Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

got xray and medical booked, rip off!!!!

got xray and medical booked, rip off!!!!

Old Jul 2nd 2005, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

davepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura about
Default got xray and medical booked, rip off!!!!

have booked my xray and medical and can say its a complete rip off. xray cost 75GBP

medical 120GBP

then 30GBP per blood test,

well the british medical association state a medical costs 39GBP so there is the first rip off, also i could get any of my work mates t take my bloods before i go to the medical but the medical centre will not accept this, some comment from the recptionist saying it might not be my blood, well offered to takeit in front of her but she said she couldnt possibly do that.

then ive got the gonad grope to look forward to, christ i could tell them if i had any tenderness down there i touch it enough

just a moan really, wonder why everything in the UK cost so much.

the ozzi girls at work took each others bloods, got theyre xrays done by a friendly radiologist and had no problems,

but hey its for a good cause, will feel great and will be forgotten about when i step off the plane in NZ.

Old Jul 3rd 2005, 7:28 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: got xray and medical booked, rip off!!!!

Originally Posted by davepoole
have booked my xray and medical and can say its a complete rip off. xray cost 75GBP

medical 120GBP

well the british medical association state a medical costs 39GBP so there is the first rip off, also i could get any of my work mates t take my bloods before i go to the medical but the medical centre will not accept this, some comment from the recptionist saying it might not be my blood, well offered to takeit in front of her but she said she couldnt possibly do that.

then ive got the gonad grope to look forward to, christ i could tell them if i had any tenderness down there i touch it enough

the ozzi girls at work took each others bloods, got theyre xrays done by a friendly radiologist and had no problems,

but hey its for a good cause, will feel great and will be forgotten about when i step off the plane in NZ.

I didn't get a gonad grope!
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

by the time you've finished the process you'll reach scary figures - best not to think too much about it
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:12 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

medical 120GBP

Hi, don't know where you live, but we've got a Manchester doctor off the panel list for when we're ready to do ours and the prices quoted are:

Medical examination £90 (£45 for children 10 and under)
X-ray £40
Blood tests £20 each

When we rang up we were told to expect a wait of 3 or 4 weeks, it might be worth the trip if you're not too far if it's a family you're paying for.

They're based on St John Street in Deansgate, the number is 0161 834 4122, and the doctor's name, believe it or not, is Dr Million. They do everything in one visit as well.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

A British doctor can walk of the plane into a medical centre in NZ and do the test for a third of the price. We had to drive miles for ours in the UK. And book way in advance too.

Any GP in NZ can do the medicals. We do them all the time. If you're lucky you don't need an appointment too. $95 I think.
Roger
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

davepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sky
I'd just get used to it (being ripped off), soon as you land in NZ it'll start happening on a daily basis!
whys that, why do you say you get ripped off as soon as you land?
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:25 am
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sky
I'd just get used to it (being ripped off), soon as you land in NZ it'll start happening on a daily basis!
What do you mean? Please explain.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Biddy
I didn't get a gonad grope!

lol did you go private, i had to. Dunno what you get if you go bupa premium, might get more than a grope
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 2:13 pm
pompeymike

Originally Posted by sky
Sky, I've deleted your original post, please refrain from posting 'one sentence' comments unless you can substantiate them. People come to this forum for advice on making important decisions in their lives. If you think that people arriving in NZ will be ripped off on a daily basis please give detailed reasons why you think this is so.

Mike

Old Jul 3rd 2005, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pompeymike
Sky, I've deleted your original post, please refrain from posting 'one sentence' comments unless you can substantiate them. People come to this forum for advice on making important decisions in their lives. If you think that people arriving in NZ will be ripped off on a daily basis please give detailed reasons why you think this is so.

Mike

thanks mike although im not one for censorship i totally agree, one line remarks arnt helpful.

on that not i have read on here that some brits are seen as wealthy poms cos of the strength of the pounds, apparently people are believing that some small town shops and post offices rip you of once they here a brit accent, although i tink the scots are let off on that one. mmm might have to develop a scottish accent

anyway i think im more likely to get ripped off in the UK
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:45 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

thanks mike although im not one for censorship i totally agree, one line remarks arnt helpful.

on that not i have read on here that some brits are seen as wealthy poms cos of the strength of the pounds, apparently people are believing that some small town shops and post offices rip you of once they here a brit accent, although i tink the scots are let off on that one. mmm might have to develop a scottish accent

anyway i think im more likely to get ripped off in the UK
Went to bed sorry so didn't see the questions asking me what I meant. Yes your spot on davepoole a lot of kiwis see us as rich naive poms just ripe for the picking. It happens to everyone and you quickly wise up. But when you first arrive you are vunerable so forewarned is forearmed in my mind. Just trying to help fellow migrants thats all, not being funny honestly.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:47 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

And it's not just the small town shops that are after your money believe me.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 12:48 pm
pompeymike

Originally Posted by sky
Went to bed sorry so didn't see the questions asking me what I meant. Yes your spot on davepoole a lot of kiwis see us as rich naive poms just ripe for the picking. It happens to everyone and you quickly wise up. But when you first arrive you are vunerable so forewarned is forearmed in my mind. Just trying to help fellow migrants thats all, not being funny honestly.
I think if you're an obvious tourist then yes, some traders might try to rip you off, it's no different in the UK, London taxi drivers charge foreigners £15 to go 2 blocks down the road, I used to be a Pompey Cabbie and if you picked up an American Sailor from the Dockyard, you'd put the meter straight onto double rate, it's human nature - if you think you can get away with it you do it, Kiwi's are no different. When I first arrived here I got a taxi to go to an interview - about 2 miles - and he heard my pommy accent and decided to give me a tour of the northern suburbs of Christchurch before dropping me at my destination just down the road, charged me $17 for a $5 trip.
If you live here then most of your money is spent in supermarkets and other shops that have got set prices for everything so you're not likely to get ripped off.

Mike

Old Jul 4th 2005, 2:53 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

I'll be okay then, always got tight hold of my purse, full of moths it is!

Anyone had any medicals done in the North East, looks like York might be our nearest approved. Be a nice day out too!
Old Jul 4th 2005, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkle2nite
I'll be okay then, always got tight hold of my purse, full of moths it is!

Anyone had any medicals done in the North East, looks like York might be our nearest approved. Be a nice day out too!

Hello
we were originally from Co-Durham. We had medicals in Newcastle {Denton Burn I think} and x rays done at the Nuffield Jesmond.
Cheers
Gill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.