Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Graphic Designers looking for work in New Zealand please!

Graphic Designers looking for work in New Zealand please!

Old Apr 16th 2009, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

kelso74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Graphic Designers looking for work in New Zealand please!

Hi All,
This is my first post so apologies if I bang on a little! The husband and myself are seriously considering moving to NZ but just putting the 'feelers' out at the moment to see if there are graphic design vacancies. Ideally, we could do with some feed-back on the graphic design industry in NZ. Having Googled some of the design agencies, we are still unsure as to the levels or standards of these business. We're not sure if these agencies are the best NZ has to offer or whether they are small companies or freelance designers, as non of the websites give us any ideas on staff numbers, client profiles, annual turnover etc.
Because of the line of work we are in, we are considering going through an agency. A friend of ours is heading out to NZ next month, but she is trying to talk us out of it, and we have found the agency fees are silly amounts of money! One agency wanted to charge us £7k.
Having considered NZ, would there be better opportunity for us in Australia??
If anyone or fellow graphic designers can help, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Di xXx
Old Apr 16th 2009, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Graphic Designers looking for work in New Zealand please!

Originally Posted by kelso74
Hi All,
This is my first post so apologies if I bang on a little! The husband and myself are seriously considering moving to NZ but just putting the 'feelers' out at the moment to see if there are graphic design vacancies. Ideally, we could do with some feed-back on the graphic design industry in NZ. Having Googled some of the design agencies, we are still unsure as to the levels or standards of these business. We're not sure if these agencies are the best NZ has to offer or whether they are small companies or freelance designers, as non of the websites give us any ideas on staff numbers, client profiles, annual turnover etc.
Because of the line of work we are in, we are considering going through an agency. A friend of ours is heading out to NZ next month, but she is trying to talk us out of it, and we have found the agency fees are silly amounts of money! One agency wanted to charge us £7k.
Thanks, Di xXx
Sorry cant help you on that front!! just thought i'd say hello!! Curious though as to why your friend is heading out and trying to talk you out of it!! good luck
Old Apr 16th 2009, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Hi! My friend is talking me out of using one of the immigration agencies, she's deffo not talking me out of leaving the UK! We've found the agencies are very expensive.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
Thanks, Di xXx
HI unable to help you with standards on graphic design but we do have lots of freelance designers would it help if I sent you some agencies names? as for annual turnover that could well be hard to find out but I may well be able to ask a friend to find out more.

IS your friend trying to talk you out of coming to NZ? or using an Agency?

IF its the agency that is a lot of money and do they get you the job? and do all the paper work for you? as the paper work you can do it yourself you will get lots of help from this site.

If I was looking to pay that sort on money out I would use it iinstead to come over to NZ have a look around (lots us us never had that chance) and stop off for a few days in AUS this would give you a much better opportunity.
Lin
Old Apr 17th 2009, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Graphic Designers looking for work in New Zealand please!

Hi, if you could send me some agency names, that would be of great help to us and much appreciated! We do do some freelance work here in the uk, but not enough for one of us to do it full time.
My friend is talking me out of going through an immigration agency. We visited one of the Expo Shows a couple of weeks ago and got talking to two agencies. The cheapest fee were £4k - this service included sorting all of our paper work, setting up bank accounts, accomodation and helping us find work. All of these agencies have a recruitment service, but all of them have said it would help to look for work on our own too - I would be very annoyed if we found work on our own, but still had to pay the agency fee! I think that's our biggest hurdle, finding the work, as I can imagine it is for a lot of people.
90% of the jobs we have seen are either medical, teaching or skilled labor work, we haven't come across anything in the creative/design industry - this is why we think going through an agency may be of benefit to us, as we just don't know where to start looking.
Anyway, I stop with the moaning...for now! Thanks for your reply xXx
Old Apr 18th 2009, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
Thanks, Di xXx
Hi there, not sure if you're into web based graphic design but check out Webstock Wellington.
Began 2006 a great year! Last one was Feb 2009.

design, development, user experience, web standards, content, community, innovation and inspiration

http://www.webstock.org.nz/
Lots of opportunity for 'networking' and seeing what's in etc and meeting who's who in the web design industry.
Good luck
Jennie
Old Apr 18th 2009, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi Jennie,

Thanks for that. The hubby's the web guru, so we'll check that link out x