struck lucky with NZ straight off.

Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wandering Star
This is my first post on this Forum so I say a big hearty hello to each and everyone of you.

Hubby and I are in the gathering up info stage before our BIG life changing move. Already our brains feel fried trying to reel in all this information.

Where do we move to?

1) Australia? Par, we're over 45, (we're 47) and the initial assessment said, don't bother!

2) New Zealand? My dream place since childhood. But reading over some of these threads, I am concerned about the finances. Don't fancy a, out of the frying pan, into the fire, situation. We don't want a, can we only just survive move, we want a, we can live OK without worry, type move.
Hubby is in Civil Engineering and has seen jobs paying $90,000. Is that survivable on with 4 kids aged 16, 14, 12 and 9. I didn't want to work if I didn't have too.

3) Canada? Entry points are 67, ours were 81 without a job offer. Don't know much about Canada but would consider Toronto area. What are the prospects like there. Is it expensive?

So much to weigh up. There must be some country out there in that big wide world who would take this quirky family to their bossom breast.

Hi and welcome.
90k is a pretty good salary, and a lot of companies will have bonus schemes to offer on top of that if you perfomr well and get into a senior posistion.
You will struggle to get much better than that starting in a new job and new country, in NZ anyways.

As to whether it is enough that really depends on your individual lifestyle. Do you have a lump sum to bring across and put towards a house. If you have a small / no mortgage you should be pretty comfortable.

On that type of salary you are looking at about $1200 per week, if you want to start making some sums regarding budgets etc. keep records of your grocery receipts and check out what the same basket of things would have cost in NZ, on foodtown.co.nz for instance.

Civl engineers are in short supply, you should be able to get a job offer reasonable easily.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

You should read the Canada forum. Going there may take you three years. You could be in NZ in seven months.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 2:56 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum
90K will be a lot more than most people on this forum earn. We've been here for 6 months on a lot less than that and no problems at all.
You'll be fine.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Biddy
Hi and welcome to the forum
90K will be a lot more than most people on this forum earn. We've been here for 6 months on a lot less than that and no problems at all.
You'll be fine.

wow 90k thats a very good wage compared to some expats who are doing ok
on that money you should be fine
Old Mar 31st 2006, 5:48 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Where do we move to?

Canada is way too cold in winter and most of OZ is far too hot in summer.

I live in OZ but as soon as I finish my studies will move to Tassie (cooler climate), NZ or UK. I'd give NZ ago if I were you. Once you have NZ citizenship you can live and work in OZ anyway (no points to worry about). Besides, Kiwis are a much friendlier bunch
Old Mar 31st 2006, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

90k a good wage?

I should say so!

Blimey if you have a nice deposit for a house and cash to buy a car you are almost home and dry.

Wish I earn 90k, not even near it, but then again I am a lazy sod who likes and enjoys working part time………

By the way, it does rain a lot in NZ as well, but can’t say we’ve had a lot in the last 4 months.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Thank you, thank you, thank you to ALL of you. I can't tell you how much better your replies have made me feel.

My gut instincts tell me NZ and I have moments of sheer determination that this is right for us , followed by moments of the colley wobbles.

Lots, lots more questions to follow, so watch this space. Gotta go, gotta play taxi service now to the eldest son.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:33 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

My gut instincts tell me NZ and I have moments of sheer determination that this is right for us , followed by moments of the colley wobbles.
Gut instincts can be more reliable than thinking at times. Up and moving country is a big step to take for anyone but even more so if they have a partner and kids to consider.

Like I said once you have NZ citizenship you can live and work in OZ if you really want to. $90,000 a year is more than many couples who are both working get in NZ. So yes it is a very good salary but I imagine that reflects the demand for someone with your husband's qualifications and experience.

You will be fine.You should even be able to afford a trip back to the UK now and then
Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
but then again I am a lazy sod who likes and enjoys working part time………
and shagging the rest of the time !!!
Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Greetings to all from rainy ole England

'tis true..........I have an "ahem" very active life..............in fact I am in my dressing gown as we speak................errrrrrrrr............probabl y more than enough said!

Try not to visulise!

Last edited by Nice Guy; Mar 31st 2006 at 11:17 am. Reason: typo (have had a few beers and some se.........)
Old Mar 31st 2006, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

As you know, there is hubby and I and our 4 kids looking to come over BUT we also have my elderly mum who lives with us - we come as a job lot!

Does anyone know how we go about getting her visa or will she be considered as a dependent on us, like the chidren are to us? She is 81yrs and fit and well.

I hope this is not a blot on the landscape......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.